ADVERTISEMENT

Steelers thread

I do agree that the Steelers management deserves a lot of the blame this year. After Bell rejected their offer they should have cut or traded him.
By keeping him on the team they had to reserve $15 million in cap space for a player that never took the field.
And if they had signed a semi-competent backup QB, they beat Oakland and they wouldn’t be in this mess.

Hell I don't even think they needed a competent backup QB just a competent team. That was their version of our MSU game. UGhhh.

Or like any other NFL board or college board after a loss. I don't know why people think its only a certain fan group that does it.:rolleyes:
Normal fan (and normal Steeler fan) meltdown = ice cream cone on warm day

PennstateNate meltdown = Chernobyl

Reactions: BBrown
Cool man. How about AB's social media posts over the past few years? Is that why the Steelers haven't made a run?

LOL, I don't follow any of that crap. My life is stressful enough I don't need to add to it. Besides if people think its "creepy" following 18 year old kids I think following adults is even worse.

Reactions: Lmfl123
and I guess I'll just bring up that there were NBA officials that were caught cheating. So it can happen. Who know's if it was will "ill intentions or not" but it has happened.

There have been some rare cases where players/coaches have shaved points, too.
And if/when it happens, they will most likely get caught.
When you read these boards, you’d think every person who has ever officiated a game is a cheater. I get so tired of that BS.

LOL, I don't follow any of that crap. My life is stressful enough I don't need to add to it. Besides if people think its "creepy" following 18 year old kids I think following adults is even worse.
I'm with you but Nate seems to think Juju's social media presence caused him to fumble that ball. He caught 4 balls on the first drive and went over the middle all game and took brutal hits. But, of course, it was his Instagram posts that made him fumble.

I'm with you but Nate seems to think Juju's social media presence caused him to fumble that ball. He caught 4 balls on the first drive and went over the middle all game and took brutal hits. But, of course, it was his Instagram posts that made him fumble.

+1 just like there were a bunch of PSU fans that had their panties in a knot because Miles Sanders and Lamont Wade actually had an opinion of some things going on in their hometowns. :rolleyes:

Reactions: PearlSUJam
There have been some rare cases where players/coaches have shaved points, too.
And if/when it happens, they will most likely get caught.
When you read these boards, you’d think every person who has ever officiated a game is a cheater. I get so tired of that BS.
And every group of officials is against the posters’ favorite team...isn’t it weird how that happens. Of course that happens with every fan base of every team. I’ll be Saints fans thought the officials were cheating them today.

JuJu made the mistake of fighting for the first down. At that point in the game it wasn’t worth the risk. It would have been 2nd and 1 at the 22. Just go down, there is a good chance they get the first down on the next two plays and if they don’t they are in FG range.

Normal fan (and normal Steeler fan) meltdown = ice cream cone on warm day

PennstateNate meltdown = Chernobyl

I’m sorry, just so tired on how they lose weekly. But hey AB and JuJu got their stats do it’s good.

The dancing by Nix when he was clearly short in the 4th down fake punt sums up the Steelers way.

JuJu made the mistake of fighting for the first down. At that point in the game it wasn’t worth the risk. It would have been 2nd and 1 at the 22. Just go down, there is a good chance they get the first down on the next two plays and if they don’t they are in FG range.
If he made it we would be saying that was a hell of a play from a tough nosed player. Hindsight is crazy.

I’m sorry, just so tired on how they lose weekly. But hey AB and JuJu got their stats do it’s good.

The dancing by Nix when he was clearly short in the 4th down fake punt sums up the Steelers way.
It's the head coaches job to clean that crap up. Would Belichick allow that?

Reactions: psu00
Some may scoff at this, but I believe the Browns have a shot against the Ravens. The Ravens motivation is inderstood, but don't under estimate the Brown's motivation to having a winning season.

I don’t know. Do the Browns really care? They aren’t going to the playoffs. Winning doesn’t help them for the draft and they can sink the Steelers by mailing it in at the same time.

If he made it we would be saying that was a hell of a play from a tough nosed player. Hindsight is crazy.
True but wide receivers often get in trouble trying to fight through a tackle. If it were 3rd or 4th down, it would be different.
But it was 1st down, (about to be 2nd) and they were moving the ball well and they were in FG range.
If he doesn’t fumble there the Steelers probably win.

Reactions: PearlSUJam
I don’t know. Do the Browns really care? They aren’t going to the playoffs. Winning doesn’t help them for the draft and they can sink the Steelers by mailing it in at the same time.
With all the woes they've endured over the years, I really can't believe they'd "mail it in". Not when they have a chance to have their first winning season in years.

True but wide receivers often get in trouble trying to fight through a tackle. If it were 3rd or 4th down, it would be different.
But it was 1st down, (about to be 2nd) and they were moving the ball well and they were in FG range.
If he doesn’t fumble there the Steelers probably win.
With no time outs I understand what he was trying to do. Keep in mind he is still one of the youngest players in the league.

Reactions: 81b&w
With all word they've endured over the years, I really can't believe they'd "mail it in". Not when they halve a chance to have their first winning season in years.

You may be right. I have a feeling the fans in Cleveland would be just fine with a losing season if it keeps Pittsburgh out. ;). It will be interesting to see how that game plays out next week.

With no time outs I understand what he was trying to do. Keep in mind he is still one of the youngest players in the league.
I’m not condemning JuJu, he’s a great player.
He and AB are probably the best WR tandem in the NFL.
And I agree it’s understandable why it happened. He’s a competitor and the 1st down marker isn’t far away and he tried to fight for it. It was a split second decision made in the heat of the moment by a young and talented player.

Couple other things.

1) why would give the ball to Ridley who hardly plays?? Especially with the way Samuels was running. Even throw a screen to Switzer. Steelers are up 28-24 and moving. No doubt they score on that drive.

2) the sudden idea to throw two deep balls to James Washington on the final drive. Seems like two wasted plays and time killers.

Reactions: 81b&w and BBrown
Couple other things.

1) why would give the ball to Ridley who hardly plays?? Especially with the way Samuels was running. Even throw a screen to Switzer. Steelers are up 28-24 and moving. No doubt they score on that drive.

2) the sudden idea to throw two deep balls to James Washington on the final drive. Seems like two wasted plays and time killers.
I'll agree with you there.

The Steelers can place much blame for their situation on themselves. That said, they were were jobbed in this game as well as the Chargers loss. The incompetency of officiating in the NFL is mind-boggling.

Last edited:
Couple other things.

Yea, they wised up just in time and threw it to AB to extend the drive.

And every group of officials is against the posters’ favorite team...isn’t it weird how that happens. Of course that happens with every fan base of every team. I’ll be Saints fans thought the officials were cheating them today.

Generally true. But, in this particular game it's not even close. The officials' impact on this game is indisputable. And if you're going to utilize replay, calls like the PI should also be subject to it. It was a blatantly blown call and was not only game changing, but season changing. The guy should be fired for that.

Couple other things.

+1

Yes they do. Game was sold out today. Your level seats going for $100. Last year at this time you couldn't give seats away, literally. Browns are having a blast and they hate the Ravens. Browns best the Ravens in OT in Cleveland. I think it was Mayfield's first start. I favor the ravens but both teams are much better today and I wouldn't be surprised to see the browns win

Yes they do. Game was sold out today. Your level seats going for $100. Last year at this time you couldn't give seats away, literally. Browns are having a blast and they hate the Ravens. Browns best the Ravens in OT in Cleveland. I think it was Mayfield's first start. I favor the ravens but both teams are much better today and I wouldn't be surprised to see the browns win
Where is that game being played?

Mayfield looks like the real deal, not sure he will want Jackson to beat him.

Couple other things.

Romo made the point that they were double covering both Antonio Brown and JuJu, that it made sense to go to another target.

(I suppose we could have a whole thread about Romo as a commentator, but I think he is interesting and informative; he can explain the games within the game for offense vs defense)

Reactions: Obliviax and psualt
Romo made the point that they were double covering both Antonio Brown and JuJu, that it made sense to go to another target.

(I suppose we could have a whole thread about Romo as a commentator, but I think he is interesting and informative; he can explain the games within the game for offense vs defense)

I think he is very knowledgeable but at times is too into what he would do.

In terms on double covering Brown and JUJU. Where was McDonald, Switzer, Rogers, James?? I just have a hard time understanding why your wasting two plays on a under used rookie who only has had a handful of catches this year when your season is on the line.

Where was James today?? Did he even play?? He has been very under used. The NE game last year killed him in this offense. McDonald is way more athletic and prob has better hands, but JJ has the size to go over the middle and runs good routes.

I’m no Steelers fan. Didn’t have a dog in the hunt today.
I’m amazed at the number of people beeching about the officials here and on other sites. Even worse than those who complain on fall Saturdays during Penn State games.
I hold some very strong opinions on officials:
1. Officials don’t make it to that level if they are poor performing officials.
2. Officials don’t reach and stay at that level by favoring one team over another. Don’t ever tell me an official is cheating unless you can prove it. Don’t ever tell me a league or a conference is instructing its officials to favor one team over another unless you can prove it.
3. Officials are not perfect. Same can be said for everyone else involved in the game.
4. Officials didn’t beat the Steelers today. The Steelers beat themselves....with a little help from the Saints.

And a little help from the officials.

The pass interference call that on Haden that put the ball at the 2 and gave NO a TD was abysmal. Plain and simple. The default is no call unless an official sees clearly that the DB pushed or interfered. That did not happen.

The call that the pass for NO was incomplete was also pretty poor. The WR took 2 steps with the ball and then got the ball knocked out. There again, when the official blows the ball dead instead of allowing the play to continue and then getting together with the other officials it is an error. That was a turnover that was not allowed and also cost the Steelers a NO TD. But it is my understanding that Tomlin could have challenged the play since there was a clear recovery by the Steelers, and that if he had won a challenge the only loss would have been the return yardage. So Tomlin did have a chance to challenge and he did not so that's on him and his staff for having a poor review and challenge process.

I saw a couple other blatant interferences on NO DB's that were not called, but maybe there were some both ways.

But yes, the officials did have a impact in keeping the Steeler from winning the game. They blatantly cost the Steeler 2 NO TD's.

But in the end the Steelers had a chance to win and 2 turnovers, an area they do control, also cost them the win.

And NFL officials do show blatant incompetence and get fired and replaced. Some may have been marginal at their jobs, and some may just get old and lose their edge like workers in any profession. It happens.

Last edited:
And a little help from the officials.

The pass interference call that on Haden that put the ball at the 2 and gave NO a TD was abysmal. Plain and simple. The default is no call unless an official sees clearly that the DB pushed or interfered. That did not happen.

The call that the pass for NO was incomplete was also pretty poor. The WR too 2 steps with the ball and then got the ball knocked out. There again, when the offical blow the ball dead instead of allowing the play to continue and then getting together with the other officials it is an error. That was a turnover that was not allowed and also cost the Steelers a NO TD. But it is my understanding that Tomlin could have challenged the play since there was a clear recovery by the Steelers, and that if he had won a challenge the only loss would have been the return yardage. So Tomlin did have a chance to challenge and he did not so that's on him and his staff for having a poor review and challenge process.

I saw a couple other blatant interferences on NO DB's that were not called, but maybe there were some both ways.

But yes, the officials did have a impact in keeping the Steeler from winning the game. They blatantly cost the Steeler 2 NO TD's.

But in the end the Steelers had a chance to win and 2 turnovers, an area they do control, also cost them the win.

And NFL officials do show blatant incompetence and get fired and replaced. Some may have been marginal at their jobs, and some may just get old and lose their edge like workers in any profession. It happens.

And this is my biggest complaint. When coaches miss calls people want them canned, sometimes it even happens.

When officials miss calls they are out there again next week.

The first two calls you listed. Jim Nantz, Tony Romo, and even Gene Steratore said they were bad calls.

Reactions: BBrown and TheGLOV
And this is my biggest complaint. When coaches miss calls people want them canned, sometimes it even happens.

When officials miss calls they are out there again next week.

The first two calls you listed. Jim Nantz, Tony Romo, and even Gene Steratore said they were bad calls.
When players dance on social media YOU want them canned?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT