ADVERTISEMENT

Official PSU - Wisconsin 2021 Game Thread

That was only one of two in that game….both were worse than Ellis….the other for OSU was called on the field but overturned.

Again, the other huge thing here is that the Minny Player is a "protected player" under the rule (IOW, you're not allowed to hit him in "Head or Neck Area" with any part of your body, let alone leading with your helmet into his head as the duhO$U defender clearly does). The Wisconsin runner was not a "protected player" under the rule, so it is utterly irrelevant how hard Brooks hit him or how it looked relative to duhO$U hit. Under the rule, the PSU defender was entitled to hit him high (i.e., head-&-neck area) as long as it was a legal hit (which in the PSU case is any hit other than one "INITIATED" with the crown of the helmet.). Brooks clearly did not "Initiate the hit with the crown of his helmet" - he FACTUALLY initiated the hit with his shoulder. The duhO$U player struck a "protected player" in the "head & neck" area (in this case intentionally using his helmet to make helmet-to-helmet contact) - ILLEGAL by Rule Definition. So of course, the b1g cheaters ignored a CLEARLY BLATANT ILLEGAL hit by duhO$U to protect them and penalized a CLEARLY LEGAL HIT by PSU in a clear attempt to help Wisconsin (and hurt PSU), but some of the posing b1g douche shills don't see the clear bias in big cheating officiating that these two calls clearly demonstrate.

Again, the other huge thing here is that the Minny Player is a "protected player" under the rule (IOW, you're not allowed to hit him in "Head or Neck Area" with any part of your body, let alone leading with your helmet into his head as the duhO$U defender clearly does). The Wisconsin runner was not a "protected player" under the rule, so it is utterly irrelevant how hard Brooks hit him or how it looked relative to duhO$U hit. Under the rule, the PSU defender was entitled to hit him high (i.e., head-&-neck area) as long as it was a legal hit (which in the PSU case is any hit other than one "INITIATED" with the crown of the helmet.). Brooks clearly did not "Initiate the hit with the crown of his helmet" - he FACTUALLY initiated the hit with his shoulder. The duhO$U player struck a "protected player" in the "head & neck" area (in this case intentionally using his helmet to make helmet-to-helmet contact) - ILLEGAL by Rule Definition. So of course, the b1g cheaters ignored a CLEARLY BLATANT ILLEGAL hit by duhO$U to protect them and penalized a CLEARLY LEGAL HIT by PSU in a clear attempt to help Wisconsin (and hurt PSU), but some of the posing b1g douche shills don't see the clear bias in big cheating officiating that these two calls clearly demonstrate.
But if PSU had two players do what OSU did it would not have been targeting…..I can’t even keep a straight face typing that. PSU would have both of those players ejected.

Cheating b1g bullshit call. It wasn't a "close call" - the Wisonsin QB is not "protected" when he turns himself into a RB. Only "Targetting Penalty" that can possibly be called there is "Spearing" (intentionally using crown of helmet to strike opponent) - you cannot call "Spearring" when the intended, AND ACTUAL, first contact is NOT with the crown of the helmet. Brooks clearly intended to, AND DID, make first contact with Wisconsin runner with his shoulder... and contacted into Wisconsin runner's shoulder despite the Wisconsin player LOWERING HIS HEAD AND LEVEL! After the first contact, Brooks stands the Wisconsin player up (stops him dead - which had to do to prevent 1st down) - as he stands him up, and clearly after 1st contact, the players come face-to-face with their helmets contacting each other primarily Brooks facemask to the front right side of Wisconsin runner's helmet. Again, this is considered incidental contact if it results AFTER first contact. You cannot be called for 'Spearring" if your clear intent, AND ACTUAL, first contact is with your SHOULDER and not the crown of your helmet. You can't "intentionally" INITIATE CONTACT WITH THE CROWN OF YOUR HELMET if you FACTUALLY AND IN REALITY "initiated contact" with your shoulder!!!!
Spot on - NOTHING to disagree with AT ALL here!!

Right you are sir!

He was tackled 2 or 3 times in backfield on Wiscy's last drive, with the standard 95 offensive plays and no holds called on Wiscy. But somehow the jackwagon refs saw 17 with hands to the face of the guy that was tackling him all day...
The UW left tackle looked like a calf roper during the last 10 minutes. All he lacked was a short rope to tie the legs up

I thought it was a close call, even on replay. Helmets definitely hit but Brooks initiated contact with his shoulder.

I think the penalty was called because the hit was so violent. I can understand if the official got caught up with the impact and made the call, but the penalty was called on replay where emotion shouldn't be a factor.
Yet the hit was so violent that Mertz wasn't even knocked down. I'd suggest there has never been a targeting call where the alleged target remained standing.....

Reactions: Shadow99 and psuno1
Fantastic win. It sucks to have to open the season with an opponent like Wisconsin on the road, but if you come away with the W, it can pay big dividends. Think Indiana last year in reverse. As much as anything, the value in this case is psychological: hey, we can actually win games like this.

Our D is For Real. Three potential All-Americans. On the other side of the ball, the O was horrible in the 1st half, but it was great to see Noah make some big plays in the 2nd half. Showed flashes of his 2019 form before the injury. And guys like Jahan can make QBs having a bad day look good.

The targeting call was bogus. But I've always felt like we'll at least get a fair shot with Jerry McGinn. He made the correct grounding call at the end that pretty much sealed the game. And total penalty calls ended up 7-7.
Jerry et al did miss at least 6 blatant offensive holding calls on Wiscy. 95 plays. No holds.

Reactions: psu_et_vt
Come on, we’re supposed to score 50+ in every game regardless of who or where we’re playing. It took the team a game and half before they started functioning on offense when Moorehead started, but we saw improvement after only a half with this new OC.
I agree with all you wrote. They bounced back in the second half. Everyone will hope for better in the future. They now have good possibilities to look forward to.

Thanks, seems pretty clear to be the worst than what Ellis did!
That didn’t look like targeting to me, if I understand the rule correctly. And God knows I probably don’t understand the rule correctly (because if I did, there is no reasonable way they could have tossed Brooks from the game today). This play looked like contact was not made with the crown of the helmet.

Jerry et al did miss at least 6 blatant offensive holding calls on Wiscy. 95 plays. No holds.

I'll take the game Jerry and his crew called. It wasn't perfect, but neither was it blatantly biased. And at the end, he made the correct call...even though it killed the home team.

McGinn's roots are in the Big East. He's not a B1G guy and doesn't bring conference politics to the job. It shows. I'd be happy for him to call all our games.

I'll take the game Jerry and his crew called. It wasn't perfect, but neither was it blatantly biased. And at the end, he made the correct call...even though it killed the home team.

McGinn's roots are in the Big East. He's not a B1G guy and doesn't bring conference politics to the job. It shows. I'd be happy for him to call all our games.
Well he and his crew need to brush up on holding because the UW left tackle got away with murder in an attempt to keep UW in the game. Obvious calls.

I agree with you. I generally think he does a good job. Maybe not so much today, but he’s definitely better than the typical part time insurance salesmen (full time crooks) from Flint or Westerville that usually ref these games

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT