ADVERTISEMENT

JWTT DAY 2 Sunday brackets are up

Honestly not sure if I'm being called a troll here or not...looks like I am. I should probably stop replying but I'll post on it once more to try and at least clear my internet name.

I've been posting for a couple years now (longer on FOS) and I think I remain positive on all fronts...I have two boys of my own and it kind of got to me when someone called somebody else's kid out like that. I didn't dive into every post on this thread and perhaps I spoke out of turn.

Sincerely, I'm sorry to have offended anyone - it's really not my style.

Lots of class showing through in your posting, cali!! Don't change a thing.

Reactions: caliPSUfan
Ok he's the age of Junior. Gotcha. Did JPWduh3RD hijack your account?:D

Yes, he's a JR - same age as Spencer, most likely a few months younger because I think Spencer is a summer birthday. Which I don't really have a huge issue with. As was Chance. And tons of kids. Honestly, it's really just the kids that are already older than most everyone in their grades, that get held back again strictly for athletic reasons that it peeves me when the grade modifiers get used. Just say they are great wrestlers and leave it at that.

Reactions: WildTurk
Yes, he's a JR - same age as Spencer, most likely a few months younger because I think Spencer is a summer birthday. Which I don't really have a huge issue with. As was Chance. And tons of kids. Honestly, it's really just the kids that are already older than most everyone in their grades, that get held back again strictly for athletic reasons that it peeves me when the grade modifiers get used. Just say they are great wrestlers and leave it at that.
I thought I read that Teasdale would be almost 20 when he graduates. Is that inaccurate?

Dice - I'm not thrilled by the practice either. And I'm with you about an older Teasdale's 4 titles not being the same as a younger Haines' 4.

I just think it's less bad than having adults creep on kids in order to refer to age instead of class.

At least it's not like the average SEC football freshman, age 27 with 5 years' NFL experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: nitlion6
Summer birthday and you delay kindergarten or hold back early, OK. Repeat a grade because you are switching to an academically challenging school (i.e. private), OK. Repeating in 7th or 8th because you want 6 instead of 5, or 4 instead of 3 state titles, or 3 instead of 2 - I just don't understand it.

Maybe when Mark Hall gets to Happy Valley you can ask him how he got the 6 titles in Mn and one runner up in 7th grade in Kentucky.......just saying.:)

10/29/98, that's Teasdale's DOB. He'll be 19 when he graduates.

Last edited:
I didn't turn 18 until a month before graduation. Two of my best friends were 17 when they graduated and didn't turn 18 until October. I really could have used an extra year. I put on close to 30 pounds my freshmen year of college.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
I didn't turn 18 until a month before graduation. Two of my best friends were 17 when they graduated and didn't turn 18 until October. I really could have used an extra year. I put on close to 30 pounds my freshmen year of college.
I was 17 yrs, 7 months at graduation. I definitely would have preferred not looking like I was 14 as a senior. Grew about 4 inches and put on 30 pounds in 6 months during the summer and first college semester.

I turned 18 a few days before graduation. If my parents gave me an extra year, I would have been grea...

Who am I kidding....I still would have sucked..

Thanks. That's not over the top. It's the October birthday that makes it look like 2 years extra.
I'm assuming he was born in 98 not 88. So he will be about 4 1/2 months shy of his 20th birthday when he graduates. I guess for those who graduated when they were 17, it could look over the top.

Not being from PA, can someone fill me in on what the high school age cutoff is in Pa? When I was in school in KS, if you were 19 before Jan 1st you were ineligible after that date.

Can't be 20 before June 30th following graduation.

Interesting answer, dice. What you wrote is technically correct, though I've never heard it described that way. The actual PIAA rule is:

"Section 1. Maximum Age Rule.

A student shall be ineligible for interscholastic athletic competition upon attaining the age of nineteen years, with the following exception:

If the age of 19 is attained on or after July 1, the student is eligible, age-wise, to compete through that school year."

Reactions: Dogwelder
I was 17 yrs, 7 months at graduation. I definitely would have preferred not looking like I was 14 as a senior. Grew about 4 inches and put on 30 pounds in 6 months during the summer and first college semester.

Same here, I was 17 and didn't turn 18 until late December of my first year of college. Pretty sure I had multiple guys in my district in the same grade that were almost two years older then me. I started to come into my own my senior year and wonder what I could of done with an extra year. Not saying I would of been great, but I was hitting a nice improvement curve when I graduated.

Turned 18 right after HS graduation (July), 1974. Don't remember any games played for "athletic" reasons back then, but some for academics and maturity.

Summer birthday and you delay kindergarten or hold back early, OK. Repeat a grade because you are switching to an academically challenging school (i.e. private), OK. Repeating in 7th or 8th because you want 6 instead of 5, or 4 instead of 3 state titles, or 3 instead of 2 - I just don't understand it.

Maybe when Mark Hall gets to Happy Valley you can ask him how he got the 6 titles in Mn and one runner up in 7th grade in Kentucky.......just saying.:)

Did you miss the multiple posts above where i specifically cited Mark Hall in this discussion?
How can you be this obtuse? Is it deliberate? ;)

Interesting answer, dice. What you wrote is technically correct, though I've never heard it described that way. The actual PIAA rule is:

"Section 1. Maximum Age Rule.

A student shall be ineligible for interscholastic athletic competition upon attaining the age of nineteen years, with the following exception:

If the age of 19 is attained on or after July 1, the student is eligible, age-wise, to compete through that school year."
Thank you sir. The way I read that, if you turned 19 on July 2, you would remain eligible. Is that your interpretation?

In Oklahoma, the cut-off date is September 1.

Thank you sir. The way I read that, if you turned 19 on July 2, you would remain eligible. Is that your interpretation?

In Oklahoma, the cut-off date is September 1.

Correct. 19 on July 2nd before your SR year and you are eligible. Whoever wrote the PIAA language should be given an A+ for obfuscation.

Dice - I'm not thrilled by the practice either. And I'm with you about an older Teasdale's 4 titles not being the same as a younger Haines' 4.

I just think it's less bad than having adults creep on kids in order to refer to age instead of class.

At least it's not like the average SEC football freshman, age 27 with 5 years' NFL experience.

Funny you mention SEC football in this discussion. I clicked on the Yahoo profile of a recent PSU football offer for a kid who is 2018 and was greeted by a photo of a guy who had to be at least 35, lol.

. . . The way I read that, if you turned 19 on July 2, you would remain eligible. Is that your interpretation?
. . .
It reads to me that even if you turn 19 as early as on July 1, you would remain eligible, based on the quoted rule: "If the age of 19 is attained on or after July 1, the student is eligible, age-wise, to compete through that school year."

Note "on or after".

Last edited:
Funny you mention SEC football in this discussion. I clicked on the Yahoo profile of a recent PSU football offer for a kid who is 2018 and was greeted by a photo of a guy who had to be at least 35, lol.
I thought Ohio State had a monopoly on old-looking guys like Greg Oden and Logan Stieber.

gregoden.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT