ADVERTISEMENT

2021 B1G Tournament Session IV Thread

It's funny.

Session 1 we got off to a slow start ... several Hawk fans came over to gloat.

Session II we made a nice run and closed the gap ... Hawk fans were nowhere to be seen or heard.

Session IV Iowa clinches the title ... Hawk fans are crawling on our board like ants on a jelly roll.

Last edited:
It's funny.

Session II we made a nice run and closed the gap ... Hawk fans were nowhere to be seen or heard.

Session IV Iowa clinches the title ... Hawk fans are on our board like ants on a jelly roll.

Many Iowa fans are like cicadas. They only come around here to gloat every 17 years or so, but when they do they’re a pain in the ass.

Many Iowa fans are like cicadas. They only come around here to gloat every 17 years or so, but when they do they’re a pain in the ass.
It's a sign of insecurity.

When winning the title isn't enough, then it's not about winning the title in the first place.

Have a question about Beard. Having not known anything about him prior to last year, I believe I had read a lot of people saying he was a “hammer” on top. I love nothing more than watching a Zain style wrestler turn people mercilessly and don’t expect Beard to be that, but I haven’t seen anything from him in that regard. Can anyone speculate on what’s happened there?

I think from what I’ve seen this year he has a lot of tools and is very close to being great from neutral but curious where his top game went. Can’t wait to see him the next 4 years and think he will be great with some more experience.

Reactions: JimNazium
I really wasn't trying to start anything. Just a little friendly ribbing. I'm not going to defend the past several years of frustrated hawkeye fans.

Looking forward to NCAA's. Should be wild. This is has to be the least predictable tournament we'll ever have right?
I would say so... goes with the least predictable season!... Don't jinx the NCAAs

Reactions: dsites52
Have a question about Beard. Having not known anything about him prior to last year, I believe I had read a lot of people saying he was a “hammer” on top. I love nothing more than watching a Zain style wrestler turn people mercilessly and don’t expect Beard to be that, but I haven’t seen anything from him in that regard. Can anyone speculate on what’s happened there?

I think from what I’ve seen this year he has a lot of tools and is very close to being great from neutral but curious where his top game went. Can’t wait to see him the next 4 years and think he will be great with some more experience.
He was never a pinner like Zain -- he was a tilter who could ring up swipes in bunches.

He's like nearly every HS wrestler who finds it harder to keep college wrestlers broken down. The progression is almost always: learn to ride, then learn to score. It often takes more than 1 year as the starter.

His finish against Hoffman was encouraging. Obviously that didn't come from top position. But he didn't instinctively reach back for Hoffman's foot -- he's been working on the bow and arrow in practice.

It's funny.

Session IV Iowa clinches the title ... Hawk fans are crawling on our board like ants on a jelly roll.
I just want to say I was not here after Session 2 because I had a prior commitment, not because I was unwilling to eat crow.

Reactions: Cowbell Man
I guess Iowans can now cheer for their pro teams. Whoops! They won the B1G with Pa. natives & transfer-ins. If you count all the Hawks nat'l titles outside of the grapplers I don't even think it's 5. It's there only hope for the top shelf. It's there only hope! If I have one thing to say to them, it's I hope your farmers rebound from that devastating derecho.

• Haha
Reactions: ClarencButthorn
I guess Iowans can now cheer for their pro teams. Whoops! They won the B1G with Pa. natives & transfer-ins. If you count all the Hawks nat'l titles outside of the grapplers I don't even think it's 5. It's there only hope for the top shelf. It's there only hope!
I think the Iowa wrestling fans are just fine with being top shelf in wrestling. 😀

giphy-downsized-large.gif

31 “‘My son,’ the father said, ‘you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. 32 But we had to celebrate and be glad, ........and as for a hawk, he ain't so bad.

Relax 82, we all here think you're the #1 seed.

Reactions: 82bordeaux
I would say so... goes with the least predictable season!... Don't jinx the NCAAs
If the future is now your very happy to be an Iowa fan.

If the future is the next 4 years your happy to be a PSU fan.

If your future is not now or the next four years you are everyone else.

Also imagine for a moment being the annual recruiting champs and yet only placing 9th in your conference.....
Not even being funny, osu’s finish is surprising. Maybe Tom wrestled them too much this year?

Maybe, but I don't think the experience gap can be overstated.

At the start of the season the Hawkeye starting line-up averaged 62 varsity matches per wrestler. The PSU starting line-up had an average of 19 varsity matches. 6 of our wrestlers were in their 1st post season action this weekend. 8 of Iowa's wrestlers were competing in their 3th or 4th post season.

Iowa has a very good team. I'm not trying to diminish what they accomplished this weekend, but there is no denying that age/experience is a major factor this year ... there is no way to spin it any other way.
Experience and basic “man strength”. How many times did ESPN show the pictures of Kemerer his first year and this year? Saying a team benefits from age and experience is not diminishing their accomplishments.

Last edited:
This "free" year is going to make for some interesting decisions for many wrestlers for the next few years. Not all will choose an extra year of college wrestling over moving on to the next phase of their lives. Several of Iowa's wrestlers will make that choice for next year. Penn State wrestlers will need to make the same choice down the line.

The "free" year for current wrestlers also will have a big impact on recruiting and scholarship availability. It presents some interesting decision making for the coaches.

I guess Iowans can now cheer for their pro teams. Whoops! They won the B1G with Pa. natives & transfer-ins. If you count all the Hawks nat'l titles outside of the grapplers I don't even think it's 5. It's there only hope for the top shelf. It's there only hope! If I have one thing to say to them, it's I hope your farmers rebound from that devastating derecho.

Dude, just stop. This kind of stupid crap is what poisons boards like HR. Don’t bring that trash over here. We are better than that.

I didn't think I could be more impressed with Aaron Brooks but he turned up the dial to 11 this weekend! My heart sank when he came up hobbling in the Hannibal Brands match. Any one of us would likely be sidelined and on crutches with that injury. But AB just willed himself to the win and then came back out for a double encore to make winning a Big Ten title look easy.

And that match with Venz!! Jeez Louise. Venz is a streaky, strong, dangerous wrestler who has been on a tear for the past few weeks. But AB made him look like, well, the rest of the field. Feeling blessed to have Aaron represent PSU on and off the mat.

I didn't think I could be more impressed with Aaron Brooks but he turned up the dial to 11 this weekend! My heart sank when he came up hobbling in the Hannibal Brands match. Any one of us would likely be sidelined and on crutches with that injury. But AB just willed himself to the win and then came back out for a double encore to make winning a Big Ten title look easy.

And that match with Venz!! Jeez Louise. Venz is a streaky, strong, dangerous wrestler who has been on a tear for the past few weeks. But AB made him look like, well, the rest of the field. Feeling blessed to have Aaron represent PSU on and off the mat.
I agree. Every story/situation is different, but shades of Molinaro or Nolf! Nearly all wrestlers have nuisance injuries at this time of the year, Aaron's, at the time, looked like it could have been bad.

As far as the Venz match, Aaron wrestled a very tactical/strategic match, he wrestled smart. Venz is a dangerous wrestler; a big move guy, and a pinner. Aaron kept great position, never really in trouble, even with a bandaged ankle.

Actually Roar had me thinking about this as I was watching the Big10s and reading the February 2021 Penn State Wrestling Club edition.

I can not remember being at the NCAAs or Big10s and not stopping to look up the PSWC tournament brackets to gather information I was missing. Using it to catch up on team scores, finding out who advanced or dropped and most importantly for me, what teams were still in contention for the title. What a great web site the club provides. As Roar wrote in that addition, the Niebel family deserves all the credit.

I thank the Niebels and any other supporting cast making the program the best in the Country.

I could be mistaken - but who won last year? Who's going to win again next year? Those 17 years sure did fly by!

And by the way, PSU fans find their way to HR just as often. It's just they don't have an awful lot to gloat about this weekend.

This "free" year is going to make for some interesting decisions for many wrestlers for the next few years. Not all will choose an extra year of college wrestling over moving on to the next phase of their lives. Several of Iowa's wrestlers will make that choice for next year. Penn State wrestlers will need to make the same choice down the line.

The "free" year for current wrestlers also will have a big impact on recruiting and scholarship availability. It presents some interesting decision making for the coaches.
With $ management issues the free year will cause, and the “presence” of the portal, I wonder if the number of good free agents will see a one time blip.

Reactions: diggerpup
With $ management issues the free year will cause, and the “presence” of the portal, I wonder if the number of good free agents will see a one time blip.
Also the extended dead period for recruiting. I bet more than 1 freshman will decide his decision was hasty.

Sore loser is not a nice look.
They have a terrific lineup, and ours is very good with a lot of improvement ahead.

Cassar was a 5th year Senior and just turned 23 when he won his title in 2019. If Iowa returns everyone from this years team, they’d have two 7th year “Seniors”(Kemerer and Eierman), two 6th year Seniors(Young and Marinelli) and four 5th Year Seniors(Lee, Murin, Warner and Desanto). 😳
And you guys will be able to do the same thing in a couple years. It's not cheating for the hawks to use their available eligibility. The only difference is the timing.

I could be mistaken - but who won last year? Who's going to win again next year? Those 17 years sure did fly by!

And by the way, PSU fans find their way to HR just as often. It's just they don't have an awful lot to gloat about this weekend.
No one won last year - you get what you earn.

That said if we had a season last year, you guys would have rolled unless some calamity happened, then been favorites this year, but your mass graduations would have then happened this year without the free year.

All those PA kids in the finals from other teams. My family was asking why. Spencer was a unique case, but with most of these kids, we had $$ tied up with Nolf, Nickal, Hall, Rutherford, etc. Trade? No way!

Congrats to the Hawks! They wrestled very, very well. They will score a lot of points this year at Nationals. While we were crushing it, Brands said, they had to get better and they did. We have to get better, and we will. At least I hope there is a plan..........;)

Nobody won last year we are still the defending champions. Of course you can claim a title that you didn't earn if you want but I'm sure no respect comes with that kind of title.

• Haha
And you guys will be able to do the same thing in a couple years. It's not cheating for the hawks to use their available eligibility. The only difference is the timing.
The free year is going to present challenges to all the top programs, just a matter of the timing, for PSU it is probably 2 to 3 years away. I will say that all this talk of this guy or that guy coming back next year, for now is just talk. Somebody planning on coming back may be told "not so fast".

There will be plenty of interesting conversations that take place in late March through April that decide who stays. Coaches will have to balance scholarship money (no guarantee with the huge budget deficits that scholarship money stays the same), recruiting, getting young guys into the lineup. For example, a stud recruit who was expecting to start next year may now be blocked resulting in a possible transfer or yanking the established starter's scholarship money.

Then there is the fact that just about everybody is on a partial scholarship, which means that pay money to wrestle since they have to attend class. Some could say time to get on with my life and get a job or go to a RTC and get paid to wrestle.

There will also be games played to reduce the out of pocket costs and extend scholarship money. Be a TA, or not enroll for the fall semester to save cash.

Going to be very interesting.

Reactions: diggerpup
31 “‘My son,’ the father said, ‘you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. 32 But we had to celebrate and be glad, ........and as for a hawk, he ain't so bad.

Relax 82, we all here think you're the #1 seed.
A Prodigal Son reference in a wrestling thread? Who woulda' thunk it? 😎 If this keeps up maybe I can count my time reading these threads as part of my Bible reading time!

Congrats to Iowa and @jmadden1998 , @Nashville_Hawkeye and @WildTurk. Well done.

Thank you, my friend! It was a hard fought battle, and the reality is that many of the critical matches (those not involving S. Lee, RBY, Kem, Brooks and Steveson) could have gone either way. NCAAs should be a dogfight. Hopefully the committee will invite both our 49ers to the party so we have a full compliment just like Mizzou, who faced some pretty weak (at certain weights) competition at the MAC tourney to win auto bids. Mizzou in the MAC for wrestling is such a joke, and not exactly fair for the other schools...and not fair for the NCAA wrestling tourney when auto bids were handed out based on stats having nothing to do with this year's rankings. We'll see what gives when the seeds are handed out Wednesday. :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT