ADVERTISEMENT

U23 World Championships - Oct 21-27, 2024

Mitchell's bracket is out here: https://arena.uww.org/weight-category/show/1ef8164a-4b2e-6758-b5f3-1dec59659665/bracket/print

Any instant analysis from those that know something about the field (@zzs006 @vhsalum @wrestlingfan22 )?
Seems he'd have the Iranian pretty early.
From USA Wrestling on his round 1 opponent: "His first-round opponent is Murat Dzhakupov of Kazakhstan, who was a silver medalist at the 2023 Stepan Sargsyan Tournament on the Senior level"

Reactions: SlipperyPete12
Takahashi from Japan is legit however he could beat Reza, he was 2024 senior Asians 74kg champ and took 3rd at 2022 70kg U23s worlds with only loss coming to baby Yaz

Gadzhiev on other side is good, he took 3rd at 2024 Zagreb, beating Quincy Monday and losing to Abouzaripa from Iran (Who Takahasi beat at Senior Asians). He was also a 2022 u20 world champ at 70kg

For his semi: Asluev took 3rd at 2023 Senior Asians (Went 0-1 at senior worlds). He also has a past really close match with Gadzhiev.
Batsukh took 4th at 2024 U23 Asians and Chkhitunidze took 3rd at 2024 U23 Euros only losing to Gadzhiev. He was 5th at 2022 74kg U20s (where he also lost to Gadzhiev. I would expect the other quarter to be Asluev vs Chkhi and that one of those will be MMs semi opponent.

Also just fully dawned on me that one of Takahasi, MM and Reza will go 0-1 in this tournament with the way the draw came out. Just Brutal.

The guy people might be sleeping on the other side is Orozobek Toktomambetov. He won U23 Asians, Beat Jaideep at OG Qualifier and lost 3-1 to Chamizo at Last Chance. He lost on criteria to Zapf at last years U23s. He took 3rd at 2023 Senior Asians (70kg)

I like MM side of the bracket much better. Takahashi and Reza are both really good but I definitely favor Mesenbrink. We saw what he did to Lockett and Lockett gave Reza a super tough match. He wrestles a hard pace so not sure MM will break him but it’s possible. I actually think Takahashi beats Reza though and will be a tough test for MM but one I absolutely think he wins. On the other side I really think highly of Gadzhiev. Super tough to score on and has a championship pedigree. Orozobek and Khaniev could make the final as well. Harutyunyan and Ciftci are good as well. I definitely think the top side is deeper but the bottom has 3 of the best guys. 2 of them meet first round though. I think MM wins it all with a tough second match and tough final

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT