ADVERTISEMENT

U23 World Championships - Oct 21-27, 2024

Don’t think it’s a harbinger of things to come by any means. But both matches today for Mesenbrink really showed the holes in his game. Wanting to score and being aggressive is great. But he puts himself in a lot of positions to give up easy reattacks.
This.

Not even re-attacks so much as he just leaves himself open to a lot of clean entries. There are just very few people who can beat him in a scramble. His head-hands is going to have to get a lot better.

Mitchell was also hurt that this was his first competition since Trials. He is very much a rhythm and timing based wrestler, and you could tell he just was a quarter-second too slow on most of his attacks.

And once again. Japan continues to elevate. As often as they like to attack, that was as impressive a handfight/headblocking as I've seen since Abakarov-Vito.

Don’t think it’s a harbinger of things to come by any means. But both matches today for Mesenbrink really showed the holes in his game. Wanting to score and being aggressive is great. But he puts himself in a lot of positions to give up easy reattacks.
Sure he can be more defensive but who the hell wants that? I love his style and hope he don’t change a thing.

I’d rather see a guy lose and entertain every match than win a 3-2 snooze fest

Reactions: lookleft goright
Sure he can be more defensive but who the hell wants that? I love his style and hope he don’t change a thing.

I’d rather see a guy lose and entertain every match than win a 3-2 snooze fest

You can do both. And he will. Look at JB, DT. Being more disciplined with his head is going to make him jump levels. Think about it like this - he can't get to a guys legs unless his head is lower anyway. So it's the same discipline.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
Mitchell just looked rusty. Like a guy who hasn't had a "real" live match in a while.

The guy he just lost to would kill everyone else at the NCAA level. That guy is a monster.

Reactions: vhsalum
I infer "CP" is the amount of points the losing competitor scored (as "TP" is the victor's score).

I don't know what the abbreviation stands for (if that is the intent of your question). I did a couple searches to no avail.

i-demand-tp-i-demand-tp-beavis.gif

I don't understand why MM didn't scream every time he was about to give up points, apparently that's the best defense in freestyle.

Probably because what MM did hurt jackazz.

MM was ABSOLUTELY headbutting. And they take that more seriously in FS. And the one time MM was in on a leg and Takahashi called injury was legit. He DID put himself there, so it wasn't MM doing anything untoward - but that was a good call and I would want that call made for every wrestler.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
I had no clue who our U23 125kg rep is, until I looked him up on WS.

Lucas Stoddard. He's a USMA sophomore who was 22-16 and a natty qualifier. Went 0-2, losing to Davison then Catka.

Looks absolutely gigantic compared to the Russian he's wrestling. Surprisingly nimble. Just won, 1-1 on criteria.

Last edited:
False choice.

Besides, this issue was also exposed by Carr in the NCAA finals and by Burroughs at Trials.
Hamiti at Big Tens too, honestly. Can’t put yourself in a giant hole every time against elite guys and assume your pace will bail you out.

MM was ABSOLUTELY headbutting. And they take that more seriously in FS. And the one time MM was in on a leg and Takahashi called injury was legit. He DID put himself there, so it wasn't MM doing anything untoward - but that was a good call and I would want that call made for every wrestler.
He was grabbing his knee and writhing in pain then a minute later he's up and fine. And if feeling pain on a wrestling mat means the action should be stopped there would literally be no pins. Do you think guys go to their back because the other wrestler says "Pretty, pretty please let me turn you"?

• Haha
False choice.

Besides, this issue was also exposed by Carr in the NCAA finals and by Burroughs at Trials.
My point is..this IS his style. Shoot and keep shooting, bring the pace..took DT how many years to figure out a happy medium?

He's a 21 yr old sophmore..he'll figure it out. Pretty easy after the very few losses the kid takes to critique his defense, when the reason most love watching him is his offense. When he's 28 yrs old and still giving up the legs on reattacks, I'll be more critical

My point is..this IS his style. Shoot and keep shooting, bring the pace..took DT how many years to figure out a happy medium?

He's a 21 yr old sophmore..he'll figure it out. Pretty easy after the very few losses the kid takes to critique his defense, when the reason most love watching him is his offense. When he's 28 yrs old and still giving up the legs on reattacks, I'll be more critical
I don’t think anyone here wants Mitch to change his style. Just support it with better defense. You can do both.

Fine…but the takedown was basically completed Award the 2 and put the Japanese guy down after he came back from injury time.

How does one go from looking like he needs a stretcher to bouncing around with no sign of distress (except for being really tired) the rest of the match?

Reactions: SlipperyPete12
Fine…but the takedown was basically completed Award the 2 and put the Japanese guy down after he came back from injury time.

How does one go from looking like he needs a stretcher to bouncing around with no sign of distress (except for being really tired) the rest of the match?
I did think they should have awarded the score there. I also didn’t like the 2nd attention they gave Mitch for putting his palm on Takahashi’s forehead. Seemed fine. But we know how handsy MM can be, so the others were definitely warranted.

Cold spray. It's amazing. Helps wrestlers attack immediately. However, seems to wear off when they need to return to center. Can't understand why U.S. doesn't use it more.

• Haha
He was grabbing his knee and writhing in pain then a minute later he's up and fine. And if feeling pain on a wrestling mat means the action should be stopped there would literally be no pins. Do you think guys go to their back because the other wrestler says "Pretty, pretty please let me turn you"?

This isn't submission grappling weirdo.

Adrenaline. Sheer, pure adrenaline. But you could see late in the match that pain was coming back. Don't underestimate just how tough these guys are.

And no, you shouldn't give the 2. We used to have "basically completed" points, remember that? Yuck.

He was defending when the injury time was called. The chair called it even before the on-mat ref did.

So, is Mitchell into repechage already or does Takahashi need to win his next match to draw Mitchell back in?
Yes. Takahashi has to win to pull Mitchell back in. Unless his knee doesn't hold up, he'll be fine. He beat the 2 best guys in the bracket. and beat them bad.

Weirdo. Hahahaha. That's awesome.
I just love the cold spray.

LOLOLOL. It's amazing dude. JB tried it and he said it didn't do anything! Cold spray works different on foreigners.

The Japanese wrestler was on one leg for 2/3 of the match. He’s a level above Mitch for now. Definitely areas to improve on.

Defense is for suckers who ain’t got enough offense.

I’ll take 50 MM’s.
I attribute his style to the School of Ben Askren and his old man. I wouldn't change a single thing about the way he wrestles when it comes to folkstyle. If people were asked, barring injury what wrestler is most likely to go unbeaten the next 3 years, more times than not Mitch would be the answer. He will give up points but his relentless attacking makes up for it tenfold... He's also so likeable he's gonna be a recruiting gem for us for years. Love him!

Reactions: vhsalum and hlstone
I attribute his style to the School of Ben Askren and his old man. I wouldn't change a single thing about the way he wrestles when it comes to folkstyle. If people were asked, barring injury what wrestler is most likely to go unbeaten the next 3 years, more times than not Mitch would be the answer. He will give up points but his relentless attacking makes up for it tenfold... He's also so likeable he's gonna be a recruiting gem for us for years. Love him!

and don't forget in folk, scrambles are far more forgiving.

After rewatching his last match, and now Takahashi and Asluev, I'm of the opinion that MM was giving up 5-7lbs at the start of the match. Maybe more.

MM looks a bit thicker than last year but these guys are monsters and are pulling some real weight to get down to scratch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT