ADVERTISEMENT

2024-25 PSU Lineup (The Dynasty Continues)

I don’t think a 4xer has ever gotten to pick his weight for a run to a 5th NCAA title.
Season 2 Sptv GIF by Alex Rider TV

One truth, we could have a whole set of poll questions this year.

What are the odds of...

Anyone's saying they know the lineup, and being both honest and accurate? 0%

Lilledahl starts vs shirts? 80/20
Davis starts vs shirts? 40/60
Davis beats Nagao for 133? 50/50
Kasak & SVN competing for 149 and the loser has to move up? 20/80
Levi starts vs shirts? 40/60
Facundo starts at 165? 40
Facundo portals next window? 50/50
Levi goes 165 vs 174? 80/30
MM goes 165 vs 174? 20/80
Carter goes 174 vs 184 vs 197? 0/40/60
Barr goes 185 vs 197? 60/40
Cochran starts at 197? 10
Marisola starts at 197? 0

Oddly enough, it doesn't solve all of the problems up top, but Levi shirting sure does help for just one year.

Whoa whoa whoa guys.

Arnold beats Kennedy. Always has. He didn’t go last year because of the gambling (bumped to 184), got hurt, then mom was sick.

Typically, Tom is LOATHE to take TFR out of redshirt. Spencer basically had to beg him.

I’ve heard facundo/haines at 174, with the coaches wanting Haines to RS, but he doesn’t necessarily want to. Facundo is doing really well, and the coaches love him, but it’s not charity - he’s beating Nico in the room right now!

I don’t think facundo is a good folkstyler and I think Haines ends up being the guy at big tens.

All that to say, I would favor Arnold over facundo in the dual.

Oh. And brands is going 184.

Is the general consensus that Carter doesn't look like a 197? His recent picture with Hutcheson I believe didn't convince my rotting eyes that he was a 97.

Facundo seems to think he's going :).

I hope Barr doesn't go 197, he'll be undersized this year then will have to deal with going back down for the next three. Not optimal by any means. I think an undersized Carter at 197 makes much more sense, however, I agree the last pictures of Carter I saw didn't smack of a future 197er.
JFC, give me a break.

Half the AAs at 197 this past decade have been "undersized." We've had two NCs that were smaller than Barr is likely to be. There is no such thing as an "undersized" 97 unless he's a 65.

JFC, give me a break.

Half the AAs at 197 this past decade have been "undersized." We've had two NCs that were smaller than Barr is likely to be. There is no such thing as an "undersized" 97 unless he's a 65.
Such as, for example: 190-lb Bo Nickal.

Plus, 197 is far weaker than 184 this year. If Carter goes, he'll curb stomp that weight. If Barr goes, he'll have less of a bump-up challenge than in some other years.

JFC, give me a break.

Ok give me a break.

He will still have to beat Cochran, but 2x Bo was not that much undersized and the most relevant point being Barr still has to go back down for 25/26 to make room for Marisola.

Do I think Barr can beat the very best 197s if he is somewhere around 190 walking around weight, maybe not? Carter the same, probably so yes.

Most 197s are 205+, if Barr can get anywhere close to 200 lbs for the season then getting back to 184 is a problem.

Carter to 195 undersized seems to be a no brainer actually.

Ok give me a break.

Do I think Barr can beat the very best 197s if he is somewhere around 190 walking around weight, maybe not? Carter the same, probably so yes.

Most 197s are 205+, if Barr can get anywhere close to 200 lbs for the season then getting back to 184 is a problem.
If you think Barr can beat the very best 184s, than you should think he can beat the very best 197s whether he gains one friggin pound or not. Just SMFH if you think otherwise.

The bold above is what I would expect to hear from the first-time wrestling dad of an eleven-year old. Maybe that's why I'm shaking my head.

Sorry for acting arrogant but just hearing these stupid things over and over and over again just drives me crazy. Once or twice, ok. But with you the drivel is incessant.

Josh is walking around at 204/205.
I was going to post that I wasn't sure what he weighed and I didn't ask. Standing talking to him though, he is taller than I am and weighs a whole lot more than Levi and Levi is north of 180. If Barr is the 197 pounder he isn't going to be very undersized.

Reactions: 82bordeaux
When do you think we will find out the
Weights were Levi, messenbrink and c star are competing ?

it seems only 141 (Bb) and hwt (Kerk) are set

125 LL or redshirt
133 Nagao or Davis
149 SVN or kasak
157 SVN or Kasak
165-174 Messenbrink or Levi
184-197 (where is cstar going, other open)

When do you think we will find out the
Weights were Levi, messenbrink and c star are competing ?

it seems only 141 (Bb) and hwt (Kerk) are set

125 LL or redshirt
133 Nagao or Davis
149 SVN or kasak
157 SVN or Kasak
165-174 Messenbrink or Levi
184-197 (where is cstar going, other open)
Kasak is never seeing 149 again

One truth, we could have a whole set of poll questions this year.

What are the odds of...

Anyone's saying they know the lineup, and being both honest and accurate? 0%

Lilledahl starts vs shirts? 80/20
Davis starts vs shirts? 40/60
Davis beats Nagao for 133? 50/50
Kasak & SVN competing for 149 and the loser has to move up? 20/80
Levi starts vs shirts? 40/60
Facundo starts at 165? 40
Facundo portals next window? 50/50
Levi goes 165 vs 174? 80/30
MM goes 165 vs 174? 20/80
Carter goes 174 vs 184 vs 197? 0/40/60
Barr goes 185 vs 197? 60/40
Cochran starts at 197? 10
Marisola starts at 197? 0

Oddly enough, it doesn't solve all of the problems up top, but Levi shirting sure does help for just one year.
LOLL every other school wishes they had our problems!

Reactions: GogglesPaizano
As great as PSU is you'd think they wouldn't have to be so secretive. No other team could make any adjustments that would even get them in the conversation to challenge for a title.

So, something like this?

125: Lilledahl
133: Davis or Nagao
141: Bartlett
149: Van Ness
157: Kasak
165: Haines or Mesenbrink
174: Mesenbrink or Haines
184: Starocci
197: Barr or Cochran or Mirasola
HVY: Kerk
This is what I expect.

With Iowa getting those transfers, I think Cael lost some redshirt flexibility and will put the best team on the mat this season.

That means Lilly at 125 as a true freshman and Haines will go this year as well.

Iowa won't touch that team if they stay healthy.

Is there any possibility of Messenbrink going 157, Levi 165, Fucundo 174 and Carter 184? I only ask because Messenbrink was asked last year about this and he smiled and said something to the affect of “I’ll do whatever the team wants/needs). Having a hard time recalling the source of the interview. Anyone recall this? This would out Kasak into redshirt and probably gives us our best lineup. If Carter goes 197 and Barr 184 then it allows Mirasola to redshirt. That maximizes eligibility. At some point someone is sitting or transferring unfortunately.

Reactions: Hawktu
As great as PSU is you'd think they wouldn't have to be so secretive. No other team could make any adjustments that would even get them in the conversation to challenge for a title.
is it secretive or 1) no one's business or 2) the easy way out? I say both but as for the latter... the way people take any comment or information and rip it a part makes it an easy choice.

Is there any possibility of Messenbrink going 157, Levi 165, Fucundo 174 and Carter 184? I only ask because Messenbrink was asked last year about this and he smiled and said something to the affect of “I’ll do whatever the team wants/needs). Having a hard time recalling the source of the interview. Anyone recall this? This would out Kasak into redshirt and probably gives us our best lineup. If Carter goes 197 and Barr 184 then it allows Mirasola to redshirt. That maximizes eligibility. At some point someone is sitting or transferring unfortunately.
The good part about the team we have now and coming in is that quite a few will be eligible for an Olympic redshirt in 27-28. That will ease things a tad but the next two years will be tight.

Shayne has 3 years left. No shirt.
Kasak has 3 years left plus a shirt
Haines has 2 years left plus a shirt
Facundo has 3 years left. No shirt.
Barr has 4 years left. No shirt.
Mesenbrink has 3 years left. No shirt.

149 Van Ness
157 Kasak
165 Mesenbrink
174 Haines
184 Carter
197 Barr

149 Duke
157 Van Ness
165 Mesenbrink
174 Haines
184 Barr
197 Mirasola

149 Duke
157 Van Ness
165 Kasak
174 Mesenbrink
184 Barr
197 Mirasola

I feel like Facundo is odd man out here. A chance we could get him in this year at 174 but he would have to be a solid point scorer at nationals with what Iowa is putting out there. I know we have Zack Ryder, eventually Asher, and Sealey and others as well, so I'm sure my list isn't perfect.

27-28 could be a lean year with so many possibly taking an Olympic shirt.

If Messenbrink stays healthy he's going to be incredibly fun to watch...
As he matures with strength, technique, and that pace he's going to be a destroyer of worlds.

Reactions: vhsalum
I haven't seen much discussion of svn vs kasak. What if Kasak wants to stay at 149? Who wins the wrestle-off or does Cael step in at this point? After watching the true-freshman reel off seven straight wins on the backside at nationals I'm not going to bet against him. Brands may, but I won't. 😀

Messenbrink has no prayer of making 157.

Sorry for acting arrogant but just hearing these stupid things over and over and over again just drives me crazy. Once or twice, ok. But with you the drivel is incessant.
Unsolicited old guy tip. Instead of the anger, JFC’s, SMFH’s, and strange need to call Goggles stupid over a mildly differing opinion, accept that, like everyone else, you can be wrong (though I like Barr at 97, too). Leave absolute pronouncements to Ironbird.
Take the last jab. I ain’t sparring . . . just cuttin’ more damn grass! ;)

This is what I expect.

With Iowa getting those transfers, I think Cael lost some redshirt flexibility and will put the best team on the mat this season.

That means Lilly at 125 as a true freshman and Haines will go this year as well.

Iowa won't touch that team if they stay healthy.
Let's hope so.

This might be the least shocking news to anyone but from someone who knows him, Braeden Davis has 0 intention to redshirt next season, just like he had 0 intention of redshirting last year (even before he stepped on campus) especially after the way his season ended.

Put in an amazing summer (duh) and is way more comfortable up a weight (125 was a HARD cut last year) in addition to the natural year 1 to 2 progressions in the room. He obviously needs to control his emotions a little better (channel it into Carter's confidence) but nothing will ever rattle his confidence. Him and LL are going to be tremendous partners this year as I think their styles compliment each other so perfectly.

EDIT: It seems people are writing him off as one of our big potential scorers and forgot he is ... the Big Ten champ at 125 that thanks to volatility of a weight, drew the best 125 in the quarters as a 1 seed. His L to Volk is 100% a first time feel thing as well. This was a kid people were unsure when he would ever break into our lineup and ended up going as a true freshman and doing as well as he did. For how good some of our all time greats were, all had the luxury of a redshirt or a year of RTC/NLWC training (Levi, AB) to kick things off.

Last edited:
Messenbrink has no prayer of making 157.
I think he can but it would be idiotic.

Mesenbrink is a guy you don't get cute with his weight, whatever weight he feels most comfortable with, let him go and just wreck the field. Askren has said before, Mitch really does not like cutting. Could he do it? Sure but he's done so well without ever doing it that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Everyone assumes making a cut the right way gives an advantage (and it can) but the key priority is just a good mental state, who knows what that would do to Mitch's psyche and energy levels.

For Mitch, he said his insane level jump in HS came from his own love of the sport growing his senior year of HS (don't forget he went from DNPing at Fargo his junior year at 152 to winning world silver at 70, after beating Levi to make the team before somehow making yet another jump)

As Cael has always done, the alpha dogs eat first with their weight choices. As some have said, if Levi is better at 165 then Mitch is more likely to go 174 if anything.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT