ADVERTISEMENT

Official PSU - Villanova 2021 Game Thread!

And if we can throw during those games, we can do okay. We haven’t run well all year and we’re 4-0. We’re obviously not a great running team, but with a great defense, we have a shot in any game. We’ll see more creativity starting next week and that may loosen things up. We’ll see, but every week is different and you do what you have to in order to win.
You need to be able to run to win the big games. We’ve seen that repeatedly over many years where PSU can not convert on 3rd and short and it kills them. What’s the definition of insanity? ;)

As the season moves on and the weather deteriorates the passing game will become less reliable. You need to be able to run the ball.

The struggle with pulling out the Wisky win is starting to look less impressive each week. Notre Dame is now beating Wisconsin 34- 13.

EDIT-
Now Notre Dame 41. Wisconsin 13.

You need to be able to run to win the big games. We’ve seen that repeatedly over many years where PSU can not convert on 3rd and short and it kills them. What’s the definition of insanity? ;)

As the season moves on and the weather deteriorates the passing game will become less reliable. You need to be able to run the ball.

The struggle with pulling out the Wisky win is starting to look less impressive each week. Notre Dame is now beating Wisconsin 34- 13.
Whoever thought this team would go 12-0 raise your hand. We will lose some games, but we could still have a really good season. I look for an increased workload from Lovett and the running game will get better, but it won’t be great. At the beginning of the year everyone thought Clifford was the weak spot, but now we’ve moved on to the next weak spot. We’ve got what we’ve got, so we hope for the best.

Reactions: TheGLOV
PSU needed to work on and show improvement in areas of weakness to prepare for later. (O line blocking and the run game was the most glaring). PSU was not able to run against a D1-AA team.

34 carries for 80 yards.

The tough games are still to come- at Iowa, at Ohio St, Michigan, at Michigan St.
Yep...and there's no "fix" for the run game...just don't have the hosses up front. Efner for Wilson didn't seem to help much...guess Traut isn't a magician after all. It's easy to see at least two losses running the gauntlet...Iowa, OSU, UM and MSU. Depending on what MY can pull out of the hat, three in't all that improbable.

Reactions: psu00
There’s no holding on. This new QB is playing better than their starter. ND just scored again (TD pass). Wisky appears to now be out of it. 24-13 with 9 min to go.

Don’t think Wisky has the firepower to catch up, even if they had another 4 quarters. Wisky coaches not helping. Down by 11. Run up the middle for 1 yard.

Right, 41-13 is a little better than "holding on." The Badgers imploded. I'd say they have some big-time issues at the QB position. The league's West Division is pathetic -- Minnesota was beaten by Bowling Green today -- while the East is a bloodbath.

Re our game, nothing surprising about a bit of a letdown coming off the whiteout. Hard to get super motivated about playing Villanova.

I don't think we'll drop in the rankings, but Marshall put his finger on it: Wisconsin's performance may hurt more than a less than overwhelming win against Villanova. Longer term, it doesn't matter. The important games are yet to come. But it's hard to see any East team ending the season without at least one loss.

Right, 41-13 is a little better than "holding on." The Badgers imploded. I'd say they have some big-time issues at the QB position. The league's West Division is pathetic -- Minnesota was beaten by Bowling Green today -- while the East is a bloodbath.

Re our game, nothing surprising about a bit of a letdown coming off the whiteout. Hard to get super motivated about playing Villanova.

I don't think we'll drop in the rankings, but Marshall put his finger on it: Wisconsin's performance may hurt more than a less than overwhelming win against Villanova. Longer term, it doesn't matter. The important games are yet to come. But it's hard to see any East team ending the season without at least one loss.
The big ten west seems real bad so far (minus Iowa).

Totally agree about the letdown aspect of today’s game. I do think that was to be expected to some degree.

That said, there’s no excuse for not being able to run against D1-AA team. Either the coaches aren’t recruiting and developing a competent O line or there’s a serious underperforming by those players that’s not being addressed and fixed.

Image Saban’s reaction if his O line played like that week after week. It wouldn’t be pretty. ;) No one expects them to be at Bama’s level but the lack of improvement week after week, year after year raises concern.

Totally agree about the letdown aspect of today’s game. I do think that was to be expected to some degree.

That said, there’s no excuse for not being able to run against D1-AA team. Either the coaches aren’t recruiting and developing a competent O line or there’s a serious underperforming by those players that’s not being addressed and fixed.

Image Saban’s reaction if his O line played like that week after week. It wouldn’t be pretty. ;) No one expects them to be at Bama’s level but the lack of improvement week after week, year after year raises concern.
I guess we could have asked Nick after the Mercer game…they didn’t exactly shatter records.

I guess we could have asked Nick after the Mercer game…they didn’t exactly shatter records.
Well, if you want to compare, Bama doubled Penn St’s output in that game.

Bama ran 34 times for 158 yards against Mercer.

PSU ran 34 times for 80 yards against Villanova.

The main point was this is a recurrent problem for PSU, (as opposed to Bama had an off game).

The main point was this is a recurrent problem for PSU, (as opposed to Bama had an off game).

Only PSU can go from good to shitstorm in four hours, without losing.

Iowa is currently losing to Colorado St.

But they didn’t pass for 400, so there’s that.

Is this possible? I hope it is…..
YEmLeRJ.jpg

Reactions: bison13
If you have a championship in mind, the days of not “running up the score” are over.
I don’t like it, but that’s the way the system works today. I would be surprised if we didn’t drop.

The offensive line is an issue almost every year and I’m sick of watching games that we should be handling opponents much more convincingly.
This was an opportunity to flex your muscles a bit and get it in gear.

Yes the passing attack was impressive, but we all know that this next stretch of games will require a competent running attack to be truly successful

Yes the passing attack was impressive, but we all know that this next stretch of games will require a competent running attack to be truly successful

The bubble screen is our most effective running play, pal. We run outside the hashes. K? K.

(I know, we need a better traditional running game. No dispute from me.)

Reactions: paddoce
If you have a championship in mind, the days of not “running up the score” are over.
I don’t like it, but that’s the way the system works today. I would be surprised if we didn’t drop.

The offensive line is an issue almost every year and I’m sick of watching games that we should be handling opponents much more convincingly.

Tell that to 2-1 #9 Clemson who's tied with NC State 14-14 with 6:00 in the 4th.

Reactions: Midnighter2

Rankings mean nothing if you win your conference and do so with one loss or fewer. This is an in-state FCS school with lots of fans in State College - they’re gonna get a chance to look respectable.

Tell that to 2-1 #9 Clemson who's tied with NC State 14-14 with 6:00 in the 4th.
Yes but NC State isn’t in 1AA and probably hasn’t had a 4star recruit in decades. Did anyone see what sPitt did to NH or Miami to CCSU? That’s what we should have witnessed in our game.

Reactions: zubrus1
Yes but NC State isn’t in 1AA and probably hasn’t had a 4star recruit in decades. Did anyone see what sPitt did to NH or Miami to CCSU? That’s what we should have witnessed in our game.

Guessing you didn't watch any other Pitt or Miami games did ya? Just today?

Not all FBS schools are the same.

ADVERTISEMENT