ADVERTISEMENT

2021 B1G Tournament Session IV Thread

Exactly. Fans are the same everywhere.
Isn't it crazy how that works. And the reality was - and I watched both those matches a couple times - that Eierman was stalling. I mean how many shots did Eierman take? And even Eierman said in his post-match comments that he should have been better offensively in the match. And yes, RBY was playing cat and mouse and doing the Ali shuffle a bit, and sure he probably could have been called for stalling towards the end of the match, but he was just as active during the match as DeSanto. Like you said, fans are fans, no matter where you go. And you can hate the style, but why be hateful towards the kid who has busted his balls to get to that level? And also, it's up to the refs to make those calls, not the wrestler so why hate him. It'll be interesting to see Fix-RBY in the finals. Would love to see ADS make it but it's going to be tough. And if the whole hand injury isn't healed by then I think he's going to have a tough time making the podium. He barely beat the kid from Ill, who ADS beat 18-6 five weeks earlier. We (Iowa) need him to be competitive!! :)

Reactions: David Keller
Isn't it crazy how that works. And the reality was - and I watched both those matches a couple times - that Eierman was stalling. I mean how many shots did Eierman take? And even Eierman said in his post-match comments that he should have been better offensively in the match. And yes, RBY was playing cat and mouse and doing the Ali shuffle a bit, and sure he probably could have been called for stalling towards the end of the match, but he was just as active during the match as DeSanto. Like you said, fans are fans, no matter where you go. And you can hate the style, but why be hateful towards the kid who has busted his balls to get to that level? And also, it's up to the refs to make those calls, not the wrestler so why hate him. It'll be interesting to see Fix-RBY in the finals. Would love to see ADS make it but it's going to be tough. And if the whole hand injury isn't healed by then I think he's going to have a tough time making the podium. He barely beat the kid from Ill, who ADS beat 18-6 five weeks earlier. We (Iowa) need him to be competitive!! :)
If DeSanto's hand isn't right, Phillippi is a bad draw.

Phillippi is lanky, drops to knees to discourage shots, and works Russian ties hard -- on the right arm, which is DeSanto's injured hand. His hand fighting tends to be far out in front -- grabbing one hand and then working into the Russian. He's a very good counter wrestler (beat Fix on a re-attack). And if he gets on top, he's a leech.

If DeSanto's hand isn't right, Phillippi is a bad draw.

Phillippi is lanky, drops to knees to discourage shots, and works Russian ties hard -- on the right arm, which is DeSanto's injured hand. His hand fighting tends to be far out in front -- grabbing one hand and then working into the Russian. He's a very good counter wrestler (beat Fix on a re-attack). And if he gets on top, he's a leech.

Concur 100 percent. ADS is going to have a tough time if he's still having an issue come tourney time. And Iowa really needs those points as I think NCAAs will be a real dogfight.

Reactions: diggerpup
Thank you, my friend! It was a hard fought battle, and the reality is that many of the critical matches (those not involving S. Lee, RBY, Kem, Brooks and Steveson) could have gone either way. NCAAs should be a dogfight. Hopefully the committee will invite both our 49ers to the party so we have a full compliment just like Mizzou, who faced some pretty weak (at certain weights) competition at the MAC tourney to win auto bids. Mizzou in the MAC for wrestling is such a joke, and not exactly fair for the other schools...and not fair for the NCAA wrestling tourney when auto bids were handed out based on stats having nothing to do with this year's rankings. We'll see what gives when the seeds are handed out Wednesday. :)

Max is a lock for the at large. Beau from all reports basically has no shot. Max just ran into two hot hands who managed to launch him (which is surprising because Max is not a wrestler you can simply throw around).

The beauty of wrestling (whether it's happening for or against your guy) is an otherwise even match can be totally flipped in just a few seconds!

Reactions: danoftw
Max is a lock for the at large. Beau from all reports basically has no shot. Max just ran into two hot hands who managed to launch him (which is surprising because Max is not a wrestler you can simply throw around).

The beauty of wrestling (whether it's happening for or against your guy) is an otherwise even match can be totally flipped in just a few seconds!
The "Beau is out" talk, including from me, is about Crooks and Scott and Bartlett being a near toss-up for that coveted last spot based on the model used by the NCAA. No one has said yet it's an absolute fact that Beau won't get in. I'm still hopeful.

We'll see what happens, but can't lose sight of the process, even if Beau becomes an alternate. Alirez went 0-2 and was injured at Pac-12's, and Cobb didn't go at EIWA's. The Cobb story is moot if it was due to Covid protocol, leaving the Alirez story still a factor.

The "Beau is out" talk, including from me, is about Crooks and Scott and Bartlett being a near toss-up for that coveted last spot based on the model used by the NCAA. No one has said yet it's an absolute fact that Beau won't get in. I'm still hopeful.

We'll see what happens, but can't lose sight of the process, even if Beau becomes an alternate. Alirez went 0-2 and was injured at Pac-12's, and Cobb didn't go at EIWA's. The Cobb story is moot if it was due to Covid protocol, leaving the Alirez story still a factor.
Daddy needs a new pair of shoes!
giphy.gif

That is the beauty indeed, and unless you're a Lee, Steveson, Brook type of wrestler it can almost be impossible to come back, just as Murin found out. That's what we love about the B10s and NCAAs...anything can happen. In one of the weights this year, we could see another Mekhi Lewis surprise the field. I hope it doesn't happen to us (LOL), but there's certainly a decent chance it will happen, especially this year. I can potentially see Ferrari do it at 97 if the field isn't ready for him...

That is the beauty indeed, and unless you're a Lee, Steveson, Brook type of wrestler it can almost be impossible to come back, just as Murin found out. That's what we love about the B10s and NCAAs...anything can happen. In one of the weights this year, we could see another Mekhi Lewis surprise the field. I hope it doesn't happen to us (LOL), but there's certainly a decent chance it will happen, especially this year. I can potentially see Ferrari do it at 97 if the field isn't ready for him...

I think there is a Mekhi Lewis at 174.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Haha
Reactions: ClarencButthorn
The free year is going to present challenges to all the top programs, just a matter of the timing, for PSU it is probably 2 to 3 years away. I will say that all this talk of this guy or that guy coming back next year, for now is just talk. Somebody planning on coming back may be told "not so fast".

There will be plenty of interesting conversations that take place in late March through April that decide who stays. Coaches will have to balance scholarship money (no guarantee with the huge budget deficits that scholarship money stays the same), recruiting, getting young guys into the lineup. For example, a stud recruit who was expecting to start next year may now be blocked resulting in a possible transfer or yanking the established starter's scholarship money.

Then there is the fact that just about everybody is on a partial scholarship, which means that pay money to wrestle since they have to attend class. Some could say time to get on with my life and get a job or go to a RTC and get paid to wrestle.

There will also be games played to reduce the out of pocket costs and extend scholarship money. Be a TA, or not enroll for the fall semester to save cash.

Going to be very interesting.
Get ready for transfer portal overload

I mean, is Kemdogs transformation THAT impressive. Lots of doctoral candidates look different by the time they’re done.

I was a chubby 180 pounds as a senior., ran my keister off that summer and hit 165. by the time I was 24, I was 220 and solid and that happened without a Division 1 weight room, training table, nutritionist and coach. Cocaine Shane and the crew act like he's the first kid that gained 25 pounds after high school to his mid 20's.

Now that I'm over 50, I wish my knees could handle running and let me drop 30 and get down to 220 again.

Reactions: GogglesPaizano
I was a chubby 180 pounds as a senior., ran my keister off that summer and hit 165. by the time I was 24, I was 220 and solid and that happened without a Division 1 weight room, training table, nutritionist and coach. Cocaine Shane and the crew act like he's the first kid that gained 25 pounds after high school to his mid 20's.

Now that I'm over 50, I wish my knees could handle running and let me drop 30 and get down to 220 again.

Try biking. It's much easier on the knees and you can burn off weight really effectively. Plus it's fun and relaxing, especially if you do it with a group of people.

Concur 100 percent. ADS is going to have a tough time if he's still having an issue come tourney time. And Iowa really needs those points as I think NCAAs will be a real dogfight.

I have come to really like DeSanto. At first I figured him to be another Gilman however over time I can tell that's not fair. Thomas went out way to cause a stir while I think Austin truly goes into his matches with the goal of controlling his emotions and sometime he just can't. He took his loss to RBY like a man despite dealing with an injury that could of put him in a bad mindset.

I have come to really like DeSanto. At first I figured him to be another Gilman however over time I can tell that's not fair. Thomas went out way to cause a stir while I think Austin truly goes into his matches with the goal of controlling his emotions and sometime he just can't. He took his loss to RBY like a man despite dealing with an injury that could of put him in a bad mindset.

Funny you say that because I feel the same way. ADS sure looks like he is making every effort to hold himself to good behavior. I have become a big fan myself. I hate the idea of Iowa but they have so many guys I like individually I end up for them way too much. Sadly they really don't have a guy I don't like. I'm hoping they recruit a few real A holes soon.

Funny you say that because I feel the same way. ADS sure looks like he is making every effort to hold himself to good behavior. I have become a big fan myself. I hate the idea of Iowa but they have so many guys I like individually I end up for them way too much. Sadly they really don't have a guy I don't like. I'm hoping they recruit a few real A holes soon.
Nelson Brands strikes me as a prick. Seems to have a bit of high school bully in him. Maybe it’s just his face - that’s a face to typecast as “high school bully #1”

His semi final was just as impressive. The IL kid was trying to bait him into some stuff and AD just ignored it and was very cordial after the match was over. Credit to AD & the coaching staff. Hopefully it lasts.

Nelson Brands strikes me as a prick. Seems to have a bit of high school bully in him. Maybe it’s just his face - that’s a face to typecast as “high school bully #1”

That is funny. I know Nelson and like him. He was raised by a mad man, so some of the crazy is bound to come out once in awhile. The last time I saw Abe Assad he was wearing a mask and visiting a hawkeye fan who had just had a surgery for cancer, so I really don't want him in the starting role. I really wanted to dislike the bull, but he is so damn sweet when you see him signing stuff for little kids that killed my hope. It is an inside joke to many of my old buddies who want to hate Iowa. We miss Gilman. We miss Mike Evans. How am I supposed to hate Kaleb Young or Kemdog? The shame:(

Chickenman,
I know what you're saying about Nelson Brands, but you should come up with another descriptor besides "p#@!k". He is still a 20 year old kid. We would hate to see that kind of talk about any of our kids here or anywhere else. I know you didn't mean to be mean spirited about it, but it comes off that way.
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Chickenman,
I know what you're saying about Nelson Brands, but you should come up with another descriptor besides "p#@!k". He is still a 20 year old kid. We would hate to see that kind of talk about any of our kids here or anywhere else. I know you didn't mean to be mean spirited about it, but it comes off that way.
giphy.gif
IIRC he's older than Billy George was.

Also his biting was far less egregious than that knee lift.

But if somebody has to wear the black hat, he's the top contender.

After watching Grinch vs. Santa, I'm kind of into the idea of furry wrestling (as a spectator, only).

Reactions: danoftw

I concur. I think the coaches and his peers have done a good job of working with him on his temper and overall attitude. Just hope whatever the extent of the injury can be at least somewhat better by next week.

I think there is a Mekhi Lewis at 174.

giphy-downsized-large.gif
Yep, Alex certainly didn't get any favors from the committee with both Lewis and Griffith on his side of the bracket. He's got to really have his stuff together or this could be the third consecutive NCAA tourney where he significantly under-performs his seed. He seems really focused and has been superb with his defense, but sadly his offense has become almost non-existent. I think he's going to have to get 2 or 3 TDs in the matches against Lewis and Griffith. It's going to be a battle! :)

Yep, Alex certainly didn't get any favors from the committee with both Lewis and Griffith on his side of the bracket. He's got to really have his stuff together or this could be the third consecutive NCAA tourney where he significantly under-performs his seed. He seems really focused and has been superb with his defense, but sadly his offense has become almost non-existent. I think he's going to have to get 2 or 3 TDs in the matches against Lewis and Griffith. It's going to be a battle! :)

I think the Monstars that stole Bull's offense also got to Joe Lee. Unfortunately Joe Lee doesn't have stout defense to compensate!

I kid I kid.

I never met a halkeyes I didn't like to root against just saying

Austin has vastly improved his disposition and behavior on the mat since going to Iowa. I have said it before.....his coaches have done a great job with him. I think AD and the coaches should all be proud in that regard. As far as his wrestling.....he has clearly gotten better getting out from bottom. Again....props to AD and the coaches. People bust on Terry but he spends more time with AD from all I have read. Who better to relate to AD? Terry knows exactly what AD is feeling. Just because he doesn't always control it himself....doesn't mean he can't teach AD how to avoid the "Triggers" and how to better deal with them. It has shown in several matches.....including Byrd's ....who was clearly trying to trigger him. Props to AD and Terry and Tom. OK.....enough Iowa love.......I am off to shower :)

I chalk it up to Austin maturing and maybe some professional counseling more than anything Terry Brands has done. Seriously, Terry acts like a petulant child that can't control his emotions as a 50 year old man, if anything he was a hinderance, especially early on at Iowa when Austin's behavior was no better and people where holding their breath as to what he might do.

Austin has vastly improved his disposition and behavior on the mat since going to Iowa. I have said it before.....his coaches have done a great job with him. I think AD and the coaches should all be proud in that regard. As far as his wrestling.....he has clearly gotten better getting out from bottom. Again....props to AD and the coaches. People bust on Terry but he spends more time with AD from all I have read. Who better to relate to AD? Terry knows exactly what AD is feeling. Just because he doesn't always control it himself....doesn't mean he can't teach AD how to avoid the "Triggers" and how to better deal with them. It has shown in several matches.....including Byrd's ....who was clearly trying to trigger him. Props to AD and Terry and Tom. OK.....enough Iowa love.......I am off to shower :)

All the recent chatter re TnT and 'You don't like tough wrestling'.
With ADS, noticed a couple times over the past couple yrs [since the 'crying' incident'] when ADS seems to start 'fidgeting' about something uncomfortable, like the RBY match & Byrd recently. The corner just tells him 'keep wrestling'/focus', etc. It's like they can now tamper the fire.
He might be close to ceiling, we'll see if there's another level to be found.

I imagine the Drexel staff started off trying the same type things, but maybe didn't hold the juice to ADS?? He may have found the ultimate situation with this current Iowa roster. Not just the presence of TnT but SLee & the other good solid kids [middle-aged men :cool: ] on the current roster. A lot of PA presence helps. Perfect storm.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT