ADVERTISEMENT

Is Penn State Freshman Levi Haines a Title Contender at 157 Pounds?

Seltzer Drinking GIF by Number Six With Cheese
Who the hell invited @mcpat ?

Totally not necessary. But I'm sure Thomas Gilman appreciates it.
That donation also entitles you to a free cocktail from me at Local Whiskey prior to the match!
Oh no! You're drinking Before and After the match? Last time you did that you challenged the Brands Brothers and their athletic trainer to a tag team match. I'm sure you don't remember!

They later held you in the same cell you stayed at time to time as an undergrad. You thought it was alumni weekend.

Oh the good old days!

Who the hell invited @mcpat ?
Lol!

I’ve spent some time contemplating how I feel about my most significant contribution to this board being the White Claw. (I’m good with it :))

As an aside, I’d better take a rain check on the pre or post Iowa match festivities. I’m dragging a pretty large group of non-wrestling fans to the match (including the wife and kids); I can’t just duck out on them. Another time, though, please.

Last edited:
Late to the party getting tickets, has anyone stayed at “We Are Inn” in PBurg? Thats on our way home.

Nashville, just to let you know hotels are hard to find for that weekend. Altoona is always a 45 minute away option or Boalsburg 15 away had rooms a couple of weeks ago.
You are not kidding. There are some mediocre hotels within a few miles that still have a couple rooms for $500-$700 per night, but I went ahead and booked a room at a nice Marriott in Huntingdon. According to Marriott's website it's only 24 miles from State College. Should I stick with that or do you think Altoona's closer or more convenient (restaurants, good road to the venue, etc.)? Thanks a million for the assist!

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
I know I am tagging along, even though I plan on paying for my own cocktails.

Oh, and with respect to hotels, I just checked the Hilton site, the Hampton Inn north of campus has availability, for $581 a night!
I found the same kind on numbers on Marriott's site...very proud of those hotels. LOL!

You are not kidding. There are some mediocre hotels within a few miles that still have a couple rooms for $500-$700 per night, but I went ahead and booked a room at a nice Marriott in Huntingdon. According to Marriott's website it's only 24 miles from State College. Should I stick with that or do you think Altoona's closer or more convenient (restaurants, good road to the venue, etc.)? Thanks a million for the assist!
Huntingdon is much smaller than Altoona, but is a nice college town with a handful of cool places to go. I've always liked Boxer's Cafe. The fastest trip there is over a 2-lane mountain road, and through a lot of deer-rich woods and fields for traveling at night and or winter weather, though. All highway driving to Altoona.

Huntingdon is much smaller than Altoona, but is a nice college town with a handful of cool places to go. I've always liked Boxer's Cafe. The fastest trip there is over a 2-lane mountain road, and through a lot of deer-rich woods and fields for traveling at night and or winter weather, though. All highway driving to Altoona.
Thank you my friend. I might switch to Altoona as they had a couple good rooms there as well.

Reactions: nerfstate
Reservation moved to the Marriott in Altoona. Thanks again for the info. :)

Lol!

I’ve spent some time contemplating how I feel about my most significant contribution to this board being the White Claw. (I’m good with it :))

As an aside, I’d better take a rain check on the pre or post Iowa match festivities. I’m dragging a pretty large group of non-wrestling fans to the match (including the wife and kids); I can’t just duck out on them. Another time, though, please.
Im sure I could come up with something...

That’s relatively accurate for Huntingdon to State College.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
Probably the wiser choice for the time of the year--I haven't eaten in Altoona recently, but they have many chain restaraunts and I believe a few gems for more local color (someone else would have to chime in). Just don't order "Altoona-Style Pizza" anywhere, and you'll be just fine.

@nerfstate, OK, I'll bite, what is "Altoona-Style Pizza"? I have heard of Detroit, Old Forge, thin, thick, Neapolitan, but never Altoona style.

Reactions: hlstone
Good call. Rt 26 to Huntingdon is hilly and curvy, and not much shoulder in places. If the road is wet or foggy, it's best left to the local professional drunk drivers.

You'll find some good eating in Altoona. State College is better -- if that's a priority, you might see if there's anything your wife can do nearby while you're at the dual.

Precisely the kind of abomination that would make people like Olive Garden.
The word that instantly came to mind when I saw that picture and accompanying description, 'nasty'.

Then along you come, with a far more appropriate and sophisticated description. Perfect.

Reactions: GOLDBANGER
Nashville, sorry had my phone do for a while. I live the hours away. I'm glad some more locals could help you out.

At the match, look for the guy yelling at Brands to sit down, that will be me!

I think it was the right call. Altoona is a straight shot from State College. I think the Marriott is off of convention drive. Nice area and plenty of restraunts within a mile or two of Hotel. If you were ever curious what Primanti Bros. is like, there's one a mile or so away. It's the one they always show during Steeler games that have a sandwich called the Roethlisburger. I don't care for them but you might. Lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT