ADVERTISEMENT

PSU - Rutgers Match Thread

Over 15 minutes of wrestling this weekend and he didn't come within a mile of initiating a serious takedown attempt. Great defense but zero offense.
I don’t think u understand that when two good wrestlers meet it’s usually low scoring.. hard to score on each other ... suriano vs fix anyone?
At least u give Alvarez credit for good defense which I’m surprise lol

Rookies get better throughout their first season. You should know that by how Assad is wrestling now compared to the way he was when he took losses to nobody's early in the year. You should also know that from seeing Alvirez losing to Pepple early then beating him next time around.
Try telling this to matter.. stuff like this doesn’t compute lol

Joseph looks good crisp td's but Donner has a 13-10 record. He could tech this guy with TDs but wants too ride

Just realized Tyler Graff is an ast coach fot Rutgers.

I am a die hard casual

Ok, for someone who is there:

What was said by a jokester in the crowd that triggered a chuckle during Cenzo's match? ;)

Not quite audible on TV.

Back in for a little bit of PBP

165: Joseph vs. Donner

Per 1
3 TDs by Joseph, and 2 escapes by Donner, 6-2. Blood time for Donner

Per 2
Joseph takes bottom. He's to his feet, and out in 7 sec, 7-2. Joseph started a high scratch, blocked. Then a head outside single, gets behind for the TD, 9-2. Donner is not doing a thing on bottom. And there's a stall warning. Stall call, makes it 10-2. Nearly a tilt at the buzzer. 3:06 in RT for Joseph

Per 3
Donner takes bottom. Joseph gets behind and gets the TD, 12-2. OOB with 1:26 left. Optional start, and Donner with the esc, 12-3. Joseph with a reach, then a double but they go OOB with 1:08 left. Joseph looked to set up a throw, but abandoned it. Then went for a double and got the TD, 15-3. He tilts him with a cradle, and gets the pin att 6:14!!!!!!

CJF is in the house

17-6, PSU

No. I'm saying young Austin had a big whole in his game exposed. Whether you like it or not.
You still didn’t answer my original question. Since you are the expert on rankings, does RBY deserve his ranking after beating the #9 guy 4-2 in SV-2?

Rutgers literally stalled for 2:30 seconds. Didn’t attempt a single return to mat nor a move to turn or better his position. And not once did he get even warned let alone given a stall.

Have to agree with David Taylor - Ref totally mismanaged match. At the very least you have to stalemate the Merkel counter to Pipher standing after 10 seconds at most. After doing the same thing over and over (Merkel and upper-body spiral ride), the Official needs to warn him that he has to offensively try to improve his position on top - he can't repeatedly defensively do the same thing over and over to simply collect riding time with no intent of doing anything else without being called for stalling. The Official allowed him to collect way, way, way too much riding time while doing absolutely nothing on top and merely acting defensively and passively to Bo's tripodding.

174: Hall vs. Joe Grello

Hall TFed him 2 years ago in the PSU - Rutgers dual

Per 1
Hall with a bit of a throw-bye and gets the TD, 2-0. OOB with 1:39 left. Grello to his feet, and they go OOB with 1:28 left. Grello starts up, tripped back down. OOB with 33.9 sec left. Grello to his feet and out, 2-1. Mark with a low single to a TD, 4-1. End. RT @ 2:06 for Hall

Per 2
Grello defers. Hall takes bottom. He's too his feet, take back down, but spins and gets the reverse as he's going back down, 6-1. Stalemate or OOB with 28.9 sec. Grello to his feet, taken back down, and then OOB with 18.2 sec. Grello to his feet off the restart, tripped down, then OOB with 3.6 sec. Stall warning on Hall as he pushed Grello OOB. End. RT @ 3:06 for Hall, so it's locked

Per 3
Grello takes bottom. He's up quickly, (2 sec) 6-2. Hall with a low single, and Grello scrambles out. 1 min left.Hall in on a single, then a stoppage as Grello's right knee seemed to buckle. Didn't look good. Injury default @ 6:37

23-6, PSU

Rivera didnt wrestle last weekend. Injury or not, RBY merits #3 until Rivera beats him which I would not bet on.
Agree. What’s with the Rivera over RBY sentiment? Did he do something special? Gross piss pounded him and he flaked out last year at a lower weight. Tucker and Philippi scare me as much as Rivera

You still didn’t answer my original question. Since you are the expert on rankings, does RBY deserve his ranking after beating the #9 guy 4-2 in SV-2?

Yes. I'd say this kid is only #9 because he's a freshman. He's probably closer to 5-7 and he wrestled a defensive match. I'd say he's MUCH better than Ridge Lovett and RBY was more impressive today than DeSanto was vs worse competition.

Last edited:
Agree. What’s with the Rivera over RBY sentiment? Did he do something special? Gross piss pounded him and he flaked out last year at a lower weight. Tucker and Philippi scare me as much as Rivera

Did you watch the Gross-Rivera match at Midlands? Gross most certainly did not piss-pound him, or give him any kind of pounding. If not for a sly lat drop near the end, he was on his way to losing that match decisively.

184: Brooks vs. Janzer

Per 1
missed the first 30 sec. Nothing much thru 1:30. Brooks nearly with an ankle pick. Panzer with a single attempt, nothing. 30 sec left. Brooks on a throw-bye counter at the end of the period for the TD, 2-0

Per 2
Brooks takes bottom. Brooks up and out in 8 sec, 3-0. Brooks with a shot, blocked. Panzer doing a nice job. Brooks is active,but Janzer is staving him off. Brooks in on a low single, Janzer with a whizzer, Brooks locks a cradle for the TD and gets the pin @ 4:35!!!

29-6, PSU

DWHT51380_1.jpg

I’m not sure that Rutgers has made a 100% commited attempt of a take down since the 125lb match

That would be a negative. Therefore, zero takedowns in seven matches be since Aguilar.

Edit - zero takedowns for the last 9 Rutgers wrestlers. 3 for Aguilar is it for the match. Total of 6 offensive points for the team with one reversal, one riding time point and 13 escapes. Total of 22 points scored for Rutgers with Aguilar the only when to score anything other than escapes. Pretty good drubbing.

Last edited:
Did you watch the Gross-Rivera match at Midlands? Gross most certainly did not piss-pound him, or give him any kind of pounding. If not for a sly lat drop near the end, he was on his way to losing that match decisively.

Yeah, Midlands to me showed Rivera better than Gross. 3 TDs to none for Rivera I believe and a Hail
Mary Lat drop from bottom to save Gross. I know which I think is the more replicable performance. Rivera, if healthy, is gonna be a problem.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT