ADVERTISEMENT

Powerade seeds released

In the end, it's a downgrade from Marinelli and Spencer Lee - significantly so, even with Marinelli's disappointing NCAA finishes.
This is kind of silly.

First, anyone will be a downgrade from Lee, though Ayala looks about as good a replacement as one could hope for.

Second, It's WAY too early to state that Kennedy will be a significant downgrade from Marinelli. Objectively, there isn't much to support that statement, as early returns on Kennedy appear very good. And if Kennedy is a downgrade, I doubt it will be real significant.

Reactions: WildTurk
This is kind of silly.

First, anyone will be a downgrade from Lee, though Ayala looks about as good a replacement as one could hope for.

Second, It's WAY too early to state that Kennedy will be a significant downgrade from Marinelli. Objectively, there isn't much to support that statement, as early returns on Kennedy appear very good. And if Kennedy is a downgrade, I doubt it will be real significant.
No matter how good Ayala is, there can be little argument that he will be a huge drop off from one of the GOATs. What about drop offs from replacements for Eierman, Kemerer and even that whack job, ADS?

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
I think he put it off too long.
He’s not any better this year than he was when he was battling with Meatball 2/3 years ago, yet this years 165 field is by far better. I WOULD bet against it.
Yes. I think you are right, I don’t see him winning the whole thing. If I had to bet, I’d say he loses in consi finals just like his teammate Kem. Lol.

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
Yes. I think you are right, I don’t see him winning the whole thing. If I had to bet, I’d say he loses in consi finals just like his teammate Kem. Lol.
I think you’re dead on. Too many land mines in the 165 weight. Honestly quite a few at 174 too. When the dust settles I’d almost guarantee there will be a couple huge surprises at both weights. 125 for that matter too …

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Again - I was responding to a comment that Iowa didn’t have high level recruits in waiting. Clearly they do.
To be fair I said “Iowa didn’t have a TON of high end recruits.” Kennedy and Ayala are very, very good recruits. But that’s 2 out of 3 years of recruiting classes. That’s not gonna cut it. Only landing 2 top recruits just reinforces my point that Iowa, not PSU or OkSt are the real losers in the 2022 team recruiting race. Adding in Iowa’s recent success, there’s no reason they shouldn’t have challenged OSU for the top guys this year.

To be fair I said “Iowa didn’t have a TON of high end recruits.” Kennedy and Ayala are very, very good recruits. But that’s 2 out of 3 years of recruiting classes. That’s not gonna cut it. Only landing 2 top recruits just reinforces my point that Iowa, not PSU or OkSt are the real losers in the 2022 team recruiting race. Adding in Iowa’s recent success, there’s no reason they shouldn’t have challenged OSU for the top guys this year.

I remember HR appoplectic bemoaning being a 'decade' behind PSU, only to land Spencer and then 3 huge transfers to augment some great recruits to fill out the team they have today.

NIL and the Portal are quick solutions to what seem to be long term problems or big roster gaps.

I think we can trust that Iowa, tOSU and OSU, not to mention a handful of others will be gunning for us every year. I seriously doubt we have a string of 30 point cushion championship years.

I think we can also trust that Cael is simply better than all of the rest at both coaching and recruiting. I just wouldn't write off any of the big programs for more than a single reload year at a time.

Reactions: danoftw
IIRC that's Willie's adult movie alter ego, Easton Fleshman.
no it’s ben kueter. he’s a top 10 p4p recruit but will also play football so who knows how much they get out of him. freak athlete. 4 sport star.

the overall point isn’t wrong. they need a couple more high end recruits. right now they have some really good 20-40 type guys that could be mid-aa’s with some upside. of that group i like henson and riggins as the guys who could make jumps to title contenders. they need ayala, jesuroga, and kennedy to pan out. not in bad shape, but again they need another guy or two.

my only concern is that the success of sebolt led them to over rely on iowa kids. they were more active recruiting out of state for this last title team because iowa wrestling was so down. i hope they don’t totally revert to thinking they can develop the instate kids instead of hauling in elite national recruits.

Reactions: dicemen99
Your right about one thing Iowa are the real losers lol

no it’s ben kueter. he’s a top 10 p4p recruit but will also play football so who knows how much they get out of him. freak athlete. 4 sport star.

the overall point isn’t wrong. they need a couple more high end recruits. right now they have some really good 20-40 type guys that could be mid-aa’s with some upside. of that group i like henson and riggins as the guys who could make jumps to title contenders. they need ayala, jesuroga, and kennedy to pan out. not in bad shape, but again they need another guy or two.

my only concern is that the success of sebolt led them to over rely on iowa kids. they were more active recruiting out of state for this last title team because iowa wrestling was so down. i hope they don’t totally revert to thinking they can develop the instate kids instead of hauling in elite national recruits.
I don’t want to be that guy but I think Kueter will need to choose once he gets to Iowa and sees the grind of both sports.

Yeah I know, but Easton Fleshman is so much more fun to say.

After Cass graduates we should call Iowa's HWT Easton Fleshman regardless of which guy it actually is.

Riggins is going to be very good at the next level imo. Iowa has a solid group of young guys/incoming recruits. I think they drop back to about 4th next year but back in top three the following year.

you can head over and see for yourself lol. HR still living rent free in your head friend.
You’re an Iowa fan visiting PSU boards daily. How do you make a post like that and not feel like an idiot? Or maybe you do…

Really though, I don’t go over there much anymore. I mean let’s be real here, aside from a few that post over there, most are just imbeciles. “Most knowledgeable fanbase”? Let me tell ya, that site is seriously challenging that self given moniker. So much so, I instantly have to laugh anytime I hear it..

Happy New Year my friend. I wish you and your family well!

You’re an Iowa fan visiting PSU boards daily. How do you make a post like that and not feel like an idiot? Or maybe you do…

Really though, I don’t go over there much anymore. I mean let’s be real here, aside from a few that post over there, most are just imbeciles. “Most knowledgeable fanbase”? Let me tell ya, that site is seriously challenging that self given moniker. So much so, I instantly have to laugh anytime I hear it..

They won't let me over there they are scared lol.

i have never at any point posted on HR complaining about you guys and your homer opinions because

1) I don’t care
2) They don’t care

i’m here because there are a lot of good posters on here with good wrestling knowledge and i enjoy discussing wrestling. there aren’t that many places to do it.

i was just teasing you anyway. i thought we were on good terms!

I don’t want to be that guy but I think Kueter will need to choose once he gets to Iowa and sees the grind of both sports.
If he is good at football, like starter good than I doubt wrestling will get much of his attention and for good reason. If the NFL is a possibility at all then wrestling in college isn’t a very smart idea. Way too easy to get injured and the football coaches want and expect their top guys to be involved with football in some way year round. This is only if he is a top player. If he is just a body than wrestling could be a viable option

i think he might end up being a 174. some iowa guys indicate he’s still growing.
Sounds just like Haines. Riggins is very good. I hope him and Haines continue to match up all through college….with Haines continuing to win them all of course!

Reactions: js8793
If he is good at football, like starter good than I doubt wrestling will get much of his attention and for good reason. If the NFL is a possibility at all then wrestling in college isn’t a very smart idea. Way too easy to get injured and the football coaches want and expect their top guys to be involved with football in some way year round. This is only if he is a top player. If he is just a body than wrestling could be a viable option
Well he has an Iowa football offer, Kirk usually picks and chooses those kids carefully. He also is rated as an 86 and holds offers from Missouri, Iowa State and Minnesota. He's 6'2'' 220 and a fantastic athlete. So absolutely a Power 5 level player. At Iowa? To me, that's a kid with NFL potential absolutely, Kirk molds those kids into stud LBs all the time. I imagine Kirk will be supportive if the kid wants to wrestle but after a while, I think the kid will realize if he wants to maximize his potential in either sport, it's a year long commitment to one or the other. That's just me though.

most are just imbeciles. “Most knowledgeable fanbase”? Let me tell ya, that site is seriously challenging that self given moniker.
I don’t post on HR, but I’ve been reading for over 5 years. So many people make that most knowledgeable fan base claim. I’ve yet to see any evidence to back up that claim. A bunch of imbecile's is a more accurate description.
FYI, I continue to read HR, purely for the entertainment value, of the numerous lunatic takes that are non-stop over there and they’ve yet to disappoint.

Last edited:
Good lord just watched Feldman destroy Mullen. Wrestling has been getting HW athletes like they haven’t in the past. Guys like Gable,Parris and Kerk and even Cass used to play other sports. Feldman and Mullen are both really athletic bigs.
Ive heard Feldman say 97kg is his goal in international comp but I think he should keep bulking and just stay at HW. He’s so damn quick. Mullen looked pretty skinny for an offensive lineman to me. He was actually a lot quicker than a thought when he did take a shot. Both guys have a ton of upside. Surprised Carroll kept it close with Feldman.
Could Feldman take fifth at NCAA’s this year if he was eligible?

Iola is quite the place lol. I grew up near Ricketts Glen State Park and just recently moved back here. Hotel Iola must have been before my time.
We have some land in the mountains that just about touches part of Ricketts, we love it!
I used to drive through Millville commuting daily to Sunbury, I always thought it was a pretty town.

found this Haunted Hotel Iola

and This

We have some land in the mountains that just about touches part of Ricketts, we love it!
I used to drive through Millville commuting daily to Sunbury, I always thought it was a pretty town.

found this Haunted Hotel Iola

and This
Sounds like a pretty long commute esp. in bad weather.

Way back in a previous life (mid-1970's), I worked in Sunbury and commuted from Lewisburg. Not a bad area, but wasn't much social life for a single guy at the time.

Iola is quite the place lol. I grew up near Ricketts Glen State Park and just recently moved back here. Hotel Iola must have been before my time.
It was was "famous" in the area. Just another trout and hunting watering hole. But it's haunted.

It was was "famous" in the area. Just another trout and hunting watering hole. But it's haunted.
I think its now called Grumpy's Creekside Cabin. I think thats probably the only thing in Iola that is still there that would fit the bill.

Reactions: Hotshoe
Sounds like a pretty long commute esp. in bad weather.

Way back in a previous life (mid-1970's), I worked in Sunbury and commuted from Lewisburg. Not a bad area, but wasn't much social life for a single guy at the time.
75 miles one way, round trip for 8 years! I generally lucked out on the weather, only a few dicey trips. I could go 81 to 80 to Danville but I hated the boring highway drive, so i found creative ones. Past Ricketts to Benton, through Millville and a few other small towns and came out just above Danville. Plus, for some reason, the cstore in Benton always had the cheapest gas!

75 miles one way, round trip for 8 years! I generally lucked out on the weather, only a few dicey trips. I could go 81 to 80 to Danville but I hated the boring highway drive, so i found creative ones. Past Ricketts to Benton, through Millville and a few other small towns and came out just above Danville. Plus, for some reason, the cstore in Benton always had the cheapest gas!
Benton, Southern Columbia, Shik, etc. -- at least you went through some good wrestling country!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT