ADVERTISEMENT

2018-19 Sixers Thread

happy to provide links to good info on the Sixers.

I thought Pompey and Murph Man's articles about Simmons and Butler were interesting. Each broke down the respective situations from multiple angles.

That said, I do think in a lot of ways, the situation does boil down to whether the two players can be their best playing together. I think they can, though that's dependent on either Ben developing a jump shot, or giving up the PG role.

Horford is tempting, but I'd be surprised if he signed with the Sixers. I suspect he's going to want a max contract, and other teams are likely to be able to offer him more, and also have a more prominent role for him. With the Sixers, he'd either be a backup at the 5, or splitting time at the 4 (assuming the Sixers can re-sign Harris). The Mavericks or the Clippers seem to be the most likely landing spots for him.

Horford is 33. He wants a 4 year deal at ~$28 million a year. Hard pass.

Reactions: jrs1024
Things are oddly quiet. The only smoke seems to be growing reports of a sign and trade deal with Butler. For a team with every incentive to run back last year’s squad, it’s odd.

Sixers need to find a 3 point shooter now that JJ is gone. I really thought JJ would be back. Good locker room guy and leader plus he is intelligent. Defense wasn't the best. Sixers will miss JJ

JJ Redick 2 years $26.5m with the pelicans

Welp. That shoots a hole in the theory where the Sixers bring their team back.

That's a lot of $$ for a player that's pretty old by NBA standards, and can't defend. I was hoping the Sixers would bring him back, as he filled a nice role on the Sixers. With all the unknowns for the Sixers (I believe only 4 players are on a contract for next season), especially with Tobias Harris and Jimmy Butler, it would have been nice to be Redick back, but not at that rate. There are some shooters available as FAs and RFAs. Hopefully, the Sixers can land one of them, in addition to most of their core.

#RunItBack basically ends at the start of the free agency period.

That's a lot of $$ for a player that's pretty old by NBA standards, and can't defend. I was hoping the Sixers would bring him back, as he filled a nice role on the Sixers. With all the unknowns for the Sixers (I believe only 4 players are on a contract for next season), especially with Tobias Harris and Jimmy Butler, it would have been nice to be Redick back, but not at that rate. There are some shooters available as FAs and RFAs. Hopefully, the Sixers can land one of them, in addition to most of their core.

#RunItBack basically ends at the start of the free agency period.
Everyone points to JJ’s defense which if you watch is not bad in the team defense concepts. Those who really understand basketball knows how important he was to embiid and Simmons with his movement and spacing. JJ set tons of screens to open both up because teams had to respect the pick and pop, watch the struggle next year without him. Simmons can’t shoot and embiid thinks he is a 2

Everyone points to JJ’s defense which if you watch is not bad in the team defense concepts. Those who really understand basketball knows how important he was to embiid and Simmons with his movement and spacing. JJ set tons of screens to open both up because teams had to respect the pick and pop, watch the struggle next year without him. Simmons can’t shoot and embiid thinks he is a 2
I have to think they have a plan to offset his loss. It may not work as well, but I would not count on them just letting him walk with no replacement.

Along with Kyrie and DeAndre Jordan. 2019-2020 is a bit of a wash, but the Nets will be pretty good the following year.

Jordan isn’t that good. KD is getting older and just had a pretty serious injury that will require him to sit out all of next season. That’s just long enough for Kyrie to get the $hits of Brooklyn and his teammates. I’m predicting failure for this lineup.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT