ADVERTISEMENT

Official PSU - Villanova 2021 Game Thread!

Winning a game doesn't negate the argument that the run game has problems...come on. It's not that black and white. We won by hitting some deep balls and the D playing all world.
And we may have to win more that way. You play to your strengths.

For sure...the point being, I'm doubtful with the remaining schedule that being a one dimensional offense is sustainable. Time will tell

Reactions: Grass
Did BTN just show the score as 13-3? Did we just get penalized a point?
BTN Struggling today. The announced luketa as the starting MLB, read off the wrong roster and gave credit to a villanova DB on johnny Dixon’s pass defense and had the wrong score up for awhile

And Good Defenses with Good Defensive Coordinators will take HUGE advantage of that Approach.

We all just want some improvement with the RUN Game hence not to make us predictable. Blitz packages=more Sacks, Pass Coverages get disguised i.e. higher INT rates etc. Doesn't mean us Passing will be a given success

Reactions: scrivener
BTN Struggling today. The announced luketa as the starting MLB, read off the wrong roster and gave credit to a villanova DB on johnny Dixon’s pass defense and had the wrong score up for awhile

Infiltrated by the SEC Network folks probably.

And Good Defenses with Good Defensive Coordinators will take HUGE advantage of that Approach.

We all just want some improvement with the RUN Game hence not to make us predictable. Blitz packages=more Sacks, Pass Coverages get disguised i.e. higher INT rates etc. Doesn't mean us Passing will be a given
If they focus on the pass, it could open the run game. Everyone is making Clifford beat them at this point.

Granted the OL can’t run block, but it’s disappointing that all of these highly touted recruits at RB (and the transfer Lovett) are all so mediocre. It’s clear that PSU has no real difference makers at the RB position.

Reactions: scrivener
If they focus on the pass, it could open the run game. Everyone is making Clifford beat them at this point.
Good Point....lets see if that does help. I will be genuinely Open Minded but haven't seen it unfortunately--usually it is the opposite Run sets up the PASS.

Reactions: AWS1022
This offensive line blows. Is Matt limegrover back and we don’t know it? Thought Trautwein was a good hire.

Poor line play is going to have to make OC change our philosophy going forward

Let us know when penn state plays them. Your not a fan. You just like to bitch about every little thing. They have two wins over ranked teams and will be 4-0 after today.
I think he’s just comparing a #6 ranked PSU up against a top team. It’s not a matter of being negative on Penn St but seeing where PSU fits in with top teams.

Georgia may very well be the best team this year. They were up on Vanderbilt 28-0 half way through the first quarter today and led 35-0 after 1.

Penn State’s O line is a real problem in short yardage situations (and has been for years). You may think he’s being too negative, but he is correct with regard to the UGA comparison.

Winning a game doesn't negate the argument that the run game has problems...come on. It's not that black and white. We won by hitting some deep balls and the D playing all world.

and it's not as black and white as saying "the run game has problems". let's look at the schedule so far:

WI: #1 ranked rushing D
Ball State: #88 ranked rushing D (and penn state had over 200 yards rushing
AU: #3 ranked rushing D
Villanova: So far, the #3 ranked rushing D in FCS. Yes they're FCS, but they have a good rushing D.

You can't look at this schedule against VERY good rushing D's and take that the PSU rushing game has problems. no shit they are having problems.... but there's a reason. the silver lining is that MY adjusts. I'd be MUCH more upset if he kept trying to run the ball when he's got this much passing success right now. I think teams are trying to revert Clifford back to his 2020 self by putting the game in his hands. But Cliff is a different QB this year, so they're making defenses pay

Our interior line are RS-JR and RS-SRs too, so something obviously wrong when they can't get a push against Villanova.

On that last tackle for loss our tight end simply missed his blocking assignment. Hit him and then let him go.

I think he’s just comparing a #6 ranked PSU up against a top team. It’s not a matter of being negative on Penn St but seeing where PSU fits in with top teams.

Georgia may very well be the best team this year. They were up on Vanderbilt 28-0 half way through the first quarter today and led 35-0 after 1.

Penn State’s O line is a real problem in short yardage situations (and has been for years). You may think he’s being too negative, but he is correct with regard to the UGA comparison.
Excellent....100%.

Reactions: psu00 and ftlpsu
and it's not as black and white as saying "the run game has problems". let's look at the schedule so far:

WI: #1 ranked rushing D
Ball State: #88 ranked rushing D (and penn state had over 200 yards rushing
AU: #3 ranked rushing D
Villanova: So far, the #3 ranked rushing D in FCS. Yes they're FCS, but they have a good rushing D.

You can't look at this schedule against VERY good rushing D's and take that the PSU rushing game has problems. no shit they are having problems.... but there's a reason. the silver lining is that MY adjusts. I'd be MUCH more upset if he kept trying to run the ball when he's got this much passing success right now. I think teams are trying to revert Clifford back to his 2020 self by putting the game in his hands. But Cliff is a different QB this year, so they're making defenses pay
Great Post really is...Agree on everything.

Only issue is 2 yds 3 yds when we need it is all. Auburn I felt we did well, Wisconsin well considering....this is Villanova and yes as Millen said " A good Rush Defense team" my post earlier was explained well. A very good Top 10 Defense will give us trouble.

My main issue is lets be able to get 3YDS a carry is all.....start there.

Great Post really is...Agree on everything.

Only issue is 2 yds 3 yds when we need it is all. Auburn I felt we did well, Wisconsin well considering....this is Villanova and yes as Millen said " A good Rush Defense team" my post earlier was explained well. A very good Top 10 Defense will give us trouble.

My main issue is lets be able to get 3YDS a carry is all.....start there.
Your last sentence is the whole gist of what we all are critical about for yrs. It's not like we are asking for 175-200 yds rushing per game. But, FFS, we can never win a game with our short yardage running game...we struggle mightily vs nearly everyone on the interior. Schedule has little to do with it. It's a contagious problem with JFs teams

Maybe the easy long TD's have not helped Clifford's decision making as this game has gone along. He seems to be ignoring the safety valve, easy throws that are open and keeping his eyes down field too long. It's as if he is expecting 15 seconds of time in the pocket. Distorted mental clock.......

GET RID OF THE BALL....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT