ADVERTISEMENT

Non-participation in bowl games

DrJC

May 29, 2001
Sorry, I will not give any player a pass for not participating in a bowl game. I know all the reasons and excuses for not playing, but they do not sit well with me. I feel they are abandoning their fellow team members. I would not want them in a foxhole with me. I just do not buy into them not playing. This combined with the portal - shut it all down and start a semi-pro league they can play in and then go straight to the pro league.

you-have-to-accept-reality-delusional.gif

It is surely frustrating to all involved, however, until we are in that position are we really in a spot to judge?

How many of you grew up poor? How many of you at age 22 had a chance to change the fortune of your family? How many of you at 22 were about to go in to the interview of a lifetime?

As I said, frustrating for sure, but there are some things that are understandable.

What is happening as well is this stuff usually didn't happen at Penn State. People stayed 4-5 years and talk about all the great things the university and State College bring. I think it is fair to say we are recruiting a different mindset and that is ok. Hopefully we start to see some more wins on Saturdays!!

PS.....I know we will get one or two saying yes to all the above questions. Remember there are exceptions to every rule.

It is surely frustrating to all involved, however, until we are in that position are we really in a spot to judge?

How many of you grew up poor? How many of you at age 22 had a chance to change the fortune of your family? How many of you at 22 were about to go in to the interview of a lifetime?

As I said, frustrating for sure, but there are some things that are understandable.

What is happening as well is this stuff usually didn't happen at Penn State. People stayed 4-5 years and talk about all the great things the university and State College bring. I think it is fair to say we are recruiting a different mindset and that is ok. Hopefully we start to see some more wins on Saturdays!!

PS.....I know we will get one or two saying yes to all the above questions. Remember there are exceptions to every rule.
Let's get back to recruiting a different mindset.

I get people sitting out but I think if you sit out then you should pay back the grant in aid and all other income you accrued from that season. Seems only fair. As this becomes more of a semipro league the contracts should work both ways. I don't like it but the die is already cast.

Sorry, I will not give any player a pass for not participating in a bowl game. I know all the reasons and excuses for not playing, but they do not sit well with me. I feel they are abandoning their fellow team members. I would not want them in a foxhole with me. I just do not buy into them not playing. This combined with the portal - shut it all down and start a semi-pro league they can play in and then go straight to the pro league.
These kids should do what they want and how it helps their family or personal situation. If you don’t like it tough 💩. I’m sure they are sorry they didn’t take your feelings under consideration.

Most of us do not like it. Unfortunately it is now going to be the norm going forward with all the lax rules. Loyalty seems to be phasing out with some of the high end D1 players. I have no proof, but my hunch is that affiliation with agents are influencing many of these decisions.

Reactions: roswelllion
I hear ya. But a football field and a foxhole are quite different.

However, it is their life/career. And in some cases, CJF probably suggests they consider sitting out.
I don't blame the players. I blame the NCAA. All professional sports have free agency but not in the middle of a season. Can you imagine a star MLB pitcher opting out of the playoffs because he wanted to save his arm for his next team?

It's not fair to the fans who pay for everything. They spend a couple of $thousand to attend a bowl game only to find out the players they came to see decided not to play.

I don't blame the players. I blame the NCAA. All professional sports have free agency but not in the middle of a season. Can you imagine a star MLB pitcher opting out of the playoffs because he wanted to save his arm for his next team?

It's not fair to the fans who pay for everything. They spend a couple of $thousand to attend a bowl game only to find out the players they came to see decided not to play.
Oh I agree. NCAA fought it so hard and now instead of something milder, we now have the wild Wild West.

Everyone in NCAA leadership should be forced to resign. Incompetents and cowards.

Can you imagine a star MLB pitcher opting out of the playoffs because he wanted to save his arm for his next team?
This happens a lot in HS baseball. Oh, your stud pitcher's turn to pitch this district playoff game? No, he has a showcase on Saturday. The logical progression is exactly what you describe if you think about it.

A scout sees your kid pitch on Saturday while his HS team got blown out of the playoffs, but he got a scholarship offer at Wattsamatta U. OK, so what does he tell his coach in college, hey I can't go tomorrow, I have an offer from the Mets on a rookie deal. Gets to spring training, hey skip, I can't go tomorrow, I don't want to get my arm jacked up for A-ball. Etc, etc. Where does it stop. At some point you're supposed to actually perform.

Reactions: RickinDayton
These kids should do what they want and how it helps their family or personal situation. If you don’t like it tough 💩. I’m sure they are sorry they didn’t take your feelings under consideration.
CVille - These players need to think about the alumni and fans who don't give a darn about their future and are pissed they can't watch them play a meaningless game that has no bearing - zero - on the teams final standings or future success. Shame on these kids to think only of themselves when their head coach just renegotiated his renegotiated contract for more money - and other coaches have left the program for more money and better opportunities! Don''t these kids know that only coaches, their leaders, can do what's best for themselves and not players?

Being a PSU football player is a great honor, accomplishment and wonderful part of their lives. But its simply a small portion of their lives - like 3 or 4 years out of 80. Lets thank them, wish them well and cheer for their future success.

Thanks for choosing Penn State guys! It''s been a blast!

This happens a lot in HS baseball. Oh, your stud pitcher's turn to pitch this district playoff game? No, he has a showcase on Saturday. The logical progression is exactly what you describe if you think about it.

A scout sees your kid pitch on Saturday while his HS team got blown out of the playoffs, but he got a scholarship offer at Wattsamatta U. OK, so what does he tell his coach in college, hey I can't go tomorrow, I have an offer from the Mets on a rookie deal. Gets to spring training, hey skip, I can't go tomorrow, I don't want to get my arm jacked up for A-ball. Etc, etc. Where does it stop. At some point you're supposed to actually perform.
IMO that's a bit different. Fans (customers) aren't paying $thousands to watch high school games.

Lol. A star MLB pitcher, with a guarnteed contract to make hundreds of millions? Compared to a college athlete who skips one game, to help ensure they don’t get hurt, so they can make money. What an outrage to the fans who pay for “everything.”

Its not a hidden secret, if a fan is afraid they won’t see a few players play, its simple, don’t go.

Reactions: RGWhirly
Penn State’s Job is to give a kid an opportunity and to educate them to think right.
if they choose not to play it’s because they weighed the pros and cons
and made an educated decision. Kudos to PSU for givIng them a proper education.
These kids work so hard and put their bodies at risk. If they decide to prepare for the combine
and to make a big check be happy for them.

It’s a cultural thing…this entire generation is “me first” with everything, it’s not just a football thing.

Reactions: NoBareFeet
And it won’t be long before it leeches into the season…kids will be quitting as soon as eliminated from playoffs…and then as soon as eliminated from conference…and then…it’s the opt out generation!

Reactions: NoBareFeet
It’s a cultural thing…this entire generation is “me first” with everything, it’s not just a football thing.
Yea whatever......it's a decision by a young person on what path gives them the best chance to achieve generational wealth for their family. I think they would be very well served to not give a rats ass what any of us think.

I don't blame the players. I blame the NCAA....

I blame the NCAA for, among other things, passing off a bunch of exhibitions as their excuse for a post-season. Four teams get to play meaningful games, but everyone else is supposed to show up for the bowls. It's nonsense.

CVille - These players need to think about the alumni and fans who don't give a darn about their future and are pissed they can't watch them play a meaningless game that has no bearing - zero - on the teams final standings or future success.
I keep hearing this as it pertains to the bowl game....meaningless game. For those who feel this way, what defines a "meaningless game"? Which games, if any, have meaning? Because to me, if you are a player and a competitor, and you are representing your school, ALL games have meaning. Apparently I'm wrong!

Reactions: Old Jock and therod
Whether we like it or not the opt outs are here to stay. Looks like you can take your top 3-5 players who are 3+ years in the program and they are guaranteed opt outs for all bowl games excluding playoff games.

I would love to see these guys play but it is a business decision. I do wonder where this ends though. Do they start opting out of meaningless regular season games once eliminated from the playoff? Or after they are eliminated from the conference? You wonder why they did not opt out of that blizzard game against Sparty. Next do the underclassmen stars all start opting out. For example, in the future could a Parker Washington type player opt out? So a solid Sophomore or Freshman can opt out? Don't want to get hurt and impact your next season. These bowl games could end up dissolving into our scout team playing in the future.

After you graduated Med school did you practice for free for a couple of months?

Reactions: bison13 and auxgym
It is quitting on your team, quitting on your school. There is no denying that. Very selfish act. And the woke sports media loves it.
I don't see a lot of media types celebrating the players who are opting out. If anything, they are citing to the business considerations behind the decisions. I'm sure the network executives hate the lack of some marquis players for their broadcasts.

Whether we like it or not the opt outs are here to stay. Looks like you can take your top 3-5 players who are 3+ years in the program and they are guaranteed opt outs for all bowl games excluding playoff games.

I would love to see these guys play but it is a business decision. I do wonder where this ends though. Do they start opting out of meaningless regular season games once eliminated from the playoff? Or after they are eliminated from the conference? You wonder why they did not opt out of that blizzard game against Sparty. Next do the underclassmen stars all start opting out. For example, in the future could a Parker Washington type player opt out? So a solid Sophomore or Freshman can opt out? Don't want to get hurt and impact your next season. These bowl games could end up dissolving into our scout team playing in the futur

Will be interesting to see what ticket sales are for the upcoming bigger bowls. Hard to host these games with a stadium that is 1/3 filled and with hotels running 50% occupancy.

Yea whatever......it's a decision by a young person on what path gives them the best chance to achieve generational wealth for their family. I think they would be very well served to not give a rats ass what any of us think.
None of which would have been possible for this individual player without his teammate’s support, coach’s belief in them, and the school’s financial support. But by all means, make sure the individual is paid. Definition of selfishness.

I honestly think most people could care less. These bowls only mean anything to the small segment of diehards who actually look forward to it. The Bowls are watered down crap. Something to stick on TV when you are lying around. If my kid were a top three round pick he'd be sitting.

Reactions: Ski and bytir
I get people sitting out but I think if you sit out then you should pay back the grant in aid and all other income you accrued from that season. Seems only fair. As this becomes more of a semipro league the contracts should work both ways. I don't like it but the die is already cast.
They will do that right after the schools give the players a share of the millions they made off of their backs. That scholarship and stipend is peanuts compared to the revenue that these players bring in.

Reactions: drpops
Easy to say when you have no money riding on the game. It easy to sit and judge when you have nothing to lose. I am sure you though process would be a lot different if you had to put actual money on the line.

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13
I really didn’t like Parsons sitting out because knew he would have made a difference.

However he clearly made the correct decision and is killing it. Plus the dude loves Penn State and is promoting PSU whenever he can. Props to him.
If I am correct, Parsons hired an agent after the BIG had cancelled their season. Once they decided to have a season, he couldn't come back. I do feel his situation was different. If it had been a normal season last year, I am pretty sure he was going to play. If I am correct, he looked into after the BIG changed their minds.

None of which would have been possible for this individual player without his teammate’s support, coach’s belief in them, and the school’s financial support. But by all means, make sure the individual is paid. Definition of selfishness.
The same can be said for coach Pry, right?

Last edited:
Reactions: BBrown and bison13
If I am correct, Parsons hired an agent after the BIG had cancelled their season. Once they decided to have a season, he couldn't come back. I do feel his situation was different. If it had been a normal season last year, I am pretty sure he was going to play. If I am correct, he looked into after the BIG changed their minds.
You are correct. PSU attempted to get relief from ncaa but that was a no go.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT