ADVERTISEMENT

Will 133 Be The Most Discussed Weight Again?

No Flo here. Can’t picture Fix gaining on Vito. I can picture Aaron putting a ride on Fix, but whether that’s enough …

Penn State’s Aaron Nagao is discussed.

Vito can't take an ORS this year and compete for Cornell next year. Ivy League rules say you got six years (used to be five, but COVID) to use four years of eligibility. This will be Vito's sixth year since matriculating at Cornell (freshman, sophomore, ORS, COVID, junior, senior), so he's done at Cornell. He could (but won't) take an ORS and graduate from Cornell (I believe) and do a grad transfer for his final NCAA year...but he won't.

I'm expecting major gains for Nagao on his feet this year. I saw flashes of it last year .
I hope you're right, but remember Nagao was a redshirt frosh last year, not a true freshman. Probably a lot of his big leaps are behind him in terms of his NCAA career. I'll settle for little steps - this still should see him contending for a title during his time here.

I hope you're right, but remember Nagao was a redshirt frosh last year, not a true freshman. Probably a lot of his big leaps are behind him in terms of his NCAA career. I'll settle for little steps - this still should see him contending for a title during his time here.
Normally I'd agree with this. But Nagao significantly upgraded his training partners.

Went from: P. McKee, Sanders, Russell, DeShazer, M. McKee (not bad)

To: Howard, McHenry, Gilman, Rodriguez, RBY, Conaway, Bartlett, Van Ness, Nick Lee (hot damn)

So he could have a better offseason of development now than he did a year ago.

Fix won't win. His 19th year in college will be closer to Micic's than to winning. I'm just a little disappointed that his chance to make history with 5 runner ups was ruined last year. LOL.

Normally I'd agree with this. But Nagao significantly upgraded his training partners.

Went from: P. McKee, Sanders, Russell, DeShazer, M. McKee (not bad)

To: Howard, McHenry, Gilman, Rodriguez, RBY, Conaway, Bartlett, Van Ness, Nick Lee (hot damn)

So he could have a better offseason of development now than he did a year ago.
My thoughts as well.

Most interesting weights rank:

157 - Shapiro, Haines/MM, Robb, Teemer, Franek
149 - Gomez, Lovett, Van Ness
141 - Woods, Bartlett, Hardy, McNeil
165 - O'Toole, Carr (MM would move this up)
197 - Brooks, Ferrari, Hidlay
285 - Steveson, Hendrickson Kerk
133 - Vito, Fix, Nagao
174 - Starocci
184 - Keck, Truax
125 - ?????

133 - Vito, Fix, Nagao
174 - Starocci
184 - Keck, Truax
125 - ?????
125 Ramos Figueroa Ayala Camacho ( off RS I think he has a good year)

125 Ramos Figueroa Ayala Camacho ( off RS I think he has a good year)
125 is arguably the most interesting weight post Spencer.

Ramos
Noto
Barnett
Ventresca
Figueroa
McKee
DeAugustino
Ayala
Camacho
Ungar

Can see that going in many orders.

Good weight for a very low seed to make a run with a good weekend (Ventresca was a 27 seed last year and AA'ed) which is why I'm glad PSU has McHenry and hope Howard is also healthy.

133 - Vito, Fix, Nagao
174 - Starocci
184 - Keck, Truax
125 - ?????
Throw in MENDEZ at 141. Probably makes a big post-frosh jump this year.

Reactions: hlstone
Wasn't there a rumor that McKee was going up, finally? I thought I heard that somewhere.

Ironically, they likely lost Spratley because he didn't feel like sitting behind McKee any more.

125 is arguably the most interesting weight post Spencer.

Ramos
Noto
Barnett
Ventresca
Figueroa
McKee
DeAugustino
Ayala
Camacho
Ungar

Can see that going in many orders.

Good weight for a very low seed to make a run with a good weekend (Ventresca was a 27 seed last year and AA'ed) which is why I'm glad PSU has McHenry and hope Howard is also healthy.
125 in the big 10 is loaded
Ramos
Barnett
Mckee
DeAugustino
Petersen
Ayala
Smith ( App transfer)
Howard
Brown
Cardiani

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
125 in the big 10 is loaded
Ramos
Barnett
Mckee
DeAugustino
Petersen
Ayala
Smith ( App transfer)
Howard
Brown
Cardiani
I really really want Howard to be our 125, kid deserves it but am apprehensive.

Do you know if Ayala is available 1st half? Heard he might rest until January. Huge talent obviously. I said previously if not for injuries, I think we would be talking about him as the clear favorite right now.

Wasn't there a rumor that McKee was going up, finally? I thought I heard that somewhere.

Ironically, they likely lost Spratley because he didn't feel like sitting behind McKee any more.
Nope - I think McKee's MO will forever be making a large cut, dying in the first match off the scale and then winning 6 in a row lol.

He was hurt last year.

Nope - I think McKee's MO will forever be making a large cut, dying in the first match off the scale and then winning 6 in a row lol.

He was hurt last year.
The two might be related. Plenty of academic literature pointing to a correlation between weight cutting and injury rates.

133 - Vito, Fix, Nagao
174 - Starocci
184 - Keck, Truax
125 - ?????
I know it’s probably been brought up before on here, but is Shapiro to 157 a sure thing?

Reactions: vhsalum

133 - Vito, Fix, Nagao
174 - Starocci
184 - Keck, Truax
125 - ?????
Did you secretly put the names in order of your expected finish ?

157 the most story lines , fantastic talent new and old , and the list goes on …
197 solely to watch brooks and Ferrari , otherwise way down at the bottom
165 cause I don’t think we see an o’toole carr rematch. I shall not elaborate to save face . 125 i have not a clue .
I see no clear favorite . Match to match I would be guessing.
174 I think it’s the weight class most effected by the rule changes .
149 seems open as to the winner , also some interesting matches such as Ferrari vs chittum assuming they both manage to wrestle at this weight
133 hard to see Vito not win
285 hard to see Steveson not win but if he is back I will root for whoever wrestles against him .

This all of course assumes people wrestle the weight I think they will wrestle.

Not sure what this outlet is, but they seem to suffer form Wrestlestat rankingitis, RE Daton Fix. How can a zero time champ be ahead of 5 separate champs, including one who MAJORED him in the semis just last year?

I’ve never thought p4p rankings were clear enough but the way I would define it my top two are brooks and Vito . Starocci probably third . Gable would be first if he wrestles

Would be interesting to see someone else’s top 10

Did you secretly put the names in order of your expected finish ?

157 the most story lines , fantastic talent new and old , and the list goes on …
197 solely to watch brooks and Ferrari , otherwise way down at the bottom
165 cause I don’t think we see an o’toole carr rematch. I shall not elaborate to save face . 125 i have not a clue .
I see no clear favorite . Match to match I would be guessing.
174 I think it’s the weight class most effected by the rule changes .
149 seems open as to the winner , also some interesting matches such as Ferrari vs chittum assuming they both manage to wrestle at this weight
133 hard to see Vito not win
285 hard to see Steveson not win but if he is back I will root for whoever wrestles against him .

This all of course assumes people wrestle the weight I think they will wrestle.

Chittum is going 157 (Swiderski up to 149)

Reactions: Bosox2004
I’ve never thought p4p rankings were clear enough but the way I would define it my top two are brooks and Vito . Starocci probably third . Gable would be first if he wrestles

The fun internal thought experiment is imagining them all the same weight, and picking who wins the tourney--but still, it's hard to picture how a Vito vs. Gable match would go, right? This line of inquiry is hard to really discuss because of how subjective things are. That's probably why I wouldn't have Vito that high on an NCAA list, even though I'm not sure there's a hotter wrestler in the world right now. It's easy to go with number of titles, combined with best wins, and I think that works well here too, but it does penalize young studs. Keegan winning that bracket last year is definitely worth something. AB has not beaten a national champ, I don't believe. Vito and Mekhi both have beaten a 2xer. Carr too, beating Keegan, and also Shane. Starocci has beaten Mekhi among his 3 titles, so I think maybe he's my #1. So many factors. The debate can never end....

That said, I think we can all agree that you have to reallllly reach to find a metric to have Fix as 3rd on this list. That's just insane, and he's obviously a very good wrestler.

Last edited:
The fun internal thought experiment is imagining them all the same weight, and picking who wins the tourney--but still, it's hard to picture how a Vito vs. Gable match would go, right? This line of inquiry is hard to really discuss because of how subjective things are. That's probably why I wouldn't have Vito that high on an NCAA list, even though I'm not sure there's a hotter wrestler in the world right now. It's easy to go with number of titles, combined with best wins, and I think that works well here too, but it does penalize young studs. Keegan winning that bracket last year is definitely worth something. AB has not beaten a national champ, I don't believe. Vito and Mekhi both have beaten a 2xer. Carr too, beating Keegan, and also Shane. Starocci has beaten Mekhi among his 3 titles, so I think maybe he's my #1. So many factors. The debate can never end....

That said, I think we can all agree that you have to reallllly reach to find a metric to have Fix as 3rd on this list. That's just insane, and he's obviously a very good wrestler.
Yep . I usually try to break it down into things like strength , agility ie wrestling flexibility , speed . Etc. but my head spins really fast .

Pretty sure I always take into consider free style as well which I guess I shouldn’t.

I probably also confuse myself by thinking of who is the most dominant at there weight class .

I better stop before my head spins .

The good news now is it’s days not months countdown till Bethlehem .

I really really want Howard to be our 125, kid deserves it but am apprehensive.

Do you know if Ayala is available 1st half? Heard he might rest until January. Huge talent obviously. I said previously if not for injuries, I think we would be talking about him as the clear favorite right now.
Always liked Robbie Howard and his attitude I hope he's healthy and stays that way . Drake was in the practice video Tuesday looks like he's training

Howard
Nagao
Bartlett
Van Ness
Haines
Facundo or Mesenbrink
Starocci
Truax
Brooks
Kerk

Pletcher comes to mind.

I dunno, I thought I’d read that martin jumped levels every year too…

Pletcher comes to mind.

I dunno, I thought I’d read that martin jumped levels every year too…
Had thought of Pletcher, but he finished R12 up a weight as a FR, then 4th the next 2 years. IMO he was better, but not sure there was a jump as opposed to normal progression.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT