ADVERTISEMENT

JWTT DAY 2 Sunday brackets are up

Nickal had his chance to overcome this advantage by winning the open at the weight. Valencia showed up and won the open at the weight so that he could sit. At the senior level when going off last year's results to get the bye to the finals I understand the gripes but for this event they all had the opportunity to sit in the finals. You get what you earn.

I think size and Valencia's Hall like ability to not be taken down were bigger factors in the matches than any injuries or the bye to finals format. I got to meet Nickal's dad for the 1st time today. Seems like a solid dude.

Zahid's brother looked really good in his Quarters matchup with a TF, then came Cenzo who proved too much with a strong comeback

was watching the nickal v stevenson match and cassar is sitting on the mat next to cael without a brace or sling or anything for that matter.
Cael can't coach, but maybe he can heal.

NgIkURt.gif

Nice tourney for the Nits. Lee came third? Thats my biggest surprise. Kid is going to be great at 141/149. Won at 74. Nickal and Cassar got nicked up or could have won their weights. Would love to see Suriano, Cortez, Rasheed, and Nevills this summer.

No, I didn't know that about the Altons, who are from my home town. Thank you most sincerely. :rolleyes:

Maybe next time understand the post your responding to. Some people have a harder time oxygenating their blood and muscles than other people do. So my use of the word physiology has nothing to do with your definition of the word (gas tank due to conditioning). With all due respect of course!! :rolleyes:

Now I could be off base with regard to whether they had that issue or not, but that wasn't your point was it?

That was exactly my point. I'll work on my reading comprehension. Thanks. With all due respect.

i think he just needs to gain some mental toughness he's young and losses happen
Anthony a few times chose to wrestle at senior-level events (and did not win) while his brother chose to wrestle at age-correct events (and did win). I always wonder whether going up too high and collecting too many losses too early might harm confidence.

I see what you did there :)
Nothing to do with what I posted but hey why not, right?
giphy.gif

It was all in good fun. if someone is in the quarters of junior worlds, Wow, that's enough for me to be in awe, nothing but admiration and best wishes.

That was exactly my point. I'll work on my reading comprehension. Thanks. With all due respect.
No, the point of your post was a mean-spirited drive by shooting. I think we all got the point you were trying to make, or should I say put down you were trying to make.

Nickal had his chance to overcome this advantage by winning the open at the weight. Valencia showed up and won the open at the weight so that he could sit. At the senior level when going off last year's results to get the bye to the finals I understand the gripes but for this event they all had the opportunity to sit in the finals. You get what you earn.

I think size and Valencia's Hall like ability to not be taken down were bigger factors in the matches than any injuries or the bye to finals format. I got to meet Nickal's dad for the 1st time today. Seems like a solid dude.

It's amazing how some people see what they want to see. I just made an observation, nothing more. Yes I know it's the rule, didn't I mention USA wrestling having their reasons? ….and that reason is to give an advantage to a proven medal winner at the senior level or in this case the winner of Jr. Nationals. This advantage is recognized by the wrestling community and it's merits have been debated ad nauseam on the USA forum. Your post and wildturk's don't really offer anything new or insightful here and the whole point seems to be irritate the PSU fans after a loss.

btw, you make an assumption that Nickal could of went to Jr. Nationals. Do you know that for a fact?

Reactions: Pennstate1985
Maybe I'm missing something here but I didn't think Papa's post was all that bad and I certainly don't think it warranted any personal attacks.

As for Bo, all that I see stated is that there was an 'opportunity' for him to go earn the right to sit until the end - for whatever reason he didn't (or was unable to) and it made his road that much harder.

Maybe I'm missing some history here or something and I usually stay out of these things completely, but this seemed a little over the top to me.

Reactions: minnhawkeye
Sigh, yet another newbie poster with an agenda looking to instigate. Quote the so called personal attack because just saying it doesn't make it a fact; and yes you are missing something, I was addressing wildturk's post as well. Maybe read more carefully next time, or better yet, take your own advise and keep your nose out of it.

Last edited:
The Tiger is angry this morning. He is probably just hungry. I always feel better after a full healthy breakfast.
Im not really sure what bad thing or personal attack Papa and I have done here but me thinks FT is being dramatic already at 6am today.

…and the wildturk is being obtuse this morning. Lets see, so in this thread I have been called an idiot by McMuffin, an excuse maker by you and papa bear for simply expressing my desire to see how Bo would of done without all the prior matches and then this morning falsely accused of making personal attacks. Yea, it's all daisies and donuts around here.

Zahid's brother looked really good in his Quarters matchup with a TF, then came Cenzo who proved too much with a strong comeback

This is what I was addressing as over the top...correct me if I am wrong, but is this not a slam on papa's kid?

The Tiger is angry this morning. He is probably just hungry. I always feel better after a full healthy breakfast.
Im not really sure what bad thing or personal attack Papa and I have done here but me thinks FT is being dramatic already at 6am today.

All that hate. I suggest you go back, put on the old video of the Gable era, or even the 3 Brands titles, and chill out!

A Valencia: 174
Z Valencia: 184

was watching the nickal v stevenson match and cassar is sitting on the mat next to cael without a brace or sling or anything for that matter.

Same goes for the picture with Cenzo, Bo and Nolf on page 6 - no sling. I'm not sure what to make of it, but here's hoping it's not too serious.

Same goes for the picture with Cenzo, Bo and Nolf on page 6 - no sling. I'm not sure what to make of it, but here's hoping it's not too serious.
The p. 6 pic appeared to be their arrival at DFW airport.

All great points, but you really believe Nolf would beat Hall in Folk? I understand the differences, but I saw a talent gap today that translates across styles IMO

Yes, I would slightly favor Nolf over Hall in folkstyle, but as I noted I think it would be close. Hall is very good at FS, while Nolf seems to be working his way into it. Nolf hasn't as adapted his wrestling to FS nearly as much as Hall has. We likely will never know who would win in folkstyle, as they will be on the same team and at different weights. Either way, I love having both of them in PSU singlets!!

I've only been following freestyle consistently for a couple years now, so I'm clearly no expert......But it seems to me that really offensive guys like Nolf, DT, etc....and also guys that are more funky, like Ruth, seem to struggle more in FS?? Guys with a good shot and solid defense that dont put themselves in bad situations and can avoid giving up exposure pts off of their own offensive attacks are the one who thrive internationally. I feel that is why Nolf doesnt beat Hall in FS. A folk match would be alot of fun to watch.

I've only been following freestyle consistently for a couple years now, so I'm clearly no expert......But it seems to me that really offensive guys like Nolf, DT, etc....and also guys that are more funky, like Ruth, seem to struggle more in FS?? Guys with a good shot and solid defense that dont put themselves in bad situations and can avoid giving up exposure pts off of their own offensive attacks are the one who thrive internationally. I feel that is why Nolf doesnt beat Hall in FS. A folk match would be alot of fun to watch.
Hard to compare, the styles are so different, regarding exposures. Hall has been wrestling FS for quite some time, where, if I'm not mistaken, Nolf's first FS matches were just last summer.

Anthony a few times chose to wrestle at senior-level events (and did not win) while his brother chose to wrestle at age-correct events (and did win). I always wonder whether going up too high and collecting too many losses too early might harm confidence.
that might have something to do with it but while i believe he is very talented i never thought he was a real threat on that senior level to the second tier at 74 kg (1st tier is a 1 man show), even if Anthony would have chose to wrestle in his age group i can't see things changing much for him i think Zahid is just better and always has been

Reactions: Dogwelder

Ruth made the world team his first year out, and Hall is pretty funky as well, but I think you do have a point. Nolf in particular puts himself in positions that are simply off the table in FS. Certain types of wrestlers probably can adapt to the switch more naturally simply because there's less adapting to do; and I don't think Nolf is one of them. Nolf added a leg lace to his offense but I don't think he has the upper body to have a consistent par terre game. He's pretty good at not getting turned, but Hall still rolled him once with a trapped arm. But he's going to have to add some upper body before he'll be gut wrenching guys at the top level.

Last edited:
Reactions: NittanyLion84
Sigh, yet another newbie poster with an agenda looking to instigate. Quote the so called personal attack because just saying it doesn't make it a fact; and yes you are missing something, I was addressing wildturk's post as well. Maybe read more carefully next time, or better yet, take your own advise and keep your nose out of it.

I assure you that I have no agenda and I was pretty surprised by your post considering I was referencing someone else's post that was a personal attack on someone's kid...just thought it was unnecessary.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
Yep, now I understand your comment as Early wrestled Valencia in the quarters. I'm still salty FT told me I had a juvenile fixation on his posts when I've responded to him a total of 3 times on here and one was merely asking for clarification that he knew it was Brandon and not Brian Courtney, which led to him becoming tiresome of my juvenile fixation of his posts.

Gross is really crafty - was just saying that to somebody here in his previous match against Freeman (who is impressive, he's also a JR in HS). I had a feeling Lee's aggressiveness was going to be a problem for him. He just doesn't have the finishes yet at this point in his career to deal with somebody like Gross. You could really see it on his 2nd attack which was a double.

But as I've been saying for a year now, he's right up there with as big time of a pickup as we've had - especially when you consider we got his brother in the package. He is a super recruit that nobody talks about.
I'm right there with you on Nick Lee. He's gotten lost among all the recruits but I think he's gonna eventually be a fan favorite and one we expect to see as a threat to win the title. I watched a lot of video of him this weekend and he wrestles so much like Matt McDonough. Hell, he even looks like him and has the same build.

Yep, now I understand your comment as Early wrestled Valencia in the quarters. I'm still salty FT told me I had a juvenile fixation on his posts when I've responded to him a total of 3 times on here and one was merely asking for clarification that he knew it was Brandon and not Brian Courtney, which led to him becoming tiresome of my juvenile fixation of his posts.
Not sure you got the truth on that one.

I've screwed that one up myself and one of them is from Az. Both studs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT