ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Olympic Trials match and discussion thread

Looked to me like Cox was experiencing some “Issues” when the match ended. Ran off the mat and immediately bent over. He definitely did not look himself in that match. Was hoping some that were in the arena could shed some light on what happened. Then again, the ones that were there are currently downtown having a blast while we are staring at our screens! lol
I'm here at a press table, and watched his walk-off from the mat all the way to the press area (half a loop of the arena). His legs gave out mulitple times, and he caught himself with his hands/arms from falling down. I think the cut played a factor. Actually a lot of the stars seemed to deal w/ that this morning. AB, Nolf, Yianni....

Looked to me like Cox was experiencing some “Issues” when the match ended. Ran off the mat and immediately bent over. He definitely did not look himself in that match. Was hoping some that were in the arena could shed some light on what happened. Then again, the ones that were there are currently downtown having a blast while we are staring at our screens! lol
I thought Cox looked flaccid.

I just saw that Suriano defaulted out so no Jax vs Suriano. That sucks. Jax will now get the loser of Richards vs Spencer. Winner of that wrestles for 3rd

Also noticed that Lilledahl is now representing NLWC. Up until recently he was always listed as wrestling for X-calibur Athletics wrestling club

Whining about freestyle is like intentionally ordering a meal that you hate just so you can complain to the waitstaff about how terrible it is.
Yes, plus: it's the available style for our guys to prove they're the best in the world. We don't have to embrace it, but should at a bare minimum accept it.

Oh, and BTW: many of our guys have publicly said they prefer freestyle. Zain among them -- and if the most punishing top wrestler of my adult lifetime says he prefers a style that doesn't employ that skill, then I'm not gonna tell him he's wrong. I'm not telling Carter he's wrong either.

Yes. Sealey beat him at Ironman I believe. Lockett won U17 worlds last year. Super tough and going to be a junior in hs next year I believe. Committed to Okie State. From Oklahoma so everyone always knew that’s where he would end up. Very very good but I don’t think ANYONE saw him teching Shapiro
Without looking up the rankings, Lockett is probably #4 overall in 2025 behind Duke, Blaze, and Knox -- and he's probably closer to #3 than to #5.

But yeah, last year Shapiro won U20 worlds, and 2 years before won U17 worlds. So a HS JR teching him in freestyle is surprising, no matter how good that HS kid is.

Yes, plus: it's the available style for our guys to prove they're the best in the world. We don't have to embrace it, but should at a bare minimum accept it.

Oh, and BTW: many of our guys have publicly said they prefer freestyle. Zain among them -- and if the most punishing top wrestler of my adult lifetime says he prefers a style that doesn't employ that skill, then I'm not gonna tell him he's wrong. I'm not telling Carter he's wrong either.
Absolutely, but like I stated a few days ago, get healthy, and come back in 4 years, Carter. Unfortunately, that has proven to be true.

I’ve said this before I don’t think Yianni has really improved since his freshman year of college. His offensive output has really declined as well. I know it won’t happen but I think he really needs a change of coaches and club.

I’ve said this before I don’t think Yianni has really improved since his freshman year of college. His offensive output has really declined as well. I know it won’t happen but I think he really needs a change of coaches and club.
I agree. He plateaued, albeit at an incredibly high level.

Reactions: fronk71
Arguably peak Yanni in both Folk and Free was 3 years ago and he is still young. A change in scenery seems advisable.

Yeah, I don't think chest wraps as your go to offense is a plan.

• Haha
Reactions: diggerpup
Mendez with the 12-7 win over Yianni! Faces our boy Zain train next!

Yianni lost his best training partner.

I’m curious to see if Messenbrinks style hurts him against someone like JB

Hidlay completely controlling Chance with his underhook. Chance hasn’t had a single offensive attack

I’m curious to see if Messenbrinks style hurts him against someone like JB
Me too. I can see JB killing him on reattacks but MM has wrestled this style for awhile and no one has really done that to him. Granted, JB is on a different level than anyone else MM has wrestled. It’s going to be fascinating to watch. I also wonder if Mesenbrink can put the pace on JB. Never really seen him gas at all but no one wrestles like Mesenbrink

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT