ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread Michigan - Fri, Jan 19

DT was constant pressure all the way to the finals as a freshman, and that pressure cost him vs Bubba.

Nolf was high motor and pressure and Martinez chided him in public for it…and then lost to Nolf.

I mean, we all understand what you mean, but MM isn’t paving new ground. There simply have been others before him. Brent Metcalf comes to mind. Cael was not a patient wrestler….took lots of ground on the mat.
The scary part is he is a freshman. If he continues to improve then wtf are we going to see next year and the year after and the year after. It's going to be nasty as hell. No out is going to want to wrestle this kid he's relentless on the mat add that with an improving wrestling IQ and you get Nolf 2.0

Reactions: donboy6499
I agree that I love having him as a fantastic back-up. That said, I'm at the point where I am almost rooting for him to transfer. The young man just deserves a shot to start somewhere. After all, how long is a typical "career" in wrestling for someone like Bearclaw? Take your shot, son.
A lot can happen in a year, e.g., Levi could take a shirt and Terrell, Alex and Mitch can sort thru the 57/65/74 spots.

DT was constant pressure all the way to the finals as a freshman, and that pressure cost him vs Bubba.

Nolf was high motor and pressure and Martinez chided him in public for it…and then lost to Nolf.

I mean, we all understand what you mean, but MM isn’t paving new ground. There simply have been others before him. Brent Metcalf comes to mind. Cael was not a patient wrestler….took lots of ground on the mat.
I think Brooks is being overlooked for a wrestler that creates constant pressure.

125 - Benjamin Button just keeps surprising. Is there an age limit in the NCAA? Just don't rank him #1.
133 - No worries, work on finishing and you'll be fine. He has the tools to beat Crookham
141 - Speaks of being more aggressive, but the eyes don't lie. Live by the sword die by the sword young man He may just manage every match to the finals, but I need a Valium to watch it.
149 sick time, but we are deep
157 solid but spend more time vs Mitch, or maybe that's the issue, has that maniac tarnished your confidence?
165 Taz is an unstoppable destructive force, he is in the finals conversation now. PS - Biting won't help you.
174 sick time. Did the Claw just do what we saw him do? 'Pride' is all that I can say
184 I see a low AA. I thought down a weight under Cael we would see a jump. Not yet. He is a one hit wonder on offense. Isn't Diversity a buzz word these days?
197 - Sit back and enjoy a Jedi master. He's the second best all around wrestler at this weight in the entire world right now.
HWT - Kong is a force of nature.

I can’t imagine anything more embarrassing than getting DQd for stalling against a freshman, in front of your home crowd. But Amine had nothing for MM, and it was only luck or referee incompetence that he wasn’t DQd.
If you wanna laugh go watch the interview flo just did with amine before the match

Reactions: ccdiver
You know what I think about with Nagao: young Nico. Aggressive almost to a fault. I am not criticizing, because I love aggressive wrestling, but I just throw it out for debate.
Nico was another guy who applied a lot of pressure, constantly stalking his opponents.

This is the answer. Carter and Kasak will be back tomorrow and 2 or 3 others will sit instead. They brought 15 guys on the trip. I expect we’ll see at least 14. I’d love to see Robbie get a match. We’ll probably see Barr, too, but I don’t know exactly who the 15 guys are.
Robbie? As in Robert Howard? He is not among the 15 PSU wrestlers to make the trip to the mitten state.

The five non-starters on the trip are::
Steen
Evans
Bearclaw
Ball
Cochran

If we’re making comparisons, I’d describe Mesenbrink’s neutral style as 1 part Nolf, 1 part DeSanto, and a dash of Marinelli.

And of course, it is the Nolf part that will
make him a champ. 😉

Reactions: PSU James
Robbie? As in Robert Howard? He is not among the 15 PSU wrestlers to make the trip to the mitten state.

The five non-starters on the trip are::
Steen
Evans
Bearclaw
Ball
Cochran
Gotcha. I didn’t know who it was. Looks like at least two of Davis, Truax, and Brooks will sit tomorrow.

If we’re making comparisons, I’d describe Mesenbrink’s neutral style as 1 part Nolf, 1 part DeSanto, and a dash of Marinelli.

And of course, it is the Nolf part that will
make him a champ. 😉
I can assure you there is 0 Marinelli in there.

Nolf as a base, Zain on the side and Nick Lee on the top.

Reactions: Ski
Marinelli was a 4x Big Ten Champ. I know he underperformed at NCAAs but winning Big Tens is no joke. Here’s a short list of some pretty good B1G wrestlers that never won 4 conference championships:

Spencer Lee
Tom Brands
Terry Brands
Jason Nolf
Bo Nickal
Mark Hall
Vincenzo Joseph
Etc.

Gotcha. I didn’t know who it was. Looks like at least two of Davis, Truax, and Brooks will sit tomorrow.
Truax missed the Indiana dual last weekend, so I would expect him to go against MSU. Plus, Malczewski of MSU is a pretty decent opponent, though he's scuffled some this season.

Also don't see any good reason to sit out Davis against MSU, particularly since Davis is in his home state.

Brooks, conversely, will probably only wrestle one match per weekend throughout the entire season. So look for Cochran fill in against Sparty.

I can assure you there is 0 Marinelli in there.

Nolf as a base, Zain on the side and Nick Lee on the top.
Then you must have missed the club in the one exchange when Amine tried to assert himself in center . . . and the steady pressure and angle-cutting to keep Amine’s butt on the OOB line much of the remainder of the match. Sure looked like elements of Bull’s style to me.

Exactly who is going to tell Carter he is not taking the trip?

The only person who would want to do that would have been Shane Griffith.
It was noted him sitting out was a last minute decision. Likely he woke up not feeling great. But left State College feeling fine.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT