ADVERTISEMENT

Cadet Worlds thread

“Not everybody is the perfect person in the world. Everyone does , kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me. I just feel that people need to give him a chance."
Took me a minute to remember that wasn’t a quote from Pootie Tang.

The Haines call hurts
Maybe. That bad call cost 2 team points, and we lost by 4. Levi would've needed to win the next match too -- and since that guy didn't make the finals, losing to him would've still meant no repechage.

India was on the other half of the bracket, so no opportunity to deny them points.

Getting shut out at 55 kg and 60 kg hurt a lot worse. So did losing 3 finals matches.

BTW, Haines scored more team points than the Turk who "beat" him by falling out of bounds.

UWW team scoring rules are on Ch. 7 (bottom of p. 29) here:

Last edited:
If I were Bo, I would do what Ferrari did and take every trip possible. The kid is going to be everyone's P4P and he will get a full ride anywhere. Without knowing anything I have to imagine it's Iowa's to lose with his relationship to Strittmatter (right?) and Spencer being there. I know they have PSU stuff in their house, but it's almost a mirror image type deal.

Also, has he said anything about going straight to senior level type wrestling if his trajectory holds true?

I want to add Meyer to this, too. Those two set themselves up for an incredible amount of success. Full court press on both. With Levi, we are already blessed to have him on board.

Last edited:
If I were Bo, I would do what Ferrari did and take every trip possible. The kid is going to be everyone's P4P and he will get a full ride anywhere. Without knowing anything I have to imagine it's Iowa's to lose with his relationship to Strittmatter (right?) and Spencer being there. I know they have PSU stuff in their house, but it's almost a mirror image type deal.

Also, has he said anything about going straight to senior level type wrestling if his trajectory holds true?

I want to add Meyer to this, too. Those two set themselves up for an incredible amount of success. Full court press on both. With Levi, we are already blessed to have him on board.
Our default setting always seems to be Strittmatter --> Iowa favorite. In reality, Iowa has landed 5 Young Guns wrestlers ever. And it's really hard to argue that Strittmatter was the deciding factor for Lee, Kemerer (heavy Lehigh lean until the Iowa official visit), and Henson (recent college head coach's son).

That leaves Young and Murin -- if Strittmatter was the driving factor with them, who cares.

Meanwhile, Bassett trained for Cadet Worlds primarily at The Compound (his dad's club) and at M2 + NLWC. When he needed to be his best, he trained at PSU.

True that Spencer isn't at PSU. Also true that Gilman, RBY, Howard, Zain, Nick Lee, Bartlett, and Van Ness aren't at Iowa.

Also, Bassett's cousin will enroll at Cornell in Fall 2022 (with Yianni and Arujau training there). So Cornell would also have a relationship edge over Iowa.

Our default setting always seems to be Strittmatter --> Iowa favorite. In reality, Iowa has landed 5 Young Guns wrestlers ever. And it's really hard to argue that Strittmatter was the deciding factor for Lee, Kemerer (heavy Lehigh lean until the Iowa official visit), and Henson (recent college head coach's son).

That leaves Young and Murin -- if Strittmatter was the driving factor with them, who cares.

Meanwhile, Bassett trained for Cadet Worlds primarily at The Compound (his dad's club) and at M2 + NLWC. When he needed to be his best, he trained at PSU.

True that Spencer isn't at PSU. Also true that Gilman, RBY, Howard, Zain, Nick Lee, Bartlett, and Van Ness aren't at Iowa.

Also, Bassett's cousin will enroll at Cornell in Fall 2022 (with Yianni and Arujau training there). So Cornell would also have a relationship edge over Iowa.
We usually get the Young Guns kids we prioritize minus Spencer. Nolf, Cenzo, Nico were all YGWC kids.

I don't even want to use the term "we didn't want them" but it's pretty obvious for Young, Murin, Kemerer that they wouldn't have a path to start at PSU all 4 years, obviously they'd be welcomed if they wanted to take a shot. Pretty sure Luke Pletcher wanted in as well but we couldn't offer him as much as OSU and/or Cael wasn't the biggest fan of his style. That one was a mistake if true.

Always appreciate your insights. Thanks!

here’s a clip of Bo ripping the Russian kid
giphy.gif

Reactions: PASLP2
I'm telling you NIL will be huge in the years ahead. Huge. What you cant do in schollie you can make up with NIL.

The recent arms race will be nothing like the future.

Coach to booster: I need this kid. But I only got .5 schollie for him

Booster: can we win a team title if we get this kid.

Coach: he is the missing piece.

Booster: ok. I'll hire him to sell cars this winter. Pay him $1500/month

Compliance office. Deal

#thisistheway

I'm telling you NIL will be huge in the years ahead. Huge. What you cant do in schollie you can make up with NIL.

Compliance office. Deal

#thisistheway

But the bassets have family and now the olympic bug is firm. So that will also be something coaches zero in on.

Yuks got the bag men.

TnT have the "light weight room"

Ok state have bag men, tradition and smith.

Psu only has what it has .......hahahaha

#itswhatwedo

Seems like a very tight nit family to me. With Bo having a younger brother that will still be in hs, his dad coaching and running the compound I'd put my money on him staying close to home. I predicted Iowa for Spencer, hope I hit on this one too.
You never know, maybe his dad will expand a compound in Iowa City magically ;)

Reactions: mjmirv

Compliance office. Deal

#thisistheway
How much can Suriano make from Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Norwegian, and of course Princess?

Compliance office. Deal

#thisistheway
1,500 / month? Just because they are going to do it above board I don't expect Alabama, Clemson or Ohio St football players as well as Kentucky basketball players to take a full magnitude pay cut.

I really try to temper my excitement about middle school aged kids, partly because my attention span is too short to want to watch their progression towards college, but also because I've seen so many that were a flash in the pan or who didn't live up to some fans' expectations, but I have to admit that I'm pretty anxious to see Bo Bassett in high school and college after seeing him wrestle here and hearing his post-championship interview. Can you even imagine being a high school kid who has to wrestle him? I've seen a lot of high school kids who were nowhere near this kid's level who were assumed would win each match in high school and I can't even imagine the average kid having to face him. For that matter, I wouldn't want to be a senior who was a returning state champ and have to face him.

I really try to temper my excitement about middle school aged kids, ... because I've seen so many that were a flash in the pan or who didn't live up to some fans' expectations,

Yep. I sure hope the next 4 years pan out for the kid...

Reactions: billrag
Looking at the Cadet Women's results, I was surprised to see . Blades as one of 3 girls not in contention for a medal. After her trial performance I figured she would crush her age level worlds. USA overall is sitting in third with a great chance to move up.

Reactions: hlstone
Looking at the Cadet Women's results, I was surprised to see . Blades as one of 3 girls not in contention for a medal. After her trial performance I figured she would crush her age level worlds. USA overall is sitting in third with a great chance to move up.
I think it's a different Blades. Kennedy was in the OTT, this is Korina in Cadets

Reactions: hlstone
How good is Bo’s little brother Keegan? I know he is winning pretty much everything he enters but is he on the level of Bo?

Compliance office. Deal

#thisistheway
I worked at a large insurance broker in NYC where the president was a big UCONN guy. All of a sudden Charlie Villanueva was pushing around a mail cart. I’m guessing he made more than I did.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT