ADVERTISEMENT

U23 worlds

And another "nothing in the tank" performance by Blades in the finals of 76kg (lost 9-2). There's just too many of them to convince me she's not struggling with the weight.

And another "nothing in the tank" performance by Blades in the finals of 76kg (lost 9-2). There's just too many of them to convince me she's not struggling with the weight.
I disagree. She didn't looked gassed to me and was still firing off attacks at the end.

She really struggles with forward pressure. Her offense can be a little one dimensional. Powerful opponents tie her up, keep her off the legs, and bully her to the edge. She does not look strong enough for 76.

I disagree. She didn't looked gassed to me and was still firing off attacks at the end.

She really struggles with forward pressure. Her offense can be a little one dimensional. Powerful opponents tie her up, keep her off the legs, and bully her to the edge. She does not look strong enough for 76.
I agree. It didn't look like she gassed in this match. She just got horsed around. I don't think she has the strength to keep up with the stronger women at the weight.

Reactions: js8793 and AndEEss
She’s going down to 68kg, so there’s that.
In her interview after the U20 World Championships she said she is still undecided if she will go 68 or 76kg at the Trials. I haven't seen any more-recent interviews of her. I am really hoping 68kg is attainable for her as the U.S. women are loaded at 76kg.

Reactions: WIP2001
In the early matches at Final X in Newark, Blades blasted right through Adeline Gray's defense in the early part of their first and second matches. You're not going to tell me today's opponent is stronger than Gray.

Blades scored against Adeline by taking a step back, breaking contact and getting Adeline to step forwards.

A strong opponent who doesn’t let her break contact takes away her entire offense.

Amit Elor, for example, doesn‘t let a lot of her opponents break contact with her; her entire game is predicated on physical contact and control.

In her interview after the U20 World Championships she said she is still undecided if she will go 68 or 76kg at the Trials. I haven't seen any more-recent interviews of her. I am really hoping 68kg is attainable for her as the U.S. women are loaded at 76kg.
This. She was going to listen to her body, etc. it didn’t sound like she wants a big cut. I’m sure she’s also confident she can win either weight.

But after Senior Worlds I'm pretty sure she indicated she was planning to go 68kg.

Reactions: GOLDBANGER
Watch her post-Senior worlds interview.

Irony:

Amit Elor pinned Zaineb Sghaier from Tunisia today. People often mistakenly cite her going 0-2 at the Zouhaier Sghaier Rankings Series in Tunisia (to Sghaier and Bipasha (IND)) as her last international loss. I don't think she even weighed in, and she might not have even made the trip.

I can’t help but think how tacky it looks when we have so many issues with governing bodies and politics that a semi-final in the world championships is AIN vs UWW.

Does it ever look this bad in other sports? Or do they just let them compete/ban them outright?

Aaron Brooks vs Arslan Bagaev Semifinal - Full Match

Aaron looks jacked compared to last year, Cael and Casey in the corner. Bagaev gassed hard right towards the end of the 2nd period.

Watching him at Final X, I came to the realization that the pull to 184 last season was probably very difficult for him. It is like night and day and the field at 197 better look out.

Updated again: Nine combined age and senior World Championships medals (eight being gold) since 2019, and still only 19, which is just incredible. I must confess I thought her competition would start finding ways to at least slow her down, but it hasn't happened! Regarding her last loss, it was in the semis of the 2019 Cadet World Championships where she lost to her Japanese opponent 3-1. She was in the lead with :25 seconds remaining, but was then taken down. She took third that tournament.

Last edited:
It is always fun to be able to update the phenomenal success Amit Elor has had in the last few years. Here are her amazing stats since 2021: In international competition she has outscored her opponents 246-9 (which includes the points she and her opponents scored in matches where she pinned her opponent) with 12 pins. As mentioned in my prior post, she has won eight age and senior World Championships gold medals during that period while still only being 19. She will turn 20 on Jan. 1. And confirming what @AndEEss mentioned earlier, the losses shown for Amit in the 2022 Zouhaier Sghaier tournament were actually forfeits where she did not wrestle.

• ’23 Senior World🥇
• ‘23 U23 World🥇
• ’23 U20 World🥇
• ‘22 Senior World🥇
• ‘22 U23 World🥇
• ’22 U20 World🥇
• ‘21 U20 World🥇
• ‘21 U17 World🥇

Last edited:
"she has outscored her opponents 246-7 (which includes the points she scored in matches where she pinned her opponent) with 12 pins."
This is an unreal statistic!

Reactions: creamery freak
Updated again: Eight combined age and senior World Championships medals (seven being gold) since 2019, and still only 19, which is just incredible. I must confess I thought her competition would start finding ways to at least slow her down, but it hasn't happened! Regarding her last loss, it was in the semis of the 2019 Cadet World Championships where she lost to her Japanese opponent 3-1. She was in the lead with :25 seconds remaining, but was then taken down. She took third that tournament.
KNOWING HOW too slow down an opponent and actually being ABLE TOO DO IT are two separate issues.

It is always fun to be able to update the phenomenal success Amit Elor has had in the last few years. Here are her amazing stats since 2021: In international competition she has outscored her opponents 246-7 (which includes the points she scored in matches where she pinned her opponent) with 12 pins. As mentioned in my prior post, she has won seven age and senior World Championships gold medals during that period while still only being 19. She will turn 20 on Jan. 1. And confirming what @AndEEss mentioned earlier, the losses shown for Amit in the 2022 Zouhaier Sghaier tournament were actually forfeits where she did not wrestle.
It's beginning to look like DT is the second most dominant wrestler in the world.

Reactions: GOLDBANGER
It's beginning to look like DT is the second most dominant wrestler in the world.
It is amazing that she has had such success without utilizing any traditional leg attacks. Her strong Jiu Jitsu background combined with her strength, positioning, footwork, hand fighting and constant forward pressure creates so many problems for her opponents. Once she gets her hands on you it is basically too late as far as initiating your offense. So far, none of her opponents have been able to keep space and more importantly, been able to penetrate enough on their shots from space to consistently score on her.

• ’23 Senior World🥇
• ‘23 U23 World🥇
• ’23 U20 World🥇
• ‘22 Senior World🥇
• ‘22 U23 World🥇
• ’22 U20 World🥇
• ‘21 U20 World🥇
• ‘21 U17 World🥇

Reactions: LOTOlion
Why don't higher profile college athletes wrestle for a spot on this team?

Some of it might be that some spots were already taken. O'Toole and Brooks (I think) both qualified for the team because they were top 3 on the Senior ladder. You're not gonna get studs going to the U23 trials if the spot is already awarded.

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT