ADVERTISEMENT

Souther Scuffle Day 2 Official Thread

Agreed. Guys need to have a short memory and the mentality that losing isn't the end of the world. Look at what Nick Lee did at NCAAs.

True but it doesn't seem a lot of guys are wired like Nick Lee. Reports earlier this year was he is always in a good mood and smiling. Obviously very chill. For Verk, when you have lost more this year than you likely have in your life and then realize immediately that your season probably is over (as far as being the top guy at 149) I can empathize with how he reacted. He likely felt tremendous pressure that he created for himself. As Roar says, the coaches will help him think through this and he will be better going forward. The mental game, which differentiates the top 1%, takes longer for some.

If anyone is listening go to mat #1. I am not sure who the play by play is, however, they sound like a "very knowledgeable 12 year old". Fun to listen to and full of all the terms :)

Reactions: 1AA
Agreed. Guys need to have a short memory and the mentality that losing isn't the end of the world. Look at what Nick Lee did at NCAAs.

True but it doesn't seem a lot of guys are wired like Nick Lee. Reports earlier this year was he is always in a good mood and smiling. Obviously very chill. For Verk, when you have lost more this year than you likely have in your life and then realize immediately that your season probably is over (as far as being the top guy at 149) I can empathize with how he reacted. He likely felt tremendous pressure that he created for himself. As Roar says, the coaches will help him think through this and he will be better going forward. The mental game, which differentiates the top 1%, takes longer for some.
Glad to see someone else who understands the real differentiator for our team's success these last 9 years. Yes, the training partners, the regimen, the raw talent, etc are all ingredients, but the mentality is the mojo that grabs the chin, and turns the script.

Last edited:

Great point. Think you nailed it. Verk laying there realizing that the starting spot likely is slipping away. And I suspect our coaches enjoy coaching these kids up. Contrary to popular belief, they all aren't 4 time AAs right out of the box.

One thing I find interesting is that the Coaches try to recruit that mindset. Many kids come into the program, as 17/18/19 year old's, already wired that way. Then the Coaches keep preaching the mindset; have fun, keep improving, don't be afraid to make a mistake, and so on.

Oversimplified, of course, as each recruit is different, and leading people isn't this easy.

Zovistoski in deep on a double and gets the TD with 5 sec left. Verk just gave up the pin at 6:59. Appears that once Verk realized he couldn't win, he just lay on his back, and the pin was called.
Shades of Tomasello vs. Gilman in the national semis.

My hope is that he doesn't get too down on himself and that the coaches get through to him. I think Verk has tremendous potential. He's the not the first wrestler to get down on himself after a loss, though. There were plenty of rumors going around that Jimmy was the same way. I don't know if that's true but these kids have already accomplished something great if they are wearing the PSU singlet. I really like the confident version of Verk.

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
My hope is that he doesn't get too down on himself and that the coaches get through to him. I think Verk has tremendous potential. He's the not the first wrestler to get down on himself after a loss, though. There were plenty of rumors going around that Jimmy was the same way. I don't know if that's true but these kids have already accomplished something great if they are wearing the PSU singlet. I really like the confident version of Verk.
Great family, great team-mates. Doubt be stays down too long, though the disappointment will linger. The coaches part of this is the effort part.

Verk has to adapt to recover better, because I’m not sure he’s looking like a favorite to to win a quarter at NCAAs yet. In other words, if he were the 149 guy next year, it could make a significant dent in team points.

Verk has to adapt to recover better, because I’m not sure he’s looking like a favorite to to win a quarter at NCAAs yet. In other words, if he were the 149 guy next year, it could make a significant dent in team points.
Wait, does that impact our having 8 scoring wrestlers?!?!?!?!?!?

Is Byers audio screwed up for everyone else? launches back to start of today?

Not sure as I am probably in the minority on this but the flo commentor on Mat 2, I think Fretwell, is a bit annoying and what sucks is most of our guys will be on Mat 2. Is Beyer's stream synched with Flo's video as I know the video is on a small delay.

Reactions: LemonPie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT