ADVERTISEMENT

Is Penn State Freshman Levi Haines a Title Contender at 157 Pounds?

Reservation moved to the Marriott in Altoona. Thanks again for the info. :)
I just looked at the hotel prices for that weekend and they are salty. I hope you get to spend some time in State College before the regular season event of the year! Hopefully the weather is good that day. The trip between Altoona and State College is an easy one but does take a good 45 minutes in fair weather.

I believe I'm going to get my son out of school early that afternoon to allow plenty of time for us to get a good meal and try to find parking at the BJC. I'm not telling my wife about getting him out early because it's easier to ask for forgiveness than to get permission🤫.

Last edited:
I found the same kind on numbers on Marriott's site...very proud of those hotels. LOL!
Everybody has offered solid advice on where to stay, where to eat and other ideas.
If you like ribs, or wings, flavorful steaks or hamburgers all with fresh cut and delicious fries I would suggest slightly off the main path, Spruce Creek Tavern. After your early dinner hang a left out of the parking lot onto rt 45E to 322W business past Sheetz, to the light with CVS on the left. Take a right onto University drive which will take you to campus and the BJC.

Enjoy the match and your time in central PA.

Disgusted Jim Carrey GIF
I think many of you have not had hard seltzer. It’s quite good!

Reactions: danoftw and mcpat
My wife always travels with but she stays in the hotel and chills. So it's just me. Thank you my friend! :)
I might be able to schedule some entertainment for her while you are at the match. By the time you get back she should have a whole new opinion of tough wrestling. No donations necessary. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
Hell lock haven is closer than Altoona lol
Yeah I was going to mention Lamar or Lock Haven but I assume that he's coming from the opposite direction (Nashville). The dining options in Lamar are basically the truck stops and McDonald's. There is the Hublersburg Inn on the way to SC off of Rt 64 that has awesome food. Lock Haven has a few more dining options but I don't believe it would be worth the extra time if he is coming from the southwest direction.

Hell lock haven is closer than Altoona lol
Driving time Lock Haven vs. Altoona is a wash (difference of a couple of minutes depending on where you stay) but a LOT more hotels and restaurants in Altoona than Lock Haven. Also, less traffic on I99 than on I80.

Reactions: psualt
Reservation moved to the Marriott in Altoona. Thanks again for the info. :)
You made the right choice. I live between Altoona and State College, and the drive from Altoona is easier (albeit somewhat less picturesque) than the drive from Huntingdon, and there are far more options for dining and activities. What recommendations can we make for you or your better half?

You made the right choice. I live between Altoona and State College, and the drive from Altoona is easier (albeit somewhat less picturesque) than the drive from Huntingdon, and there are far more options for dining and activities. What recommendations can we make for you or your better half?
Greetings friend, We're going to arrive around 1:00 PM Friday and taking off after breakfast Saturday, so we're really only looking for a good dinner location and perhaps the best place to park at the Bryce Jordan Center. Sadly we're doing a quick in/out so we can watch a local cheer competition that Sunday. :)

Everybody has offered solid advice on where to stay, where to eat and other ideas.
If you like ribs, or wings, flavorful steaks or hamburgers all with fresh cut and delicious fries I would suggest slightly off the main path, Spruce Creek Tavern. After your early dinner hang a left out of the parking lot onto rt 45E to 322W business past Sheetz, to the light with CVS on the left. Take a right onto University drive which will take you to campus and the BJC.

Enjoy the match and your time in central PA.
Thanks a million, Nitlion...that sounds perfect! :)

Reactions: nitlion6
I just looked at the hotel prices for that weekend and they are salty. I hope you get to spend some time in State College before the regular season event of the year! Hopefully the weather is good that day. The trip between Altoona and State College is an easy one but does take a good 45 minutes in fair weather.

I believe I'm going to get my son out of school early that afternoon to allow plenty of time for us to get a good meal and try to find parking at the BJC. I'm not telling my wife about getting him out early because it's easier to ask for forgiveness than to get permission🤫.
What time should I get to the BJC in order to have time to park, and then check out BJC, etc., before the match starts? And where is the best place to park at the BJC? Never been there...never been to PSU.

I think it was the right call. Altoona is a straight shot from State College. I think the Marriott is off of convention drive. Nice area and plenty of restraunts within a mile or two of Hotel. If you were ever curious what Primanti Bros. is like, there's one a mile or so away. It's the one they always show during Steeler games that have a sandwich called the Roethlisburger. I don't care for them but you might. Lol
Thanks brother!

Good call. Rt 26 to Huntingdon is hilly and curvy, and not much shoulder in places. If the road is wet or foggy, it's best left to the local professional drunk drivers.

You'll find some good eating in Altoona. State College is better -- if that's a priority, you might see if there's anything your wife can do nearby while you're at the dual.
Thanks el-Jefe! The wife is actually from the New River Gorge area near Fayetteville, WV. Lots of country mountain roads and local professional drunk drivers in her neck of the woods as well...I get to enjoy them 4 times a year. LOL! And yes, I'm feeling much better about Altoona. :)

Reactions: Ski
Probably the wiser choice for the time of the year--I haven't eaten in Altoona recently, but they have many chain restaraunts and I believe a few gems for more local color (someone else would have to chime in). Just don't order "Altoona-Style Pizza" anywhere, and you'll be just fine.
Thank you my friend! :)

Good shit right here fellas. I like that we can root vehemently against each others teams, but come together for the sport of wrestling and setting someone up for the most enjoyable time while at PSU.

• Love
Reactions: hlstone and Ski
Greetings friend, We're going to arrive around 1:00 PM Friday and taking off after breakfast Saturday, so we're really only looking for a good dinner location and perhaps the best place to park at the Bryce Jordan Center. Sadly we're doing a quick in/out so we can watch a local cheer competition that Sunday. :)
Spruce Creek Tavern is a nice place, and the owners are friends of mine. It will likely be busy on a Friday evening, so if that’s your choice (and it’s a slight detour on your quickest route to PSU from Altoona, which is I99 North) make sure you allow time. Their fries are hand cut every day on site, but the quantities are generous! If you want something different and/or closer to the BJC, this board won’t steer you wrong.

Reactions: Goathead88
Thanks el-Jefe! The wife is actually from the New River Gorge area near Fayetteville, WV. Lots of country mountain roads and local professional drunk drivers in her neck of the woods as well...I get to enjoy them 4 times a year. LOL! And yes, I'm feeling much better about Altoona. :)
Two recommendations for your trip (for the travel itself):

1. Flight 93 Memorial is a very short detour -- only adds about 15-20 min of driving.

2. Jean Bonnet Tavern, on Rt 30 near Bedford PA -- colonial-era tavern, on the National Register of Historic Places. Cool atmosphere and very good food. It's about 5 min from the Rt. 30/220 interchange. And you'll drive right past it if you go to the Flight 93 Memorial.

Reactions: Goathead88
What time should I get to the BJC in order to have time to park, and then check out BJC, etc., before the match starts? And where is the best place to park at the BJC? Never been there...never been to PSU.
Nash,
What I would do is just check in to your hotel and drive over to State College. Park on College Ave and walk around "weather permitting". If it's nice you can walk up to Rec Hall where most of the matches are held and the Lorenzo Wrestling Center is located. And you can get your photos next to the Lion Shrine.Y ou may even get a Bordeaux sighting at Doggies or Local Whiskey. Get dinner at The Tavern Restaurant https://thetavern.com/reservations. It is a State College institution that has had a recent makeover in the last couple of years. You can get some nice PSU gear next door at Jack Harpers Menswear so you can look like a winner ;)
Use the parkmobile app to prepay for parking next to The BJC https://parkmobile.io/
This way you get a little flavor for the campus and town and won't have to stress if there is less than perfect weather or an accident between Altoona and State College.

Nash,
What I would do is just check in to your hotel and drive over to State College. Park on College Ave and walk around "weather permitting". If it's nice you can walk up to Rec Hall where most of the matches are held and the Lorenzo Wrestling Center is located. And you can get your photos next to the Lion Shrine.Y ou may even get a Bordeaux sighting at Doggies or Local Whiskey. Get dinner at The Tavern Restaurant https://thetavern.com/reservations. It is a State College institution that has had a recent makeover in the last couple of years. You can get some nice PSU gear next door at Jack Harpers Menswear so you can look like a winner ;)
Use the parkmobile app to prepay for parking next to The BJC https://parkmobile.io/
This way you get a little flavor for the campus and town and won't have to stress if there is less than perfect weather or an accident between Altoona and State College.
Nashville, Iowa is also about ice cream. Try the Penn State Creamery. just up the road from Rec Hall. Hope you have a great trip.

Reactions: hlstone
While at the Creamery, buy a travel bag they sell and take back some ice cream for the wife at the hotel. They sell dry ice to keep it cold, a hour worth of ice lasts a long time.

Also the Creamery sells Ye Olde College Diner Stickys. To visit State College without buying these would get you banned for any future visits to Pennsylvania. Also Buy a couple sticks of butter and your favorite hot beverage and eat them on the way home. You'll be back in Nashville before you know it.

From past experience mineral spirits can help clean up the car steering wheel the next day. 😆But it is worth it.

Reactions: danoftw
Nash, doubtful this will happen on your route but if you do happen to stop at any rest stops and see any of your Iowa brethren BEWARE and whatever you do, dont fall for his missing puppy ruse.

• Haha
Reactions: hlstone
HI guys,

Unfortunately the wife and I came out of JAMFest Cheer Super Nationals this past weekend with COVID. All was well heading to Indianapolis on Friday, but by Tuesday we were sick as hell so finally tested and there it was. We came up here to Charleston, WV last night in hopes that we would test negative this morning, but no such luck. So instead of driving to Altoona later this morning/afternoon, heading to BJC this evening for the dual of the century (though sadly I don't think it will be that close; think we'll win 3, maybe 4), and sharing COVID with 15,000 new friends at the BJC we're going to limp back to Nashville later today. That said, I wanted to thank all of you for being so kind in assisting us with a ticket and assisting us with prepping our trip and our stay! You all are not only great fans but also really good guys and we appreciate it! Good luck tonight!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT