ADVERTISEMENT

PSU - Buffalo Dual Thread

A new word has been added to the Wrestling Lexicon:

Todrank: (i) To taunt a superior opponent in order to commit a gleeful suicide and/or to be eviscerated shortly thereafter in his just retaliation (ii) Fifteen seconds of sudden fame followed woefully by 15 years of expected shame.

Todrank is the worst wrestler in the country.
He lost to Nolf.
And people are jumping up and down wetting their pants?
They are indeed, having just witnessed as eloquent and successful a demonstration of how to set yourself up to be made an example -- as you will ever see in sports.

Last edited:
Reactions: danoftw
Todrank is now my favorite non PSU wrestler. The guy was clearly having fun and has balls the size of grapefruits. He appeared to be telling Nolf afterwards it was just fun, no disrespect. Hilarious.

Just got back from the match and, yes, it appeared to have been done in the spirit of fun and both guys seemed to take it that way. It was a really nice thing to be present for.

I dislike taunting when it's someone punching down, but if you're David about to get crushed by Goliath, and Goliath slips and you wind up with two, the 'taunting' by Todrank is just good self-effacing humor. And it made Nolf's last match in Rec Hall as memorable than DT's 11 second pin.

For the record, David beat Goliath.

For the record, David beat Goliath.
Well, of course we know that now. However, I think tikk's point was, if, during the match, David had given the raspberries to Goliath and given a little Ali shuffle, that wouldn't have been so bad. However, if David had given a little face mush after smashing a couple of rocks upside his head, that would have been bad form.

Of course, that also begs the question of how the guy that was protecting David would feel about the raspberries.

Well, of course we know that now. However, I think tikk's point was, if, during the match, David had given the raspberries to Goliath and given a little Ali shuffle, that wouldn't have been so bad. However, if David had given a little face mush after smashing a couple of rocks upside his head, that would have been bad form.

Of course, that also begs the question of how the guy that was protecting David would feel about the raspberries.
The whole thing works though. David beat Goliath by actually trying to. Todrank really did take the fight to Nolf despite the odds. That’s a lot more than many, many others have done in Nolf’s bug collected windshield of a career.

Lighting could strike. It doesn’t when you turtle up.

Would much rather see us wrestle someone like an Oklahoma State, Cornell or Missouri instead of Buffalo, especially absent their two best wrestlers. Given that the non-conference schedule next year likely includes away matches against Lehigh and Arizona State, I hope we can schedule a high octane non-conference team for either the BJC or Rec Hall next year. Don't really enjoy Kent State, Binghamton or Buffalo at all.

At least Binghamton and Kent State don't forfeit a 141 class and send out their 184/197 lb to HWT so two ranked guys could sit down and....do what, IDK.

The whole rest of the team had no problem wrestling on Friday night in Illinois and getting to State College ready to go, and others in Lock Haven. No reason to ever schedule them again.

Would much rather see us wrestle someone like an Oklahoma State, Cornell or Missouri instead of Buffalo, especially absent their two best wrestlers.

Always remember, it takes two to tango. PSU has room for @ 6 non-conference duals. Lehigh is going to be 1 of them, so the actual number is @ 5. By and large, non-conference matches will take place at the beginning of the season, at the end of the season, or possibly in the week or so before Christmas.

PSU and Cornell have discussed a dual, or a dual series, for years. When you compare league requirements, Cornell has far more liberty than does PSU. That they have not been able to reach an agreement should give you a hint as to where the hangup has been.

PSU has faced Okla. St. in recent years, both in the defunct National Duals, and in a dual series agreement. Okla. St. has 8 conference duals a year, while PSU has 9 conference duals. So Okla. St. has a tad more flexibility than PSU, but not a lot. Okla. St. is like PSU, in that they are an alpha dog, so all kinds of programs are looking to wrestle them, so they also have their pick of options. PSU has worked out an agreement in the past with Okla. St., and probably will do the same in the future.

I can't speak about what has taken place in discussions between PSU and Mizzou, as I've never checked into that.

As for non-conference home opponents for next season, only times will tell.

Reactions: tbay165
Always remember, it takes two to tango. PSU has room for @ 6 non-conference duals. Lehigh is going to be 1 of them, so the actual number is @ 5. By and large, non-conference matches will take place at the beginning of the season, at the end of the season, or possibly in the week or so before Christmas.

PSU and Cornell have discussed a dual, or a dual series, for years. When you compare league requirements, Cornell has far more liberty than does PSU. That they have not been able to reach an agreement should give you a hint as to where the hangup has been.

PSU has faced Okla. St. in recent years, both in the defunct National Duals, and in a dual series agreement. Okla. St. has 8 conference duals a year, while PSU has 9 conference duals. So Okla. St. has a tad more flexibility than PSU, but not a lot. Okla. St. is like PSU, in that they are an alpha dog, so all kinds of programs are looking to wrestle them, so they also have their pick of options. PSU has worked out an agreement in the past with Okla. St., and probably will do the same in the future.

I can't speak about what has taken place in discussions between PSU and Mizzou, as I've never checked into that.

As for non-conference home opponents for next season, only times will tell.

There is also the obvious effort to get to places like UVU, and Boston (in the past), and Bucknell....letting some schools get a real lift for their program to have us "stop in" This narrows the options.

I know they look for those that might just do a home without an away to help fill our schedule. VT or ISU isn't going to do that.

As to the hint for Cornell, there are two sides.....and I'm pretty sure we owe a visit to Cornell from before Cael. I would know. I've been waiting for it. Then there was the first ever Hockey Wrestling doubleheader in Madison Square Garden we declined. Clearly the two guys don't see eye to eye so unless something changes, wrestling them seems a non-starter. For that matter, they probably aren't the only two coaches that don't see eye to eye. Perhaps Stutzman can join that list, or replace Koll, because Koll sure as sh&T wouldn't have pulled Gunning or Lantry.

There is also the obvious effort to get to places like UVU, and Boston (in the past), and Bucknell....letting some schools get a real lift for their program to have us "stop in" This narrows the options.

I know they look for those that might just do a home without an away to help fill our schedule. VT or ISU isn't going to do that.

As to the hint for Cornell, there are two sides.....and I'm pretty sure we owe a visit to Cornell from before Cael. I would know. I've been waiting for it. Then there was the first ever Hockey Wrestling doubleheader in Madison Square Garden we declined. Clearly the two guys don't see eye to eye so unless something changes, wrestling them seems a non-starter. For that matter, they probably aren't the only two coaches that don't see eye to eye. Perhaps Stutzman can join that list, or replace Koll, because Koll sure as sh&T wouldn't have pulled Gunning or Lantry.
Lantry and Gunning are both injured pretty bad.If it was up to them they wouldve both been out there.

Lantry and Gunning are both injured pretty bad.If it was up to them they wouldve both been out there.
So I've read from Buffalo Wrestling..regarding Friday night's action. Cael doesn't discuss injuries but he doesn't blatantly ignore them either. When did it happen? Getting off the bus in State College?

"Bryan Lantry increased the Buffalo advantage to 13-0 with an 8-2 decision over Drew West. It was Lantry's 47th win of his career moving him into fifth in school history in career dual wins.

After dropping a decision at 149, Alex Smythe righted the ship with a 3-2 decision over Mason Kauffman at 157 to put the Bulls ahead in the dual, 16-3.

The Huskies made a run over the next three weight classes, winning two by major decision, to cut the UB lead to 16-14 with two bouts remaining. However, Brett Perryslammed the door on a NIU comeback with a 14-5 major decision over Max Ihry to extend the UB lead to 20-14.

Jake Gunning capped the victory with a 7-2 decision over Caleb Gossett in the heavyweight match. It was Gunning's 50th career dual win, making him just the fourth wrestler in program history to reach the 50-win plateau.

"We wrestled and performed really well today," head coach John Stutzman said. "It's been a good year and these guys showed up today. We're 12-4 going into Penn State and I'm really happy with these guys."

The Bulls improved to 12-4 overall and 5-2 in MAC duals on the year. The 12 wins tie the school record for dual wins in a season as a Division I program, matching the mark set in 2004. The five MAC wins are the most since joining the conference in 1998.

Buffalo will wrestle its final dual of the season at Penn State on Sunday."

Quote from Barstool Sports talking about Nolf and the Buffalo match...

Would you rather have a picture of your post-ice bath dick go viral on the internet or wrestle Jason Nolf in a college wrestling match?

Jason Nolf embarrasses more college wrestlers than the Herpes Simplex Virus, postseason alcohol consumption, and girls taller than 5’5″ combined. So it was only fitting that in his last career dual match, the undefeated phenom nonchalantly humiliated his opponent and added some extra pizzazz (clapping his hands once) to his typical post-match routine. Also, shoutout to the Buffalo backup for getting a reversal and not getting overly triggered by the Twitter heat.

So I've read from Buffalo Wrestling..regarding Friday night's action. Cael doesn't discuss injuries but he doesn't blatantly ignore them either. When did it happen? Getting off the bus in State College?

"Bryan Lantry increased the Buffalo advantage to 13-0 with an 8-2 decision over Drew West. It was Lantry's 47th win of his career moving him into fifth in school history in career dual wins.

After dropping a decision at 149, Alex Smythe righted the ship with a 3-2 decision over Mason Kauffman at 157 to put the Bulls ahead in the dual, 16-3.

The Huskies made a run over the next three weight classes, winning two by major decision, to cut the UB lead to 16-14 with two bouts remaining. However, Brett Perryslammed the door on a NIU comeback with a 14-5 major decision over Max Ihry to extend the UB lead to 20-14.

Jake Gunning capped the victory with a 7-2 decision over Caleb Gossett in the heavyweight match. It was Gunning's 50th career dual win, making him just the fourth wrestler in program history to reach the 50-win plateau.

"We wrestled and performed really well today," head coach John Stutzman said. "It's been a good year and these guys showed up today. We're 12-4 going into Penn State and I'm really happy with these guys."

The Bulls improved to 12-4 overall and 5-2 in MAC duals on the year. The 12 wins tie the school record for dual wins in a season as a Division I program, matching the mark set in 2004. The five MAC wins are the most since joining the conference in 1998.

Buffalo will wrestle its final dual of the season at Penn State on Sunday."
No injuries happened awhile ago been wrestling with them.Athletes arent the coaches they don't always determine when they wrestle.You can choose to believe me or not

No injuries happened awhile ago been wrestling with them.Athletes arent the coaches they don't always determine when they wrestle.You can choose to believe me or not
Lantry's injury is well known. Happened back in December if I remember. And he's been consistently going every weekend with Jake and the rest of the team since mid of January. Jake went pretty much all season except wherever Buff went for the holiday. Friday night was important. We weren't We don't need to wrestle v Buffalo again.

Lantry's injury is well known. Happened back in December if I remember. And he's been consistently going every weekend with Jake and the rest of the team since mid of January. Jake went pretty much all season except wherever Buff went for the holiday. Friday night was important. We weren't We don't need to wrestle v Buffalo again.
Lantry was hurt early Nov the 2nd weekend missed 7 weeks.Theyve been going and wrestling thru major issues and are tough as nails just didn't want people thinking the kids had anything to do with it.

Lantry was hurt early Nov the 2nd weekend missed 7 weeks.Theyve been going and wrestling thru major issues and are tough as nails just didn't want people thinking the kids had anything to do with it.
I don’t think it has anything to do with the kids. Buffalo didn’t wrestle their guys last year either, favoring to forfeit 125. Meanwhile there is apparently a more attractive place to wrestle in Lock Haven yesterday than Rec Hall and some starters went there. So....I’m just mad that I was foolish enough to be fooled again by a coach who has BS priorities. I saw the results Friday and said wooohooo. They are wrestling full on Sunday.

I even got word Sunday at noon it looked like they all are good to go.

And then they didn’t.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT