ADVERTISEMENT

Saturday games of interest

Looks like a throw back SEC slugfest. Defensive struggle with some big plays sprinkled in. Twenty four (24) penalties between the two teams.
It looks like to programs that were supposed to be elite but simply aren't--is the defense good or are the offenses bad (maybe both?)
I do think there's a huge gap between Penn State/Oregon/Ohio State/Texas/Georgia and everyone else. HUGE

It looks like to programs that were supposed to be elite but simply aren't--is the defense good or are the offenses bad (maybe both?)
I do think there's a huge gap between Penn State/Oregon/Ohio State/Texas/Georgia and everyone else. HUGE

The luster wore off Bama significantly last year. Saban did a great job coaching them up after the Texas loss / USF near debacle, but it's obvious that they weren't the same juggernaut that they had been.

Can Tennessee close this out?

I would say a combo of the two. Although I do think the TN defense is cettainly better - more disruptive. Alabamas secondary is depleted.

Reactions: LandoComando
The luster wore off Bama significantly last year. Saban did a great job coaching them up after the Texas loss / USF near debacle, but it's obvious that they weren't the same juggernaut that they had been.

Can Tennessee close this out?
I'm just dumbfounded by that decision by DeBoer--zero confidence in the D? Too much confidence in their bad O? Just illogical--almost an emotional decision people make when playing video games lol

3rd win over a ranked opponent. Time to move them WAY up in the rankings. Who else has three ranked dubs?

And let’s be honest; they were with us in a hostile road environment the whole game. They’re for real.
On that note, compare Illinois to LSU which also has one loss. Why is one ranked in the top ten? LSU’s loss is to a worse team

Reactions: mcpat
I’m feeling like CJF and Kraft are managing NIL the right way. Do we need more NIL support? Yes. Are some teams with more NIL playing like dubs don’t matter b/c they get paid regardless? Also yes.

On that note, compare Illinois to LSU which also has one loss. Why is one ranked in the top ten? LSU’s loss is to a worse team
SOS isn't real close
LSU at 22
Illinois at 50
I'd really like to see those two teams play though

Wow reverse trap game, Maryland just beat USC. That is one demoralized USC team and maybe physically worn out. Big Ten is a bit harder level of competition than PAC. Will be a really ugly week for Lincoln Riley. Their kicker who had the big miss at PSU had a big block that would have iced the game.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Wow reverse trap game, Maryland just went up 1 on USC with 53 secs left. That is one demoralized USC team and maybe physically worn out. Big Ten is a bit harder level of competition than PAC. Will be a really ugly week for Lincoln Riley if they don't pull this one out.
Or USC just isn't very good...
Riley is definitely in trouble

Wow Maryland just went up 1 on USC with 53 secs left. That is one demoralized USC team and maybe physically worn out. Big Ten is a bit harder level of competition than PAC. Will be a really ugly week for Lincoln Riley if they don't pull this one out.
4 and 1 at UMD 24, up 6 with 2m and USC FG get blocked. Sorry, LR should have went for it and end game.

• Wow
I'm thrilled for Illinois. 6-1, and we are the 1. Their 3 ranked wins are why I don't like crediting teams as much for the win as I do after the season. Come 2pm tomorrow, NONE of their wins will be ranked.

I don't think it diminishes their record. They are playing great. It's just a matter of public perception and how things are falling. Michigan losing to Washington likely means that with this loss, they need 3 wins in a row to be ranked again. Similar with Nebraska, who now plays the Buckeyes licking their calf after 56-7.

As for LSU, their loss is worse, but it was week 1, they began the year ranked and have a stronger win (2 loss Ole Miss, for now). 3 National Titles in the last 20 years carries some weight as well.

They have a tough road ahead. At A&M, bye, then Bama at home. Illinois has Oregon next week in Eugene then smoother sailing.

USC goes down. They just don't know how to win at this point. I never cheer for USC and when I do they do this. Thanks for nuttin USC in helping our sos.

Reactions: bdgan
Definitely a good thing the Illini won because that's a very, very bad loss for us by USC. USC is now 1-4 in the Big Ten with their only win coming over Wisconsin who without Van Dyke.

USC goes down. They just don't know how to win at this point. I never cheer for USC and when I do they do this. Thanks for nuttin USC in helping our sos.

The travel for the former PAC teams is brutal. The B1G needs to add some more western teams.
UCLA traveled and beat Rutgers
Oregon traveled and beat Purdue on a short week
NC State traveled and beat Cal
It's not the travel--USC has bigger issues that were there last year.

Garrett Greene with another interception--we'll see if Neal Brown finally goes to Marchiol--he finally was under pressure to do so this week--way overdue.

Last edited:
A few ways to look at it. It damaged the SOS, on one hand, but on the other hand this crappy USC team blew out Wisconsin.

Illinois winning helps offset this however. Bottom line, handle business next week in Madison and it's not relevant.

Reactions: RickinDayton
Riley built his career off a Bob Stoops built Oklahoma playing 1 game a year vs Texas on a neutral field. I truly thought "he's running from the SEC" when he bailed with his QB and key offensive players to USC. After seeing him struggle at USC and now sit 1-4 in Big 10 play, it's obvious that he is a great OC who is probably an average HC.

A few ways to look at it. It damaged the SOS, on one hand, but on the other hand this crappy USC team blew out Wisconsin.

Illinois winning helps offset this however. Bottom line, handle business next week in Madison and it's not relevant.
Agreed--I still think it's odd anyone was even remotely concerned about Wisconsin though
They don't do anything well--upsets happen obviously but we're a comfortably favorite there.

Reactions: lazydave841
These cross country trips are brutal. Penn State beat USC. Barely. Pitt beat Cal. Barely.

Anyone else?

I know there’s a lot of $$$ in it, but can we please consider what’s best for the student-athletes now?

Reactions: RickinDayton
These cross country trips are brutal. Penn State beat USC. Barely. Pitt beat Cal. Barely.

Anyone else?

I know there ms a lot of $$$ in it, but can we please consider what’s best for the student-athletes now?
Just today
NC State beat Cal
UCLA beat Rutgers

Plus Oregon beat Purdue on Friday

Too much is made of the travel--USC just can't close games--just like they couldn't last year without the travel

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT