ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread Michigan - Fri, Jan 19

Don’t get the Nagao angst. It’s arrogant to think non-Lions can’t improve without our staff. Just practicing to perfect what you already do well, taking better advantage of in-match situations, and personal motivation can lead to success outside Happy Valley, regardless of coaching. Ragusin was a tough out who has gotten tougher. Nagao wrestled an impressively aggressive match against a solid AA threat and learned of areas to improve in the perfect month to learn it. Giving Dylan his due, but would pick Aaron in any rematch.

Don’t get the Nagao angst. It’s arrogant to think non-Lions can’t improve without our staff. Just practicing to perfect what you already do well, taking better advantage of in-match situations, and personal motivation can lead to success outside Happy Valley, regardless of coaching. Ragusin was a tough out who has gotten tougher. Nagao wrestled an impressively aggressive match against a solid AA threat and learned of areas to improve in the perfect month to learn it. Giving Dylan his due, but would pick Aaron in any rematch.
I think the inordinate amount of time Ragusin spent not attacking and not getting hit with a stall call is what stuck with me from that match. A lack of aggressiveness should never be rewarded. They are both really good.

I think the inordinate amount of time Ragusin spent not attacking and not getting hit with a stall call is what stuck with me from that match. A lack of aggressiveness should never be rewarded. They are both really good.
I vote that SuperTodd add an avatar. Everytime I see him post, I think Willie is coming by for his next payment from the Slush Fund.

I just re-watched Mesenbrink's matches against Oregon State and Michigan. His gas tank and pace are phenomenal! For all of his insane forward pressure he does a great job of not getting out of position. He did get caught under Amine a few times in neutral, but Angel stalemated those more quickly as the match progressed and it was obvious Amine was just using those moments to take a breather. I am also impressed by Mesenbrink's top and bottom game. He cannot only ride tough, but as could be seen from the Oregon State match he has the ability to turn people also. Given what Cody said about Mesenbrink's desire to add to his skill set and his ability to learn new moves quickly, it is a scary thought to think how much more improvement potential he has.

Someone else mentioned they could foresee Mesenbrink adding the Winn Dixie to his repertoire. I could see that also since I think you will start seeing more wrestlers take bad shots against him in the hope of avoid stalling calls, potentially opening themselves up to falling victim to the Winn Dixie.

Mesenbrink has quickly become one of the "mustn't miss" Penn State wrestlers for me, right up there with, in alphabetical order : ), Brooks, Nickal, Nolf, Retherford, Ruth, Starocci, and Taylor!

Exactly. Actually this is what Cael thrives on. Last week he mentioned learning from losses and how to get better

Exactly. Actually this is what Cael thrives on. Last week he mentioned learning from losses and how to get better

My big concern with AN yesterday was the fact he had the leverage time-&-again yesterday, but then gave up the leverage via just plain bad decisions regarding body positioning - including his last shot where he went from a near certain TD to being pinned.

Even Cael threw his hands up, shock his head and just chuckled that he could go from clear TD position to getting pinned liked that by losing his his leverage and balance by getting off "center of gravity".

Last edited:
Yeah, I’m not worried. All due credit to Ragusin for finding a way to pin Nagao’s shoulders down and hold them there. That was a great move to cap off the most exciting match of the dual. But Nagao was the better wrestler for most of the match. With some minor adjustments, he’ll get it next time.

I can’t imagine anything more embarrassing than getting DQd for stalling against a freshman, in front of your home crowd. But Amine had nothing for MM, and it was only luck or referee incompetence that he wasn’t DQd.
Amine looked exhausted. Amine has been more than solid his entire career. MM is very good but let's not ignore the possibility that some Michigan guys were also under the weather.

Reactions: Fatmarc
Nagao is trying to be more aggressive this year. Clearly taking more shots. That leaves more opportunities for re-attacks. I am certain that Cael is happy with more shots being taken and will train him to defend the re-attacks. It is only January. He has two more months in the room to clean things up. In Cael we trust :)

Reactions: Psubiomed
I watched the match on a bar at Disney. Was surprised how many rasslin fans came up and said hello
I never reported my receipt of a “We Are” in Disney a couple months ago

Go to your local bar, they'll have the BTN. You'll probably meet some other wrestling fans who will gather near the TV. I know I always do.
I went to a bar last night and all I heard was about how wrestling is "gay" and that they didn't like to watch men in spandex. Naturally I assumed that they must be gay because watching wrestling and equating it with sex is pretty damn gay.

I went to a bar last night and all I heard was about how wrestling is "gay" and that they didn't like to watch men in spandex. Naturally I assumed that they must be gay because watching wrestling and equating it with sex is pretty damn gay.
Maybe you were at a gay bar? Sometimes those things happen on accident.

A long time ago, I got really drunk in Ashland, Oregon with a friend. We stumbled into a bar full of women & thought we'd hit the jackpot. We hit on as many as we could & got shut down all night. The next day, I told a local guy the story & he couldn't stop laughing. Apparently, we'd stumbled into the local lesbian bar, but were way too drunk to realize it. Oops! That's when everything started making sense. Lol.

A long time ago, I got really drunk in Ashland, Oregon with a friend. We stumbled into a bar full of women & thought we'd hit the jackpot. We hit on as many as we could & got shut down all night. The next day, I told a local guy the story & he couldn't stop laughing. Apparently, we'd stumbled into the local lesbian bar, but were way too drunk to realize it. Oops! That's when everything started making sense. Lol.
In my youth, I could get shut down all night anywhere, it didn’t have to be a lesbian bar. LOL:

Do you remember the name of the bar?? I travel to Oregon for work on occasion. I identify as lesbian so…

I have a buddy who is gay and was a former boxer, dude Is probably the toughest guy I know. He is super gay. And super bad too 😂

It's definitely not a gay bar, it was just full of morons last night.

BTW, I used to go to a bar back in the 90s with a buddy and we absolutely KILLED it with the ladies. If I didn't get at least two phone numbers a week there was something wrong. It turns out is was a gay bar one night a week and we were the only two straight guys but everybody knew we were straight. If I was single I'd love it if there was still a place like that.

• Haha
Reactions: SlipperyPete12
I’m sort of with you on this. And leave the match commentary to the coaching staff as a general matter. Came across as Ricky Bobby saying he pisses excellence.
this poster has started to use photos with permission, it seems. At least attribution, anyway.

Trash move by Amine though:

Damn. How long will Mitchell be out for the rabies shots.

So there is no way to watch the match at all unless you have btn
Is BTN plus showing the Michigan State verses PSU match for free like they did last week?

I dont see it on BTN.

And I dont see it on the thread pinned on top

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT