ADVERTISEMENT

Olympic qualifier in Mongolia

GOLDBANGER

Gold Member
Oct 22, 2013
Does anyone know when the entrants are announced for this qualifier and where they will be posted?

If you go to the database at UnitedWorldWrestling.com and search "Molinaro" under the "athlete" field, it lists all of Frank's international tournament results. When the field for the Mongolia event is released (probably mid-week), that event will show up in his list. You'll be able to click on it and see the entries at 65kg.

Reactions: GOLDBANGER
Both should qualify they ony have to make top 3 I believe but in Turkey is top 2.

My understanding as well...one wrestler per non-qualified country. And just fyi, top-3 earn a slot for men's freestyle and Greco, while top-2 earn a slot in women's freestyle.

I read on another board that countries can register multiple entries but will have to decide on just one before the competition begins.

That is my understanding as well. You can enter/register as many as you want, but only can compete.

bump...

Frank only american listed. Other countries sent multiple guys.

more can wrestle only one can qualify I thought and the country needed to identify that wrestler ahead....am I wrong?
I'm almost positive that more than one can register, but only one can take the mat. That is what the rule says. On the phone, so please don't ask for a link. Typing a post is challenge enough lol.

When do the brackets come out?

Bump...any intel on when Frank is wrestling? Going up to Phoenix this weekend, wife's college graduation but I'd like to sneak some Frank matches in. If someone could, post the mat and livestream time so we can go back to watch it. Might also be able to play it straight from the bracket.

They are in the process of finishing the competition in greco over in Mongolia today. Only 3rd place match left. Anywhere from 17 to 28 guys per weight class, so they are wrestling pigtails. I expect Frank to have similar size fields when the freestyle competition starts over the weekend.

In other news, RaVaughn Perkins at 66kg greco is in a 3rd place match to go to Rio. Don't know anything about him, but let's wish him luck. Joe Rau lost at 98kg in rd of 16. Jesse Thielke lost in rd of 32 at 59kg.

Noticed that only one guy per country per weight. Follow along here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_World_Wrestling_Olympic_Qualification_Tournament_1#130_kg

Edit to add that Perkins lost his 3rd place bout at 66kg and now must go to Turkey in two weeks and finish top two to qualify for Rio.

Last edited:
Bump...any intel on when Frank is wrestling? Going up to Phoenix this weekend, wife's college graduation but I'd like to sneak some Frank matches in. If someone could, post the mat and livestream time so we can go back to watch it. Might also be able to play it straight from the bracket.
See here for complete info:

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestlin...s-to-compete-in-Olympic-Qualifier-in-Mongolia

Greco-Roman will be contested on Friday, April 22, women’s freestyle on Saturday, April 23 and men’s freestyle on Sunday, April 24.

On Sunday, competing for the USA in men’s freestyle are U.S. Olympic Team Trials champions Frank Molinaro (State College, Pa./Nittany Lion WC) at 65 kg/143 lbs. and J’Den Cox (Columbia, Mo./Missouri Wrestling Foundation) at 86 kg/189 lbs. Both were seeded ninth at the Olympic Trials, and both qualified for their first U.S. Senior-level team with outstanding performances. Molinaro was an NCAA champion for Penn State, while Cox, a junior at Missouri this year, is a two-time NCAA champion.

United World Wrestling is expected to have a live web stream of the competition from Ulaanbaatar, and also live results on their website, UnitedWorldWrestling.org. Please note that Ulaanbaatar is 13 hours ahead of U.S. Eastern time zone. TheMat.com and all of USA Wrestling’s social media platforms will also provide extensive coverage.

Sunday, April 24
Men’s Freestyle (57 kg, 65 kg, 74 kg, 86 kg, 97 kg, 125 kg)
U.S. contestants: Frank Molinaro (65 kg), J’Den Cox (86 kg)

9:00 a.m. - Qualification rounds and repechage
6:00 p.m. – Finals and Award Ceremonies

Reactions: Azchief32
Greco-Roman will be contested on Friday, April 22, women’s freestyle on Saturday, April 23 and men’s freestyle on Sunday, April 24.

To be clear, those dates are per Mongolia time, which for us translates to Women's Freestyle starting tonight around 8 pm EST, and Men's Freestyle Saturday night around 8 pm EST. Finals for Men's Freestyle would start 5 am EST Sunday morning.

EDIT: fixed, thx Pennstate1985

Last edited:
Reactions: Pennstate1985
To be clear, those dates are per Mongolia time, which for us translates to Women's Freestyle starting tonight around 8 pm EST, and Men's Freestyle Saturday night around 8 pm EST. Finals for Men's Freestyle would start 6 am EST Sunday morning.
Mongolia is 13 hours ahead of us, so the finals would actually start at 5am Sunday morning.

Frank weighed in. NLWC twitter has him wrestling vietnam first round.

The USA qualified two more women's weights in Mongolia. Both the 48kg and 53kg women made the finals. Only top two in that competition goes to Rio.

Confession....too lazy to go searching:oops:......who?
Maroulis and Augello qualified with first and second place finishes respectively. Mensah lost to champ in the semis 6-5. Had she drawn to the other side of the bracket she too would have likely qualified.

Tank has got his work cut out for him on his side of the bracket. Compliments of Katie on the USA forum:

Safaryan is a former world champ. (Finals)
Batirov is a former European champion and 3x Yarygin champion. (Semifinals)
Garcia has wins over top Americans.
Gor is a two-time world medalist. (Round 2)

live stream is working....they are wiping down mats and away we go

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT