ADVERTISEMENT

Time to play Allar here on out

Allar might have to start vs Minny and OSU we don't how hurt Clifford is for the next two weeks.

Allar might have to start vs Minny and OSU we don't how hurt Clifford is for the next two weeks.
And if he's forced into action that's fine. It is what it is but it's not the situation anyone should "want" to put him in. Criticize Franklin for not starting his day one but this isn't the time to make a move unless there's no option

We clearly have more issues than Clifford, but Clifford is clearly awful. It's more than obvious at this point. We need more than a "game manager" who can't even make simple throws.
Agreed. He hasn't gotten any better in 3 years. Might as play Allar. If he's that good, he's gone after a few years anyways.

Reactions: MacNit07
If you watched OSU this year, they just flat out bring it and a lot of times leave their DBs one on one. They rotate 10 to 12 DL - they're extremely deep. The QB they are most vulnerable to are the QBs with legs that can get away from the pressure - like that Toledo QB who ran few a few 1st downs. Completely different philosophy than they had last year. Not an ideal situation for Allar who could get killed back there. Seriously, if you thought Michigan brought pressure, wait til OSU - Allar will have to make quick decisions
Correct, Allar
If you watched OSU this year, they just flat out bring it and a lot of times leave their DBs one on one. They rotate 10 to 12 DL - they're extremely deep. The QB they are most vulnerable to are the QBs with legs that can get away from the pressure - like that Toledo QB who ran few a few 1st downs. Completely different philosophy than they had last year. Not an ideal situation for Allar who could get killed back there. Seriously, if you thought Michigan brought pressure, wait til OSU - Allar will have to make quick decisions
I wouldn't let Allar play against OSU. Should Clifford get hurt I would sub in Veilleux because he has full game experience. I would like to see Allar and Villeux each receive reps the remaining 5 games to have a real QB competition that continues into the Spring. Bench Clifford the remaining five games. His era is done, he has had plenty of opportunities.

QB is not your biggest problem. Your OL, and especially DL and LBs are - it was obvious today. Go back and watch Michigan's games against Maryland, Iowa, and Indiana and concentrate on the LOS. You'll see they stacked up OK against Michigan
Those are the 3 glaring problems but QB is also a problem. He is a 6th year Senior and still too often locks onto his primary receiver and makes far too many errant throws.

Last edited:
i think Minnesota is the time to do it

Ohio State isn't going to turn on whether we start Clifford. low chances of winning that game in any scenario
Minnesota's offense is awful right now but their D has been solid. It's not the time. If Clifford can't go then it is what it is but otherwise it's Clifford for 2 more games and if he wins both he continues to start.

I cant seriously believe that you guys want us to trot Clifford back out there vs Minnesota. This is wild.
I'm not sure where I stand on this one, but I will say this.'if Franklin takes your advice, and Allar gets killed, nobody on this board will ever let you live it down! 🤔😉

If Allar is so mentally weak he cannot handle getting sacked say 4-5 times or more vs O$U then we have bigger problems with him. This is basically the minor leagues of the NFL. This kid fully expects to be in the NFL in 3 years. He is a big boy literally and figuratively. He can handle it. Put him in against Minny as the starter. We can beat them with him as the starter and he gains confidence while assuming the leadership role for this team. We have nothing to lose. Allar is the future. Clifford gives us no better shot against Minny or O$U and more downside in my opinion.

Clifford was responsible for 72% of your yards from scrimmage yesterday. He wasn't the problem. Your offensive and defensive lines were the problem.
Correct, he wasnt the entire problem but you guys are not comprehending that bc Clifford cannot make certain throws Michigan was going to cram all of their defenders up close. This made it impossible to run and to throw the short passes/screens that we have Clifford throw. A different QB changes the entire defensive formation/strategy. No excuse to the defense but when your Offense keeps going 3 and out this also is tiring on the D who can't get any rest.

Correct, he wasnt the entire problem but you guys are not comprehending that bc Clifford cannot make certain throws Michigan was going to cram all of their defenders up close. This made it impossible to run and to throw the short passes/screens that we have Clifford throw. A different QB changes the entire defensive formation/strategy. No excuse to the defense but when your Offense keeps going 3 and out this also is tiring on the D who can't get any rest.

It is true that Clifford doesn't have the arm strength of Allar. But he does have a better understanding of coverage, can avoid the rush better, and knows the entire offense. Having a "big arm" is not that important when the offensive line can't give receivers enough time to get thirty yards downfield.

It is true that Clifford doesn't have the arm strength of Allar. But he does have a better understanding of coverage, can avoid the rush better, and knows the entire offense. Having a "big arm" is not that important when the offensive line can't give receivers enough time to get thirty yards downfield.
Michigan only had 2 sacks. He had time to throw.

Michigan only had 2 sacks. He had time to throw.

My only question is if Allar is ready. Bring confused by coverage can lead to holding onto the ball too long. Not being ready can lead to getting hurt. He isn't going to be avoiding getting hit like Caleb Williams.

If Clifford is being inaccurate, that is one thing. But again, Clifford wasn't the problem yesterday.

My only question is if Allar is ready. Bring confused by coverage can lead to holding onto the ball too long. Not being ready can lead to getting hurt. He isn't going to be avoiding getting hit like Caleb Williams.

If Clifford is being inaccurate, that is one thing. But again, Clifford wasn't the problem yesterday.
He was part of the problem, yes.

Correct, Allar

I would like to see Allar and Villeux each receive reps the remaining 5 games to have a real QB competition that continues into the Spring. Bench Clifford the remaining five games. His era is done, he has had plenty of opportunities.
I believe that Veilleux will be in a real QB competition at another school this coming Spring. Yep he has full game experience which is why after seeing Allar jump him and basically being annointed the next starting PSU QB there is little reason for Veilleux to stay at PSU. It would be a pleasant surprise to me if Veilleux stays at PSU for another season.

Would be nice to see the 2023 QB Smolik enroll early so at least PSU has 3 scholarship QB's for the Spring.

No excuse to the defense but when your Offense keeps going 3 and out this also is tiring on the D who can't get any rest.

We only had two 3-and-outs in the first half, and none the rest of the game. Michigan had the ball for 50 plays because our defense couldn't get them off the field. The pick 6 hurt our defense in the long run because it forced them to play 16 plays in a row and based on the second half tackling, they didn't recover.

Essentially, unless we fielded an offense like Tennessee or OSU, we weren't winning vs Michigan this past weekend. You have to stop somebody eventually. At least once.

Are we watching the same guy?
Doesn't have much pocket presence, tends to flee in reverse when pressure begins, generally not good in going through his progressions, and is okay in his accuracy short to mid-range, but doesn't throw deep well.

At 6 years in, what we see is what we are likely to get the rest of the year.

Can't think of a good reason NOT to play Allar -- for his future development and for the best current option too.

Reactions: bytir
Hack was better than Clifford.
Its a good debate
Are we watching the same guy?
Doesn't have much pocket presence, tends to flee in reverse when pressure begins, generally not good in going through his progressions, and is okay in his accuracy short to mid-range, but doesn't throw deep well.

At 6 years in, what we see is what we are likely to get the rest of the year.

Can't think of a good reason NOT to play Allar -- for his future development and for the best current option too.
Clifford has even struggled on the shorter passes the past 3 games.

To a lesser extent WR. They couldn't get any separation
And we shouldn't leave out the TEs; they did very little Saturday also.

Strange 1 catch for 9 yards, no catches by other TE. Seemed to me that Strange and Tyler Warren also did not block well. Don't think #84 even saw the field.

We clearly have more issues than Clifford, but Clifford is clearly awful. It's more than obvious at this point. We need more than a "game manager" who can't even make simple throws.
I was at the game and haven't re-watched on TV, but it didn't look like Clifford made too many mistakes. He didn't turn the ball over and didn't miss any obviously open WR. I don't think he was sacked until late the game and came up with a huge run. Biggest issues were lack of support in the running game and receivers not getting open. That's not on Clifford.

I was at the game and haven't re-watched on TV, but it didn't look like Clifford made too many mistakes. He didn't turn the ball over and didn't miss any obviously open WR. I don't think he was sacked until late the game and came up with a huge run. Biggest issues were lack of support in the running game and receivers not getting open. That's not on Clifford.
Clifford was 7 for 19. Not good.

Clifford was 7 for 19. Not good.
Tough to complete passes when WR aren't open. Show me what bad decisions and/or bad throws he made that you think Allar (who was 5-10 for 37 yards....really not good) would have made.

Tough to complete passes when WR aren't open. Show me what bad decisions and/or bad throws he made that you think Allar (who was 5-10 for 37 yards....really not good) would have made.
Well, 5 for 10 is somewhat better plus Allar threw a perfect deep ball that a wide open Singleton somehow dropped. Clifford is not the answer.

Well, 5 for 10 is somewhat better plus Allar threw a perfect deep ball that a wide open Singleton somehow dropped. Clifford is not the answer.
Clifford threw a beautiful deep ball to Wallace (48 yards) that was caught.

"Well, 5 for 10 is somewhat better"
Not at 3.7 yards per attempt it isn't.

Clifford is the answer until PSU loses another game. Unless he is seriously hurt (obviously).

Clifford threw a beautiful deep ball to Wallace (48 yards) that was caught.

"Well, 5 for 10 is somewhat better"
Not at 3.7 yards per attempt it isn't.

Clifford is the answer until PSU loses another game. Unless he is seriously hurt (obviously).
Such a loser mentality. Sad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT