ADVERTISEMENT

Official PSU - Wisconsin 2021 Game Thread

Clifford was 18-33 for 247 yards
1 TD, 0 INT

He rushes thing when under pressure which is difficult to watch. That said, he definitely deserves a participation trophy.
Perhaps I was a bit rough on Clifford. The pass rush was in his face almost immediately most of the first half. Hard not to get happy feet with that. Still no hint of a screen pass to a RB over the middle. That pisses me off.

They did tighten it up a bit in the second half and provided decent protection. I'll credit MY with making half time adjustments that actually worked.

I do hope the offense gets it together. It showed signs and potential in the second half. It will take 2 great halves on offense and another great D performance to beat OSU.

Reactions: paddoce and bdgan
Pretty unusual box score. On one of the highlight/summary shows an "analyst" was chirping about looking at the stats it should have been a Wisky blowout.

But although the TOP was so disproportionate, 42:31 to 17:29, Wisky only outgained PSU by 368 to 297, and 3 turnovers more than cancel out a 71 yard advantage in yardage. And Wisky was pretty lucky to recover both of their fumbles.

Hard to believe Wisky ran the ball 58 times, to only 18 for PSU. But as bad as the PSU running game was, and even with a few longer runs by Wisky (when their RB got up and showboated like he won the Super Bowl), Wisky's average running play netted only 3.2 yards to PSU's 2.8. And PSU's passing game, in spite of the overthrows, was much better than Wisky's.

Just an interesting game, one that we all will remember for a long time. Much longer if it leads to a BIG season.....;)

Pretty unusual box score. On one of the highlight/summary shows an "analyst" was chirping about looking at the stats it should have been a Wisky blowout.

But although the TOP was so disproportionate, 42:31 to 17:29, Wisky only outgained PSU by 368 to 297, and 3 turnovers more than cancel out a 71 yard advantage in yardage. And Wisky was pretty lucky to recover both of their fumbles.

Hard to believe Wisky ran the ball 58 times, to only 18 for PSU. But as bad as the PSU running game was, and even with a few longer runs by Wisky (when their RB got up and showboated like he won the Super Bowl), Wisky's average running play netted only 3.2 yards to PSU's 2.8. And PSU's passing game, in spite of the overthrows, was much better than Wisky's.

Just an interesting game, one that we all will remember for a long time. Much longer if it leads to a BIG season.....;)
Agreed. We also blocked a FG which has the agent of a turnover. Fact is, we survived the first half and outplayed them the second half

Reactions: Shadow99
I think this is the first game in forever that nobody was screaming about Pry and his D. They certainly don't deserve any criticism for today's performance, I am just making an observation.
Very little to criticize. I did notice that the 11th defender was late getting in on Wisky's TD play.

Reactions: Shadow99
I think this is the first game in forever that nobody was screaming about Pry and his D. They certainly don't deserve any criticism for today's performance, I am just making an observation.
I would never second guess a football coach, but the soft coverage played by Penn State that allowed Wisky to get 30 or so yards on 2 plays with less than 10 seconds off the clock seemed strange to me. I'm sure the PSU defensive coaches were planning on letting them gain that yardage, for some reason that is above my understanding.
I do realize that Penn State won the game, which is the desired outcome.

Agreed. We also blocked a FG which has the agent of a turnover. Fact is, we survived the first half and outplayed them the second half

Very much agree with this. Whiskey failed to ever play from behind - this had a huge impact. Wisconsin was selling out to stop the run, but Yurcich never had to hit the panic button and was allowed to "bide his time", which he did masterfully. I was most impressed with how PSU schemed to "max protect" on the 1st TD (pass to JD). PSU sliced and diced Wisconsin's D on that first drive of the 2nd Half - they knew what to look for and executed perfectly.

I would never second guess a football coach, but the soft coverage played by Penn State that allowed Wisky to get 30 or so yards on 2 plays with less than 10 seconds off the clock seemed strange to me. I'm sure the PSU defensive coaches were planning on letting them gain that yardage, for some reason that is above my understanding.

Yea, but you fail to mention that Wiskey then only gained 8 yards over the next minute - forcing the desperation throws on games final 3 plays (final play was a 3rd-&-17 from the PSU 32). The whole point of that defense is to make them have to execute double-digit consecutive plays perfectly to get down the field because a kick does them no good - they had to score a TD. They didn't come remotely close to scoring a TD so how you're saying the defensive strategy didn't work is a bit baffling????

I think Wisconsin has a really good defense. Might have been great that we were on the road (77 at home, against 95 plays could have worn us down).

Wisconsin and Iowa likely determine the West.

Buckeyes defense has holes, but the offense could be bulletproof inside the conference.
Pop💭
He was tackled 2 or 3 times in backfield on Wiscy's last drive, with the standard 95 offensive plays and no holds called on Wiscy. But somehow the jackwagon refs saw 17 with hands to the face of the guy that was tackling him all day...
the officiating is comically biased

Reactions: odshowtime
Yea, but you fail to mention that Wiskey then only gained 8 yards over the next minute - forcing the desperation throws on games final 3 plays (final play was a 3rd-&-17 from the PSU 32). The whole point of that defense is to make them have to execute double-digit consecutive plays perfectly to get down the field because a kick does them no good - they had to score a TD. They didn't come remotely close to scoring a TD so how you're saying the defensive strategy didn't work is a bit baffling????
I actually did admit, at the end of my comment, that PSU won the game so yeah, the strategy worked.

Honest question - what possible reason could the PSU defensive coaches have for letting Wisky go from their 18 to the PSU 32 in less than 30 seconds? Don't see how letting your opponent get 50 yards closer to your end zone is a good thing, especially when they still had plenty of time when they were at the 32 yard line.

Anyway, PSU won and that's great.

Reactions: Grass
I actually did admit, at the end of my comment, that PSU won the game so yeah, the strategy worked.

Honest question - what possible reason could the PSU defensive coaches have for letting Wisky go from their 18 to the PSU 32 in less than 30 seconds? Don't see how letting your opponent get 50 yards closer to your end zone is a good thing, especially when they still had plenty of time when they were at the 32 yard line.

Well, I don’t think Pry had the 15-yard penalty in his plan.

Last edited:

In theory, you are hoping Mertz makes a poor throw or that your rushers get to him for a sack.

If not for the hands to the face penalty, we probably played in that look for at least one more down.

Once the field shortened, we forced two INTs.

I understand your complaint. I didn't like letting their guys have the 10-15 yard out at any point, but our strategy worked in the end

15 of the yards were from the "Hands To The Face" call - how exactly are the coaches supposed to anticipate that? Without that penalty Wisconsin is out near midfield. The point of the defense is to make them throw underneath and tackle player in-bounds. Wisconsin was able to get OB twice before PSU tackled them in-bounds (and again, would have been out near midfield but for the HTTF Penalty).

Reactions: WyomingLion
I forget who said it, but the old quote "prevent defense just prevents you from winning " comes to mind. It drives me nuts every time I see it. The way the D was playing today there is no reason to call the game any other way.

Reactions: okinburg1

And what would everyone say if they pressed up and got beat long for a TD? They would blame the coaches of course.

And what would everyone say if they pressed up and got beat long for a TD? They would blame the coaches of course.
I, for one, would not criticize the coaches in that instance. I've watched a lot of football in the last 40 years or so, high school to the NFL, and it is truly rare to see a college QB handle heavy pressure (regular rush or blitz package) and be successful getting the ball downfield. Some NFL QBs can do it (Brady, Wilson, Mahomes) but very, very few college QBs can.

I, for one, would not criticize the coaches in that instance. I've watched a lot of football in the last 40 years or so, high school to the NFL, and it is truly rare to see a college QB handle heavy pressure (regular rush or blitz package) and be successful getting the ball downfield. Some NFL QBs can do it (Brady, Wilson, Mahomes) but very, very few college QBs can.
I’ll buy that, but very few coaches do it.

I get just as frustrated during a game as any fan, but I try to remember that I wouldn’t have all the answers either because if I would, I’d be a D-1 coach.
See, that's where I think you're wrong. They no doubt think about all that football related $hit more than all of us who don't coach football for a living, but I don't think they have all the answers, IMHO.

See, that's where I think you're wrong. They no doubt think about all that football related $hit more than all of us who don't coach football for a living, but I don't think they have all the answers, IMHO.
No one has all the answers in real time, only after the fact. There are also coaches on the other side making decisions that work and don’t work as well. And the bulk of the success comes down to the players and if they don’t do their part, the best play calls in the world won’t work. Maybe a coach calls a play that the player is supposed to go left and he goes right, fans don’t know he was supposed to go left yet they blame the coach for the play call. It’s too easy just to blame the coach unless you know what the player has been taught and told and whether they’ve done everything they were supposed to do.

Reactions: WyomingLion
No one has all the answers in real time, only after the fact. There are also coaches on the other side making decisions that work and don’t work as well. And the bulk of the success comes down to the players and if they don’t do their part, the best play calls in the world won’t work. Maybe a coach calls a play that the player is supposed to go left and he goes right, fans don’t know he was supposed to go left yet they blame the coach for the play call. It’s too easy just to blame the coach unless you know what the player has been taught and told and whether they’ve done everything they were supposed to do.
Long and short of it mostly amounts to it being more about the Jimmys and the Joes rather than the Xs and the Os

Reactions: AWS1022
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT