ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Olympic Trials match and discussion thread

Everything in wrestling is so complimentary of everyone because it’s such an incestuous sport.

But we’d never freak out over fans booing LeBron James or Tom Brady. I wouldn’t personally boo Burroughs just because I don’t care. But I don’t see why this is so controversial.

I think the boos on Burroughs were brought on by what started as obvious stalling versus Messenbrink, and then compounded by his head pushing antics in that match.

He quickly became an easy villian in a PSU dominated crowd, past accomplishments be damned.

Being surrounded by cry baby manning also probably compounded the situation.

Everything in wrestling is so complimentary of everyone because it’s such an incestuous sport.

But we’d never freak out over fans booing LeBron James or Tom Brady. I wouldn’t personally boo Burroughs just because I don’t care. But I don’t see why this is so controversial.
It's not controversial. Just one idiot on X with an axe to grind with Penn State.

Reactions: Ski
Off topic but Bubba Jenkins just lost in the first round of the PFL tournament to Kai Kamaka. Jenkins was a pretty decent favorite going in as well

• Wow
Reactions: hlstone
Was it fans, or a fan? Did the martyred wrestler just act like a jackass in his previous match against a hometown favorite and did he have a coach that took a cheap shot at the hometown team because he thought one of his wrestlers was denied a 33 seed at the NCAAs? Burroughs planted the seed. Act with class and you don't have to worry about one weed in the crowd. Screw him, his coach and @smalls103 too.

I think the boos on Burroughs were brought on by what started as obvious stalling versus Messenbrink, and then compounded by his head pushing antics in that match.

He quickly became an easy villian in a PSU dominated crowd, past accomplishments be damned.

Being surrounded by cry baby manning also probably compounded the situation.
Prefaced by his remarks about Carter, and to the extent anyone cares about social media, his online feuds with Carter and Bo.

I know how Iowa fans act I sat in carver every meet. There’s a lot of embarrassing behavior out of Iowa fans, does that mean I can’t point out embarrassing behavior from different fan bases?
Fine. Don't translate one fan into an entire crowd.

Reactions: WaffleShopper
Yeah, we probably had some fans **** up, act like idiots and say shitty things. Not cool.

Willie and CP better call it consistently when certain other fans from other teams pull the same sh*t.
It’s not about the fans. It’s about every single person from Nebraska cutting him out if he doesn’t say something.

Again, just surprised we didn’t make this Jordan Burroughs Day in State College.

Reactions: smalls103
Was it fans, or a fan? Did the martyred wrestler just act like a jackass in his previous match against a hometown favorite and did he have a coach that took a cheap shot at the hometown team because he thought one of his wrestlers was denied a 33 seed at the NCAAs? Burroughs planted the seed. Act with class and you don't have to worry about one weed in the crowd. Screw him, his coach and @smalls103 too.
I am guessing any PSU fans yelling were a response to JB and his coaching talking first!

Reactions: danoftw

Actually the stars in other sports have hecklers removed from the arena at times. You are correct that it’s a much more common thing in other sports but I’m not sure why you guys are defending this. It’s uncalled for. Obviously all PSU fans shouldn’t be lumped together with the idiot who did this so I understand some of the pushback from that angle. Still, saying well compared to Iowa or Downey we are great is basically condoning what happened. It’s ok to say some PSU fans are idiots as well and athletes shouldn’t have to deal with this shit as they walk off the mat from a tough loss that likely just ended a legend’s career.

And here we go. God forbid anybody does anything but bow down to the king of USA wrestling and his coach. Everybody knows these guys are nothing but complementary to their opponents and have never said or done anything controversial.
He's a straight asshole and always has been. His whole yearly appearance at the finals behind the mic was nothing else but a star turn and clout chase. He is one of the all time greatest wrestlers and I don't boo him personally, but I don't like the guy and we all reserve the right to like who we want and dislike who we want

Actually the stars in other sports have hecklers removed from the arena at times. You are correct that it’s a much more common thing in other sports but I’m not sure why you guys are defending this. It’s uncalled for. Obviously all PSU fans shouldn’t be lumped together with the idiot who did this so I understand some of the pushback from that angle. Still, saying well compared to Iowa or Downey we are great is basically condoning what happened. It’s ok to say some PSU fans are idiots as well and athletes shouldn’t have to deal with this shit as they walk off the mat from a tough loss that likely just ended a legend’s career.
I just don’t think it’s a particularly big deal. It’s part and parcel of being a superstar athlete. Whether or should be or not can be up for debate. But this wouldn’t even be talked about in a big time sport unless they used a slur or something.

Does anyone know why there is so much time between matches? There seems to be an excessively long break between bouts tonight, and they're not even cleaning the mats between matches.

I just don’t think it’s a particularly big deal. It’s part and parcel of being a superstar athlete. Whether or should be or not can be up for debate. But this wouldn’t even be talked about in a big time sport unless they used a slur or something.
Agreed.

Reactions: ccdiver
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT