ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Olympic Trials match and discussion thread

Anybody actually see him grab the singlet?
I watched the replay a couple of times. Caught it on slow motion. It was an unintentional pull of the singlet by the side of his pinky finger as his hand was coming down to block Brooks’ attack. The singlet barely moved and it didn’t affect the action at all.

I’m glad that Brooks won, but I don’t think that call should’ve been made. But technically the singlet was pulled and Zahid would have likely lost the challenge because of it. Not the best way to win or lose a match. But a win is a win.

This was a little too far by Willie.

That guy was an idiot and it was uncalled for, but this response isn't fair either.
no the fan behavior towards JB was embarrassing this weekend.

there are a lot of amazing PSU fans and many post here. but like any large national fan base, it’s also full of loud morons.

I know how Iowa fans act I sat in carver every meet. There’s a lot of embarrassing behavior out of Iowa fans, does that mean I can’t point out embarrassing behavior from different fan bases?
No, it’d just make you a hypocrite. You know, while we’re using a generalized tweet to generalize entire fan bases.

Reactions: Ski
I watched the replay a couple of times. Caught it on slow motion. It was an unintentional pull of the singlet by the side of his pinky finger as his hand was coming down to block Brooks’ attack. The singlet barely moved and it didn’t affect the action at all.

I’m glad that Brooks won, but I don’t think that call should’ve been made. But technically the singlet was pulled and Zahid would have likely lost the challenge because of it. Not the best way to win or lose a match. But a win is a win.

no the fan behavior towards JB was embarrassing this weekend.

there are a lot of amazing PSU fans and many post here. but like any large national fan base, it’s also full of loud morons.
His comments are about all of us? I have 20 friends there and 20 friends watching at home. All Penn State fans and even more wrestling fans. I received 7 text messages saying what a career and can we call him the best ever yet?

Jordan had some disrespectful moments today, but that doesn't mean he deserved those comments at the end.

Reactions: Fatmarc
Since I'm the one who made the Iowa and Downey comparisons, let me be clear:

I agree with Verk:

I have never booed or heckled athletes. Booing Burroughs during the matches is one thing -- he took multiple lungers and got chippy against a home athlete -- but afterward makes the match about him and not about Jason. I celebrate our guys.

Unfortunately that's unrealistic. It has never happened that way anywhere on earth in any high-stakes, high-intensity event.

So if a few guys yelled at him -- didn't throw batteries or coins at him, didn't slur him, didn't threaten him or his family -- then I'm not getting worked up over a professional athlete getting yelled at. Burroughs will somehow survive. Doesn't make it right, just what it is.

And the public response to those fans was way over the top and mockable.
JB and Manning are insufferable jackasses who have not hesitated to throw shade at PSU any time they can. If "career is over" is all that was said, that's pretty mild.

Notice the crowd reaction when Cox took his shoes off. Nice send off for a class act guy.

The whole career is over certainly stems from Carter’s call out after JBs unprofessional comment at NCAAs. Then JB didn’t let it die as he posted again when Carter changed weight classes that it will be hard to end his career when they aren’t in the same class. So honestly it isn’t a crazy uncalled for comment by a fan. Would I have said it, probably not, but you asked for it and you got it. You knew where the trials were. Don’t instigate something and claim to be the victim when it gets thrown back at you.

One fan, in all of BJC, yelled that Burroughs career was over? The outrage is like he spit on him, threw things at him or used a racial slur. Shame on the guy for yelling something the announcers actually talked about during the broadcast. Fake outrage by people trying to get clicks

I never really watched much FS before. But that was great high level wrestling. Still not sure on some scoring though.

I really wish NBC would put up mat assignments like ESPN does for NCAAs. The announcers were decent. The color guy was bland, but at least knew the sport. I believe they said he was on an Olympic team.

Reactions: diggerpup
One fan, in all of BJC, yelled that Burroughs career was over? The outrage is like he spit on him, threw things at him or used a racial slur. Shame on the guy for yelling something the announcers actually talked about during the broadcast. Fake outrage by people trying to get clicks
giphy.gif

Can’t attach the photo but I’ve seen a shot from the side with the singlet being pulled 5-6 inches down and the ref is staring right at it

I think that one can appreciate all that Burroughs has done for the sport, but one can also not like the guy. Why do I have to respect or like someone just because of their accomplishments. I don't believe in that. Am I going to shout at him, no, but I don't have to suck up to him either.

If you are a jackass, expect the same type of behavior back from some people. Stop clutching your pearls.

Can’t attach the photo but I’ve seen a shot from the side with the singlet being pulled 5-6 inches down and the ref is staring right at it
Yeah, I just saw a different clip and an accompanying photo where it showed it was worse than what I could see on the broadcast. It still didn’t look intentional to me or affect the action, but it was definitely worse than first appeared.

No. And honestly I muted his wrestling Twitter due to off topic political bleed over. Better to have the politics filtered out by posters here. Saves clicks too.
Same, unfortunately. I hate having to because I do appreciate the wrestling stuff, but it always bled over. I try to keep wrestling stuff separate from all the political shit.

Booing is one thing. Yelling insults at one of the greatest USA wrestlers ever is completely classless and should be called out.
They were yelling because he was a prick to MM at the end of their match. Did you watch that match?

Not excusing their behavior but pull that on the opponents home field/court/mat and it's almost guaranteed.

Last edited:
This was a little too far by Willie.

That guy was an idiot and it was uncalled for, but this response isn't fair either.
Willie is an ignorant jackass who thinks he knows everything. Let's just look at how stupid this tweet is:
1. How does he even know it was a PSU fan? It could just as easily have been a Marsteller fan or any wrestling fan who didn't appreciate the bs he pulled against Mesenbrink.
2. Even if it was a PSU fan does it mean that everything one fan does speaks for the entire fanbase? Does that mean that every person who looks like Uncle Fester is a douchebag know-it-all?
3. Every elite athlete gets booed by rival fans and when he purposefully called out PSU legends he had to expect he'd get some stick from the fans. It's sports, he talked smack and fans shoved it in his face. He was a poor sport when it came to Marsteller, he was an extremely poor sport against Mesenbrink and then Nolf gave him his medicine.
4. The fan wasn't wrong, his career is over. His last memories in the sport of wrestling will be refusing to shake hands with a kid who probably idolized him, belittling the achievement of a wrestler who survived some horrible circumstances to beat him to achieve his goal of making a world team and then getting his ass whipped by a guy who is a legend at a school he constantly disrespects.

Great "champions" who I don't idolize because I don't agree with how they conducted their careers:
Pete Rose
Bonds
Lance Armstrong
Roger Clemens
Dykstra
Tom Brady
Belichek
Keith Hernandez
Antonio Margarito
Spencer Lee
Kim Mulkey
Suriano

He's no better than any of them. Wrestling is supposed to have some honor and you should respect your opponents. He loafed around for waaaay to long to slow down MM's pace, refused to engage and the ref let him do it. MM has flatly said that he'd rather lose than win a match the way Burroughs wrestles.

Same, unfortunately. I hate having to because I do appreciate the wrestling stuff, but it always bled over. I try to keep wrestling stuff separate from all the political shit.
I can't take a guy seriously who, on camera, has to spit his dip into a Pepsi bottle every 10 seconds. Add to that his almost maniacal urge to defend Manning every time someone looks at him wrong, good riddance. I never saw the attraction.
I made my mind up about Burroughs a few years ago. During the police brutality/defund the police stuff, his solution was to put the guns away and learn double leg takedowns. With all that said, the SINGLE fan yelling shit at him was uncalled for. Despite all of Burrough's beef with Penn State recently. And despite D-bag Manning, after the Messenbrink match, appearing to cackle at fans like the "put him in a body bag" teenage cobra kai from Karate Kid. It would've been preferrable that ONE fan just keep quiet.

Reactions: Ski and Fatmarc
They were yelling because he was a prick to MM at the end of their match. Did you watch that match?
Of course I saw the match and commented on JB's behavior. That said.....the fans behavior after the Nolf Victory towards JB was mean. unnecessary and Insulting. Not what you should expect towards one of the greatest USA wrestlers in history. That guy or guys should be called out and be embarrassed. They do not represent most PSU wrestling fans. I celebrated Nolf's victory as a passing of a torch. Certainly not an opportunity to disparage JB and all his wrestling for USA accomplishments.

Reactions: Fatmarc
Wow - unbelievable day. Biggest problem is that there were way too many matches going on at the same time. I missed Shapiro's first match on matt4 because the other 3 mats had PSU associated guys wrestling.

Here are my thoughts:
- Levi learned a hell of a lot. Would have liked to see him wrestling Jordan more than Facundo due to a different type of match up.

- Bummed on the damn passivity stall point and if you get the second one then you're losing.. thought Kerk had to get a little desperate as a result. Free vs folk - Gwiz didn't shoot once... Any way I wanted a PSU rep at every weight going into the finals.. bummer... but he will be primed and in his prime 4 years from now.
- Beau - I thought he should have not only have gotten the fall but another 2 with the half... it is ironic that a leg lace can get you unlimited points but that action didn't warrant another 2.
- Luke - looks big, sure hope he can make 25 next year
- MM learned a lot as well. Valuable experience. Jordan got the crowd against him by his stalling antics... MM wrestles to the whistle and not the OB lines... Yeah, he had a little physicality bordering post whistle but if you are the goat - you stay above it or take it out via performance.
Nolf – surprised by JBs match from a conditioning perspective after looking pretty spent after his first two matches. The ironic thing is that Nolf wrestled that match seemingly identical to past JB matches

Cenzo – not sure why he forfeited out. Was surprised to see him lose.

Nick and Zane – great to see them ‘back’. Can’t wait until tomorrow

Star – needs time to resize. Downey – sad joke. Needs some type of help.

Mirasola – even though he lost to Dean this time, we have a good hand off from AB!

Nico – just can’t finish on Spencer.

The young kids are the real deal – everyone who made the tournament. Trials in 4 years, for that matter, every world team trials is simply going sustain this high level of wrestling!

Thoughts:

Wonder how many matches would have been different if international ref’s were working. Maybe it is just me, just seems passivity, grounding, and pins (i.e. Beau’s) would have been called a little differently…

JB - The crowds sentiments carried over to the Nolf match. Manning, even if a good guy, simply is a whiner. Regardless, these aren’t amateurs any more and you should be prepared to be heckled. I do agree extra jeering isn’t needed, especially when your guy won. But… being the goat doesn’t mean everyone lays down in front of you.

General warning… I was in my seat and someone came and sat down beside me (my seat but wife didn’t come). He had a ticket just purchased from stubhub – all sessions – for ~$100. No harm since wife wasn’t there but had to wonder ‘how’ and ‘what-if’. Could have been ugly. Turned out he bought a scam ticket off of stubhub - ~30 mins earlier. Even though it got him in the door (scanned). He did get a message while we were sitting there from Stubhub indicating the ticket seller wasn’t verified.

Women’s wrestling is getting better. Also wish PSU fans applauded Jen half as much as the PSU men.

BJC is getting old. In good shape but you can tell it’s old.

Can’t wait until tomorrow

Of course I saw the match and commented on JB's behavior. That said.....the fans behavior after the Nolf Victory towards JB was mean. unnecessary and Insulting. Not what you should expect towards one of the greatest USA wrestlers in history. That guy or guys should be called out and be embarrassed. They do not represent most PSU wrestling fans. I celebrated Nolf's victory as a passing of a torch. Certainly not an opportunity to disparage JB and all his wrestling for USA accomplishments.
Yes, the guy was out of line, but it was carry over from the previous match with MM and the CStar/Bo stuff. Frankly, I thought JB acted like a punk toward MM and certainly not the esteemed royal that you and many others are trying to make him out to be.

I didn't like the singlet pull rule unless it is used in the act of a scoring move. A 'benign' unintentional pull is just that.

Then again I hate criteria. The victor should always be determined based upon actively according more points than the opponent. So you have a lot of OT matches, so what!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT