ADVERTISEMENT

2024-25 PSU Lineup (The Dynasty Continues)

Unsolicited old guy tip. Instead of the anger, JFC’s, SMFH’s, and strange need to call Goggles stupid over a mildly differing opinion, accept that, like everyone else, you can be wrong (though I like Barr at 97, too). Leave absolute pronouncements to Ironbird.
Take the last jab. I ain’t sparring . . . just cuttin’ more damn grass! ;)
I'm an old guy myself and agree with the tip. But as an old guy, I reserve the right to be cranky. @GogglesPaizano has a thick skin I'm sure he can handle it.

I haven't seen much discussion of svn vs kasak. What if Kasak wants to stay at 149? Who wins the wrestle-off or does Cael step in at this point? After watching the true-freshman reel off seven straight wins on the backside at nationals I'm not going to bet against him. Brands may, but I won't. 😀
Probably because Kasak > 149 is a widely foregone conclusion.

I'm an old guy myself and agree with the tip. But as an old guy, I reserve the right to be cranky. @GogglesPaizano has a thick skin I'm sure he can handle it.

kTMxcF.gif

Agreed. And many rings around the tree ain’t so bad when you got Lions to root for. “Right to be cranky” oughtta be constitutional. Hell, old guys wrote the damn thing. Could’ve easily slid that one in.
As for our Paizano, you know what they say about thick skin . . . thicker goggles! ;)
Back on thread topic, how cool would it be if whatever youngbloods man our 57 and 97 slots upset the #1 Hawk mercs?! And if it doesn’t happen till late March, all the better.

Agreed. And many rings around the tree ain’t so bad when you got Lions to root for. “Right to be cranky” oughtta be constitutional. Hell, old guys wrote the damn thing. Could’ve easily slid that one in.
As for our Paizano, you know what they say about thick skin . . . thicker goggles! ;)
Back on thread topic, how cool would it be if whatever youngbloods man our 57 and 97 slots upset the #1 Hawk mercs?! And if it doesn’t happen till late March, all the better.
That's factually incorrect. A few were old, but most were much younger than we associate.

Here were their ages in 1776. The Constitution was signed 11 years later.

Yep, I was also going to correct the "old guys wrote the Constitution quote", not that it really matters or has anything to do with wrestling. ;)

That's factually incorrect. A few were old, but most were much younger than we associate.

Here were their ages in 1776. The Constitution was signed 11 years later.
I guess the powdered wigs add a few years

Reactions: Chris Watts
This might be the least shocking news to anyone but from someone who knows him, Braeden Davis has 0 intention to redshirt next season, just like he had 0 intention of redshirting last year (even before he stepped on campus) especially after the way his season ended.

Put in an amazing summer (duh) and is way more comfortable up a weight (125 was a HARD cut last year) in addition to the natural year 1 to 2 progressions in the room. He obviously needs to control his emotions a little better (channel it into Carter's confidence) but nothing will ever rattle his confidence. Him and LL are going to be tremendous partners this year as I think their styles compliment each other so perfectly.

EDIT: It seems people are writing him off as one of our big potential scorers and forgot he is ... the Big Ten champ at 125 that thanks to volatility of a weight, drew the best 125 in the quarters as a 1 seed. His L to Volk is 100% a first time feel thing as well. This was a kid people were unsure when he would ever break into our lineup and ended up going as a true freshman and doing as well as he did. For how good some of our all time greats were, all had the luxury of a redshirt or a year of RTC/NLWC training (Levi, AB) to kick things off.

This. I love the Davis doesn't want to shirt. And TBH, I think he beats out Nagao.

Davis really looked like he ran out of gas sucking weight late in the season. To me, he's a tossup with nagao and a wash points-wise. 133 is a tougher weight class and he'll have to be much improved to make AA. Can he? Yes. Will he? Idk.

Davis really looked like he ran out of gas sucking weight late in the season. To me, he's a tossup with nagao and a wash points-wise. 133 is a tougher weight class and he'll have to be much improved to make AA. Can he? Yes. Will he? Idk.
If Davis can focus his energy on wrestling and working through his progressions, then he has an exciting future at 133.

Reactions: District four
Davis obviously won't ever be an offensive dynamo but he's so tactical and rooted in fundamentals, I like his shot vs Nagao in a wrestleoff, especially if Nagao isn't 100%. My guess is similar to Levi, he'll start the year in redshirt while getting matches at opens while Cael evaluates if he likes Facundo and Aaron's March potential, might be tricky since the bulk of the competition is in the Spring but Cael has his ways. Maybe they'll find their ways to more open tournaments?

This. I love the Davis doesn't want to shirt. And TBH, I think he beats out Nagao.

Nagao still has a few things to figure out especially with his neutral defense, and at times a bit of a lack of positional or 'advantagional' (is that a word?) awareness in some scramble situations.

That said I don't know if it was ever publicized as to his injury/illness/ailment that affected him from last summer onward. At one time it was serious enough to have put his year in jeopardy. Did we ever see the full potential AG last year? I don't think so.

On the other hand if we see a full sized, now veteran Braeden Davis, what is his ceiling?

On balance I think both can be high AA without stretching the imagination too far. As for who starts? I lean BD if he is a full go this season.

Reactions: Hawktu
Davis redshirting makes the most sense of any of the non freshmen redshirting decisions.

1. You have a proven guy at 133 in Nagao.
2. We clearly don’t need the additional points.
3. For as good as Davis’ first year was, he looks so young. I think he would benefit the most from redshirting compared to (Kasak and Levi). A year of bulking up and working on his wrestling could do wonders.

Davis redshirting makes the most sense of any of the non freshmen redshirting decisions.

1. You have a proven guy at 133 in Nagao.
2. We clearly don’t need the additional points.
3. For as good as Davis’ first year was, he looks so young. I think he would benefit the most from redshirting compared to (Kasak and Levi). A year of bulking up and working on his wrestling could do wonders.
True -- for this year. But that just kicks the can down the road.

Next year we'll have 4 guys (Lilledahl, Desmond, Davis, Nagao) for 2 spots, unless one of them (Nagao?) can go up to 141. If one goes up and Lilledahl shirts in 2026, then that kicks the can for one more year. Will still have 3 guys for 2 weights in 2027.

If you truly believe they are equivalent placers, then Nagao is the starter. He brings significantly higher bonus potential.
Not really. Nageo had a 54% bonus rate last year as a RSSO. Davis was at 38% as a TRFR. Most AA level true freshmen jump in bonus their second year. I’d call this a tie at worst. JMO

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel

Next year we'll have 4 guys (Lilledahl, Desmond, Davis, Nagao) for 2 spots, unless one of them (Nagao?) can go up to 141. If one goes up and Lilledahl shirts in 2026, then that kicks the can for one more year. Will still have 3 guys for 2 weights in 2027.
I can only think of one path here. Fire Cael for putting us in this horrible position of deciding among riches.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
I believe Nagao hurt his knee in the summer and there were fears he’d be out. Then I believe he got sick… in late January and lost time so he was never right last year.

Not really. Nageo had a 54% bonus rate last year as a RSSO. Davis was at 38% as a TRFR. Most AA level true freshmen jump in bonus their second year. I’d call this a tie at worst. JMO
Nagao's bonus rate was 20 pts higher than Davis' despite his Win % being 10 pts lower.

If they're equivalent placers, then they'll have equivalent Win % at NCAAs -- and therefore Nagao's higher bonus rate will become even more pronounced.

Of course, this entire discussion hinges upon them being equivalent placers, which is a rarity.

Last edited:
Man do we have first world problems ... or should I say way out in first world problems. I'm happy with whomever we put on the mat as we will dominate. In terms of the lineup, the boys will sort it out in the room. And I wouldn't sleep on Braedon taking whatever he wants. I'm expecting a big improvement from him this year.

I believe Nagao hurt his knee in the summer and there were fears he’d be out. Then I believe he got sick… in late January and lost time so he was never right last year.
It was his elbow and the initial reaction to the perceived severity was he left Lorenzo in an ambulance. It happened the morning of the NLWC golf outing.

I feel like lots of people are writing off Nagao after a not great year. I expect a much better version of him after another year in the PSU room. I think him and Davis is a conversation but I come out on the side of Nagao winning
I don't know who wins that wrestle off, but great post. Both of those kids will be significantly better than they were last year and I agree many seem to have mistakenly dismissed Nagao.

Nagao seemed to have significant flaws in his neutral offense that were not injury related. Call me crazy, but if they had a true wrestle off, my money would be on Davis.
Yeah. Shirting Davis makes more sense from a strategy POV, but if the rumors are true it seems Davis has other plans. If he is motivated to go this year, I think he is likely to jump a level even at a new weight. Aaron will have his hands full. Too full IMO.

I feel like lots of people are writing off Nagao after a not great year. I expect a much better version of him after another year in the PSU room. I think him and Davis is a conversation but I come out on the side of Nagao winning
Agreed. We're just 1 year away from a healthy Nagao finishing 5th as a Goofer with close losses at NCAAs to RBY and Fix. He beat Mendez at both B10s and NCAAs.

I'm not sure he beats Davis -- Davis is much more fundamental on feet. But writing Nagao off seems premature. If healthy.

The new lightweight U has a nice stable with Lightning Luke, Davis, Nagao, and Bartlett.

I don’t think it’s “writing off” Nagao to look at the talent and upside of Davis and see a higher ceiling than Nagao. Also, the 3 point TD has, even if slightly, dented a strength of Nagao, riding time. If Davis really wants to go this year, I think we all know that Cael will be fair about a wrestle off and then we’ll see what happens. We also all know that no one is guaranteed a starting spot in this program, which is as it should be.

At some point in the next 3-4 years, we're going to have like 15 AA caliber wrestlers to fit in 10 spots. LOL.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT