ADVERTISEMENT

2024-25 PSU Lineup (The Dynasty Continues)

25: Mesenbrink
26: Mesenbrink
27: Mesenbrink
28: Duke

25: Haines
26: Haines
27: Sealey
28: Sealey

25: Barr
26: Ryder
27: Ryder
28: Ryder

25: Starocci
26: Mirasola
27: Mirasola
28: Mirasola

Locked out:
Facundo
Asher
Henckel
Barr (eventually)

Realistically, some of these guys will have to leave by necessity. They are all AA or better caliber wrestlers, so if any of them do end up in the lineup, I'm perfectly fine with that, too, and I don't want to sound like I'm trashing or giving up on any of them. There's just too much talent for the lineup, and my feeling is that Haines, Mesenbrink, Duke, Sealey, Ryder, and Mirasola are the guys who are most likely to be multiple time champs (Starocci obviously already is), but that's just an opinion, so I could be wrong, too.

Dang. That's a lot of talent.

Reactions: Psalm 1 guy
Barr (eventually)
A returning NCAA Champ getting locked out?

giphy.gif

[...]

Locked out:
Facundo
Asher
Henckel
Barr (eventually)

Realistically, some of these guys will have to leave by necessity. They are all AA or better caliber wrestlers, so if any of them do end up in the lineup, I'm perfectly fine with that, too, and I don't want to sound like I'm trashing or giving up on any of them. There's just too much talent for the lineup, and my feeling is that Haines, Mesenbrink, Duke, Sealey, Ryder, and Mirasola are the guys who are most likely to be multiple time champs (Starocci obviously already is), but that's just an opinion, so I could be wrong, too.
This may be a stretch, but if the heavier Mirasola not making it at heavyweight I can see Barr balloon up to take that spot. I heard his walking weight is above 200.

Careful young man, careful. Watch your words. Tread lightly here, or the thin skinned will get up in arms, carrying torches and pitchforks to ridicule your post, lest you even imply going 197 this year presents a challenge next year for Barr coming back down to 184. Better you tow the line and stay with 'he'll be an undersized 197'. I know of at least one tantrum thrower who can't handle the truth on this subject. :)

Sorry, there is no sympathy point here. Big weight cut is not unheard of. Jordan Boroughs walk around weight is near or over 200 lbs. Ever heard of him? Just admit that you were wrong (not the first time) and move on.

• Haha
Reactions: vhsalum
I know. But if the inn is full and Barr can't beat Ryder (in the future), heavyweight is spot I am looking at for him (again, if the bigger Mirasola not making it).
I think Barr's best shot is going to be taking on Ryder at 184. That's the one spot where I put down Ryder, but I could easily see it going either way.

Sorry, there is no sympathy point here. Big weight cut is not unheard of. Jordan Boroughs walk around weight is near or over 200 lbs. Ever heard of him? Just admit that you were wrong (not the first time) and move on.
Sorry bud, but I won't be proven wrong until next year. Bookmark this and then bash me over the head with it in November 2025.

PS - we just had a poster today pontificate the merits of Barr going up to heavy down the road. Do I think that happens? Highly highly unlikely. Nonetheless, that poster must really ruffle your feathers.

Do I think Barr might rethink 184 after a full year at 197, for a variety of reasons, you bet.

Do I think Marisola has been anointed 197 next year? Pretty much, yes.

However, if Barr grows a little more, might he challenge for the spot? Quite possible.

I gained 45 lbs and 1" in first two years in college, anyone who thinks all kids are done growing at 18-20 isn't factual. My main point isn't entirely the 16 lbs needed to get back down to 184, but moreso he might change physiologically forcing himself to go up to 197 for a full year. What might have been a hard cut, might then become a cut that leaves him listless and far less competitive.

Would I pick Barr over Marisola for 197 in 2025, both on full feed? A very good question.

Honestly the talent is so good I would not be shocked by either outcome. However far fetched it sounds today, if Barr goes 197 this year, there is at least chance he stays there, Marisola or no.

So on balance, all of this speculation is irrelevant, excepting for Barr at 184 and Carter at 197 made more sense on paper to some extent. I think the real deciding factor was Carter obviously couldn't get big enough fast enough for 197. If today he is walking around at 190ish he would have been giving up 10-15 lbs in body mass to his top competition. That said - I think he would have won @197 anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: Creek Side
Davis redshirting makes the most sense of any of the non freshmen redshirting decisions.

1. You have a proven guy at 133 in Nagao.
2. We clearly don’t need the additional points.
3. For as good as Davis’ first year was, he looks so young. I think he would benefit the most from redshirting compared to (Kasak and Levi). A year of bulking up and working on his wrestling could do wonders.
what does young have to do with anything??

Reactions: 82bordeaux
I know Ben loves all his kids but he just seems to have a different level of confidence with Connor Mirasola. He kept it even after Sinclair handled him at WNO (likely aware of some room familiarity) Definitely a big part of it comes from the fact Cael will take this development personally but he didn't mince words when he said by March of 2025, he can beat any 197.

But added he really hopes Cael redshirts him (and I believe that obviously is the plan) and previously joked Cael won't to preserve his own undefeated 4 timer status.

Once again, Ben is obviously a homer but he's not afraid of being critical of his own kids as we've seen before and he's as high on Connor as any of his previous students

I know Ben loves all his kids but he just seems to have a different level of confidence with Connor Mirasola. He kept it even after Sinclair handled him at WNO (likely aware of some room familiarity) Definitely a big part of it comes from the fact Cael will take this development personally but he didn't mince words when he said by March of 2025, he can beat any 197.

But added he really hopes Cael redshirts him (and I believe that obviously is the plan) and previously joked Cael won't to preserve his own undefeated 4 timer status.

Once again, Ben is obviously a homer but he's not afraid of being critical of his own kids as we've seen before and he's as high on Connor as any of his previous students
It certainly will be interesting to watch how things play out for the twins in the years to come.

Maybe I'm wrong and some will correct me but my take on Con. Mirasola is that he is tremendous on re-attacks and eats even high-level guys up with them. But it seems that some guys have scouted that out on him and he needs to develop his offense, especially out of a tie. He's a little methodical from space against the upper level guys and that won't cut it at that level. Sinclair knows that for sure, and that was how his U20 played out - he struggled when he ran into guys that just played position and held center. When Max faced off him again in the rematch, he kept everything in close quarters and stymied him except for one late match quick shot from space off a re-start.

There's really no place better for him to come and improve on that. And keep in mind this is not a put-down - I'm judging him on his ability to compete at the world level and he just graduated HS.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm wrong and some will correct me but my take on Con. Mirasola is that he is tremendous on re-attacks and eats even high-level guys up with them. But it seems that some guys have scouted that out on him and he needs to develop some offense, especially out of a tie. He's a little methodical from space against the upper level guys and that won't cut it at that level. Sinclair knows that for sure, and that was how his U20 played out - he struggled when he ran into guys that just played position and held center. When Max faced off him again in the rematch, he kept everything in close quarters and stymied him except for one late match quick shot from space off a re-shot.

There's really no place better for him to come and improve on that. And keep in mind this is not a put-down - I'm judging him on his ability to compete at the world level and he just graduated HS.
So he's a 200 pound kid who is tremendously athletic, very coachable and hardworking, has a great motor but needs to learn a variety of attacks, sequencing from some guys around that size. 😏

So he's a 200 pound kid who is tremendously athletic, very coachable and hardworking, has a great motor but needs to learn a variety of attacks, sequencing from some guys around that size. 😏
Sequencing AND a variety of attacks? Too bad our coaches lack those abilities….

I think we're at the point where not having 10 AAs would be a disappointment. 6-7 finalists is almost guaranteed.

Reactions: a_mshaffer
As @CSauertiegPSU and I discussed, PSU hammers who go up tend to do better, not worse. Add good muscle, less cut, thus they're stronger and have a bigger tank!

We just say it was Levi and we'll see it with Tyler Kasak
God, do I so want to see Levi ride Arnold for 4 plus minutes - maybe turn him in a nasty turk, too.

True -- for this year. But that just kicks the can down the road.

Next year we'll have 4 guys (Lilledahl, Desmond, Davis, Nagao) for 2 spots, unless one of them (Nagao?) can go up to 141. If one goes up and Lilledahl shirts in 2026, then that kicks the can for one more year. Will still have 3 guys for 2 weights in 2027.
It is a good problem to have, but there is going to be a ton of can kicking in the future for this team. Some really good wrestlers are eventually going to sit or transfer out, regardless of how well Cael plans. And that's not factoring in injuries and growth spurts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT