ADVERTISEMENT

U23 Worlds

It was a weird scramble but I don't think Elor gave up 2 there.

She does the same thing every time and opponents have to know what's coming by now, but there's nothing they can do to stop her from doing it.
I agree. I thought it should have been 2 for Amit, but then she would have had the TF before pinning her. Semi-final didn't last nearly as long. She is going to be winning World and Olympic Gold Medals for a long time as she is still only 18.

I think it's a bit of both. She's stronger than probably everyone she's faced, even at the senior level, and those breakdowns don't work if someone is stronger than you, but she also knows what to do when she gets you down, and she's good in scrambles--she's never lost out there when things get weird, which is rare, but still. At the same time, she's not really athletic, and it's hard to pinpoint why anyone would say that but her footwork, while not clumsy, doesn't feel natural, it feels more learned and earned.

I said this in one of the other Worlds threads, but Amit Elor is doing Judo + Greco + go behinds.

Literally a different sport than her competitors. If you don’t blow through her and it goes to the mat, she’s ripping your head off and taking you over.

I said this in one of the other Worlds threads, but Amit Elor is doing Judo + Greco + go behinds.

Literally a different sport than her competitors. If you don’t blow through her and it goes to the mat, she’s ripping your head off and taking you over.
I forgot your discussion about that--thanks, @AndEEss! This is what I was hoping to see. Do you know Judo? So in theory, if I was a young wrestler, and wanted to copy Amit, there are things I can learn, beyond getting strong. Just something interesting to ponder.

I have said if I could start my kids over wrestling I would start them in tumbling and gymnastics as soon as they were out of diapers. Not worry about wrestling but the body and spacial awareness. Learn balance and core strength. Then into judo and finally into wrestling at about 10-12 or as they want it. I think it would help the mental side of wrestling as well.

I forgot your discussion about that--thanks, @AndEEss! This is what I was hoping to see. Do you know Judo? So in theory, if I was a young wrestler, and wanted to copy Amit, there are things I can learn, beyond getting strong. Just something interesting to ponder.
Schalles would be a great person to have this conversation with. The guy Schalles spent a ton of time with in offseason training taught him judo techniques and jiu-jitsu techniques to go along with basic balance and leverage concepts.

I have said if I could start my kids over wrestling I would start them in tumbling and gymnastics as soon as they were out of diapers. Not worry about wrestling but the body and spacial awareness. Learn balance and core strength. Then into judo and finally into wrestling at about 10-12 or as they want it. I think it would help the mental side of wrestling as well.
Nope - it’s better to just keep grindin’ and workin’. Hand fight and down block - repeat incessantly!!!

You didnt hear Nick Lee say he was going back to the freakin judo class did ya??

NO! It’s CHOP WOOD and CARRY WATER.
For those of you who may not know, it certainly sounded like Nick was going back to the farm to work hard during the of season doing physical chores. That certainly might help but the reference was actually to the process and philosophy espoused by:

Amazon product ASIN 153698440X

Already mentioned but sad the Iranians have the "We don't wrestle Israel" policy.

So, what time does action start tomorrow? I haven’t been able to find a schedule for some reason.

So, what time does action start tomorrow? I haven’t been able to find a schedule for some reason.

From USA wrestling: The Group Two repechage will begin at 10:30 a.m. on Friday, with the medal match finals set for 6:00 p.m. local time. Pontevedra is six hours ahead of U.S. Eastern time. The first day of men’s freestyle competition is also scheduled for Friday.

So Carter maybe 6 ish, I can hope. I rallied for Srs. at 4:30, but given how tired I feel right now, I don’t think it’s gonna happen tomorrow.

So Carter maybe 6 ish, I can hope. I rallied for Srs. at 4:30, but given how tired I feel right now, I don’t think it’s gonna happen tomorrow.
It wouldn't be hard for Flo to set up a spoiler free link where you could watch matches and not know the score. In fact it would be super easy but it's pointless since Flo wouldn't piss on one of its subscribers if he was on fire.

Do you all think Amit has just insane strength, or is there technique here that could translate to any wrestler? The way she traps the elbows and just bulldozes people to the mat is so impressive--I know--it's probably a fuzzy combination, but I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone do what she does--definitely not to the same success.
I'd lean toward Amit being quite strong! Amit Elor

Last edited:
It wouldn't be hard for Flo to set up a spoiler free link where you could watch matches and not know the score. In fact it would be super easy but it's pointless since Flo wouldn't piss on one of its subscribers if he was on fire.
Isn't that what Flo does to its subscribers any other time?

That record is absolutely astounding. On another note, Amit Elor was born one day too late, January 1, 2004, to compete in the Olympic Trials or she would have had a chance to match Susaki's "Grand Slam" record for World titles. It would have been a monumental task as she would have had to beat Olympic champion Tamyra Mensah-Stock at 68 kg just to make the team. From a previous interview Amit said she makes 72 kg comfortably and would probably drop down to 68 kg to try to make the team in 2024. It really is a shame that both the men's and women's wrestlers only get six Olympic weights.

Reactions: Ski
Carter Alphonse Starocci is up against Oktay Ruzhdi Hasan (BUL) on Mat A.
  • Carter wearing headgear.
  • Carter warned for fingers
  • Carter gets a step-out point but Hasan was in the act of complaining about something, now Carter is towelling off. They remove his headgear and towel off some more. Now Carter with no headgear.
  • Carter with a single, lifts but settles for a step-out point. 2-0.
  • Hasan warned for passivity
  • Carter another single, this time he gets the two, then turns for another two. 6-0.
  • Break
  • Carter with a leg, lifts, goes behind at edge but only given 1. 7-0.
  • Carter gets an ankle, scramble, Carter working to come out back, he does, then drops down for a lace, and that's it. 11-0. He looked really good.

Last edited:
Carter Alphonse Starocci is up against Oktay Ruzhdi Hasan (BUL) on Mat A.
  • Carter wearing headgear.
  • Carter warned for fingers
  • Carter gets a step-out point but Hasan was in the act of complaining about something, now Carter is towelling off. They remove his headgear and towel off some more. Now Carter with no headgear.
  • Carter with a single, lifts but settles for a step-out point. 2-0.
  • Hasan warned for passivity
  • Carter another single, this time he gets the two, then turns for another two. 6-0.
  • Break
  • Carter with a leg, lifts, goes behind at edge but only given 1. 7-0.
  • Carter gets an ankle, scramble, Carter working to come out back, he does, then drops down for a lace, and that's it. 11-0. He looked really good.
11-0 tech. Looked good nice Lace action

Reactions: danoftw and PaJules
Tanner Sloan (SD State) looked pretty good too, with a 12-2 tech over Celik (TUR). Mostly counters where he used his speed.

Waiting on a challenge and they erase 2 points for Sloan. 47 seconds later it ends 10-2.

Reactions: danoftw and hlstone
Carter up 4-0 at the break. 2 tds
Reinbok looks huge. CStar is a decent size 79kg but I think Reinbok is noticeably bigger.
Carter with a 3rd Td to go up 6-0. Min and a half left. Beautiful hi-c for another td. 8-0. One more Td to finish the 10-0 tech. Carter looking very good

Vito in the hole on mat 3.

Baby Yaz with a 15-5 tech over Talgat. It was close for the first period and the Yazdani opened it up. Has another tough match against Japan next.

Lehr who beat Gilman earlier this year against Javan from Iran. 2-2 at the break. Lehr gets behind Javan in a scramble and bombs him for 5! Huge throw. Javan strikes back with a td. 7-4. Last second Td for Lehr. Ends 9-4. Fun match!

ADVERTISEMENT