ADVERTISEMENT

U23 Worlds

Let’s go Vito!
Vito in on a shot. Step out 1-0. In again and this time finishes and straight to a lace. 5-0. Vito gives up a Td in a scramble. 5-2. Vito gets a single to a step out. 6-2. Crazy scramble and KGZ gets 2. 6-4 at the break. Step out 6-5. Again. 6-6 and KGZ has criteria. Td KGZ and it’s 8-6. Min and a half left. Another Td and it’s 10-6. Vito has fallen apart. Stopped attacking and getting moved all over the mat. Min left. Injury time so hopefully Vito got his breath for a sprint. Vito goes down 11-6. Wow

Arujau is the first US loss, was up 6-2 and gave up ten unanswered plus a lost challenge. 11-6.

Carter v Balta (TUR)
  • Carter backing up early, now on the clock
  • Gets a single but lets it go, down 1-0 on shot clock point
  • Balta with a leg but Carter stuffs it
  • Carter from front head lock works it into an easy go-behind, 2-1 at break
  • Carter grabs a single, drives out of bounds, 3-1
  • Both guys with a leg but Carter prevails, now with a lace and it's 9-1
  • Make that 7-1
  • Balta with a leg but Carter splits, out of bounds but they're grounded
  • Carter makes it 9-1, adds a lace and it's over, 11-1, on to the semis

Carter up against Turkey in the quarterfinals. Carter on the clock. Immediately in on a single but TUR fights out of it. Shot clock point goes up. 1-0 TUR. CStar with a td off a front headlock to go up 2-1. 2-1 at the break. Carter ready to go waiting in the center. Carter with a single to a step out. 3-1. Starocci with another Td of a low level shot and into a lace. 9-1 now with 1:30 left. Refs confer and it’s now 7-1. Carter with another Td off a front headlock and a lace for a 11-1 tech! Carter into the semis!

Yahya wins 4-1 and is into the semis. Has a tall task though as he meets up with baby Yaz.
Tanner Sloan up soon on mat 3 for the last uS wrestler of the session

Reactions: danoftw and hlstone
very frustrating that there is no schedule anywhere when matches are on Flo’s sight or social media. Missed Carters first two matches. Happened to catch last one. Let’s go!

what time is his semi?

very frustrating that there is no schedule anywhere when matches are on Flo’s sight or social media. Missed Carters first two matches. Happened to catch last one. Let’s go!

what time is his semi?

Day 5 - Friday, Oct 21

Session I
4:30 AM - 9:30 AM: MFS qualification (57, 65, 70, 79, 97), WFS repechage (53, 57, 62, 65, 72)

Session II
10:45 AM - 2:30 PM: MFS semis (57, 65, 70, 79, 97), WFS medal matches (53, 57, 62, 65, 72)

Reactions: hlstone and pish69
Sloan looked good, I think he was battling health issues last college season - I also wonder if he's one of those guys who really struggles to make 197 as he always seems to have more energy in free up in weight.

What's the problem with CStar's hair? His first two bouts, apparent hair grease seems to have held up both matches.

He was way too good for his first 3 opponents. The way he keeps his feet moving seems to slow up the other guys' shots. And they ALWAYS seem to gas a little way into the 2nd period. He pressures them too much.

Been watching Starocci since the PIAA's. I swear he has improved every year. When he committed to PSU, I just didn't think he would be good enough. And now he's a NCAA 2xer and wrestling in the World semis. Yeah, I'm a real expert.

Carter Alphonse Starocci is up against Oktay Ruzhdi Hasan (BUL) on Mat A.
  • Carter wearing headgear.
  • Carter warned for fingers
  • Carter gets a step-out point but Hasan was in the act of complaining about something, now Carter is towelling off. They remove his headgear and towel off some more. Now Carter with no headgear.
  • Carter with a single, lifts but settles for a step-out point. 2-0.
  • Hasan warned for passivity
  • Carter another single, this time he gets the two, then turns for another two. 6-0.
  • Break
  • Carter with a leg, lifts, goes behind at edge but only given 1. 7-0.
  • Carter gets an ankle, scramble, Carter working to come out back, he does, then drops down for a lace, and that's it. 11-0. He looked really good.
Carter removing his headgear:

kurt-angle-wwe.gif

Mrs. Grey will be coming after you on Twitter.
I’ve been off Twitter for awhile, but she’s a nightmare.

Imagine the passive aggressive shit Mike Grey has to put up with at home.

The loudest ones from the Cornell peanut gallery generally are room guys like that Berreyesa kid who pretty much did nothing, but was constantly yapping at guys like Zain.

I’ve been off Twitter for awhile, but she’s a nightmare.

Imagine the passive aggressive shit Mike Grey has to put up with at home.

The loudest ones from the Cornell peanut gallery generally are room guys like that Berreyesa kid who pretty much did nothing, but was constantly yapping at guys like Zain.
Did you just out Angry Fish?

Yahya looking good at 70kg. Up 2-0 over baby Yaz after 1

Carter is on Deck on the same Mat (B)

and the flo stream goes out with 36 seconds left in the yahya match. comes back and they're walking off the mat. what a joke

Carter up v Yergesh (KAZ)
  • Choppy feed, hope it holds up.
  • (it is not holding up; dropping frame rate helps slightly, maybe?)
  • Still 0-0 thru 1:30, Yergesh put on clock
  • Carter gets the shot clock point.
  • 1-0 at break. Carter definitely the aggressor, but neither guy doing much so far.
  • Yergesh with a TD, looking lace, appears to have it, and he's scoring. 8-1, Carter in a hole.
  • Carter with a double and a lace of his own for two more, 8-5.
  • Carter in on legs, now Yergesh in on legs. :33 remaining.
  • Carter with a single and... the feed is "experiencing technical difficulties."
  • It is over. Per Twitter, Carter got two more to close it to 8-7 but that's it. Carter will wrestle for Bronze.

Last edited:
Flo crapped out on me during Carter's match. He was in on a single with 30 seconds left and I didn't see how it ended. Wtf??

I think the kid pinned himself when trying to force the lace. They should call that... don't you all?

Reactions: hlstone
I’m always the first to shit on Flo but this was a UWW issue. That being said, UWW is streaming for free, Flo is buying rights then charging a small fortune for them. If you’re gonna do that, you have to deliver.

Is it strange that Vito is wrestling 57kg but will not wrestle 125 this year and that Sloan who is doing awesome will be cutting 17 lbs to wrestle in NCAA's?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT