ADVERTISEMENT

U23 worlds

zzs006

Mar 27, 2017
The entry list just came out. The US isn’t bringing a great team but we do have AB and Keegan going. I don’t think I’ll do a breakdown for this tournament.

Brooks will have a few tough guys who will absolutely challenge him. Main one is probably Arslan Bagaev from Russia. Flo had him ranked 3rd going into worlds behind DT and Yazdani but he didn’t have a good tournament. Rezaei from Iran is tough as well. Keegan also has a few guys who should push him. Dzhabrail GADZHIEV is very good and if him and Keegan meet it would be a great match.

Iran is bringing a super tough team. At heavy we might see Wyatt Hendrickson vs Masoumi. They also have Azimi (U20 champ), Azapira, VALIZADEH, and Khorramdel. They are the team favorites for sure

Tournament is happening October 23-29

The entry list just came out. The US isn’t bringing a great team but we do have AB and Keegan going. I don’t think I’ll do a breakdown for this tournament.

Brooks will have a few tough guys who will absolutely challenge him. Main one is probably Arslan Bagaev from Russia. Flo had him ranked 3rd going into worlds behind DT and Yazdani but he didn’t have a good tournament. Rezaei from Iran is tough as well. Keegan also has a few guys who should push him. Dzhabrail GADZHIEV is very good and if him and Keegan meet it would be a great match.

Iran is bringing a super tough team. At heavy we might see Wyatt Hendrickson vs Masoumi. They also have Azimi (U20 champ), Azapira, VALIZADEH, and Khorramdel. They are the team favorites for sure

Tournament is happening October 23-29

Do you think there will be a tournament considering the war in the region? As a US citizen I would not want to take that chance.

Reactions: bigbopper1985
Do you think there will be a tournament considering the war in the region? As a US citizen I would not want to take that chance.
Jordan is stable and Amman is far removed from the fighting. The entire country of Israel is between the war zone and Jordan.

This would be like saying we can't have NCAAs in Kansas City because of an outbreak of gangs fighting police and military in northern Mexico, with Texas and Oklahoma in between.

Jordan is stable and Amman is far removed from the fighting. The entire country of Israel is between the war zone and Jordan.

This would be like saying we can't have NCAAs in Kansas City because of an outbreak of gangs fighting police and military in northern Mexico, with Texas and Oklahoma in between.
Exactly! My former biz partner has worked in Amman for the last 5 years. I visited in 2019. It’s a lot like Kansas City except that it’s hotter and somewhat less booze is available. Fly, wrestle, rejoice!

I think its just bad timing--too close to the NCAA season, and the studs are already focussed on senior level events anyway. I guess we'll see if they move NCAA to spring semester only.
It would be worse if they moved it to a spring semester. But U23s is far enough from the NCAA season that they compete (US Open is far closer for example)

Some years and some weights are tougher than others. I think it just has more to do with individual plans. You've got guys do senior level tournaments, injuries, some want to focus on folk, and some don't want to make the team and compete in FS in September.

Based on AB's results against DT, I'd say he's got to be one of the favorites here. No one has scored multiple takedowns against DT in a match, aside from Yazdani, in YEARS.

Based on AB's results against DT, I'd say he's got to be one of the favorites here. No one has scored multiple takedowns against DT in a match, aside from Yazdani, in YEARS.
Probably the favorite but should be pushed by a couple guys at least. I’m interested in 74kg. Keegan is also the favorite I would think but Ghadziev is a multiple time age level champ and was right there to make the AZE senior team. Plus, 74 is almost always a stacked weight. I do wish we would have brought a better team or even had some of the U20 guys like mesenbrink be able to go

Reactions: js8793

Looks like they have moved to Tirana, Albania.

Probably the favorite but should be pushed by a couple guys at least. I’m interested in 74kg. Keegan is also the favorite I would think but Ghadziev is a multiple time age level champ and was right there to make the AZE senior team. Plus, 74 is almost always a stacked weight. I do wish we would have brought a better team or even had some of the U20 guys like mesenbrink be able to go
Why wasnt Mesenbrink able to go?

Looks like they have moved to Tirana, Albania.
What say you @El-Jefe and @baccafarmer ?

Last edited:
He wouldn’t have been able anyway. KOT automatically got the spot by placing top 3 at Senior WTT. So unless he went to Senior WTT and placed top 3 or went down to 70kg he wasn’t making the team regardless
For some reason I thought he was still at 70. Thanks for the correction.

Reactions: wrestlingfan22
The US womens U23 team is incredible. Most of our young stars are going. I expect them to have a great showing. The team is

50kg-Audrey Jimenez
53kg-Katie Gomez
55kg-Alisha Howk
57kg-XMP
59kg-Nichole Moore
62kg-Adaugo Nwachukwu
65kg-Macey Kilty
68kg-Katie Lange
72kg-Amit Elor
76kg-Kennedy Blades

This linked Flo article lists all of their credentials. Pretty impressive group of young women

Except that it is about 1900km from Kansas City to Mexico and 200km from Amman to Gaza.

State College and Pittsburgh would be more similar in distance. Or State College to Lancaster.

Reactions: WexfordWarrior
Except that it is about 1900km from Kansas City to Mexico and 200km from Amman to Gaza.

State College and Pittsburgh would be more similar in distance. Or State College to Lancaster.
Oh yeah? Well how far was Sammy Brooks from beating Bo Nickal?

(Places ball on tee and backs away anxiously.)

The analogy wasn't about distance.

Oh yeah? Well how far was Sammy Brooks from beating Bo Nickal?

(Places ball on tee and backs away anxiously.)
Would guess around 3 feet. That would probably be the distance Sammy's body would have had to roll to make Bo's back be on the mat. I might not be close at all, but am I in the "region"?

(Enjoy your two-putt as I chip in.)

Are semi's and gold match today? If so, approx what time? TIA

Competition Schedule

All times listed below are Tirana, Albania, local time, six hours ahead of U.S. Eastern Time.

Monday, October 23
10:30 a.m. – Qualification Rounds (MFS 61-74-86-92-125 kg) *Aaron begins competition.
5:15 p.m. – Opening Ceremony
6 p.m. – Semifinals (MFS 61-74-86-92-125 kg)

Tuesday, October 24
10:30 a.m. – Qualification Rounds (MFS 57-65-70-79-97 kg) and Repechage (MFS 61-74-86-92-125 kg)
4:45 p.m. – Semifinals (MFS 57-65-70-79-97 kg)
6 p.m. – Medal Matches and Awards (MFS 61-74-86-92-125 kg)

Wednesday, October 25
10:30 a.m. – Qualification Rounds (WFS 50-55-59-68-76 kg) and Repechage (MFS 57-65-70-79-97 kg)
4:45 p.m. – Semifinals (WFS 50-55-59-68-76 kg)
6 p.m. – Medal Matches and Awards (MFS 57-65-70-79-97 kg)

Reactions: pish69
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT