ADVERTISEMENT

Lets Talk Big 10 Expansion

People need to stop thinking about "markets". Markets were important when Rutgers and Maryland were added because it pumped up B10 network subscribers including peolle who had no interest in those schools. That model is no longer in play due to streaming. The new model is all about actual viewers of games.

AAU is very important to the president's too.

The top schools in play by 2023 viewers are: Colorado, FSU, ND, OreSt, Clemson, Utah, Louisville, Miami, Duke, Kansas. Stanford is way down the list at 64th behind bc, pitt, Syracuse, army etc.

Ohio State — 5.55M
Alabama — 5.08M
Michigan — 4.78M
Colorado — 4.50M
Georgia — 3.95M
Texas — 3.61M
Florida State — 3.58M
Notre Dame — 3.46M
Penn State — 3.31M
LSU — 2.85M
Southern Cal — 2.83M
Washington — 2.68M
Tennessee — 2.67M
Oklahoma — 2.40M
Nebraska — 2.39M
Florida — 2.12M
Auburn — 2.074M
Oregon — 2.067M
Texas A&M — 2.062M
Oregon State — 1.74M
Mississippi — 1.71M
Clemson — 1.70M
Missouri — 1.63M
Iowa — 1.60M
Utah — 1.53M
Michigan State — 1.48M
Wisconsin — 1.45M
TCU — 1.42M
Maryland — 1.41M
Minnesota — 1.37M
Louisville — 1.36M
Miami FL — 1.33M
Duke — 1.32M
UCLA — 1.25M
Kansas — 1.24M
BYU — 1.21M
Indiana — 1.18M
Iowa State — 1.15M
Oklahoma State — 1.14M
Arkansas — 1.13M
West Virginia — 1.095M
Navy — 1.090M
Washington State — 1.08M
Kentucky — 1.04M
Rutgers — 977K
North Carolina — 966K
Texas Tech — 950K
South Carolina — 900K
Illinois — 862K
Mississippi State — 839K
Colorado State — 814K
Kansas State — 810K
Georgia Tech — 766K
Syracuse — 703K
Purdue — 694K
Pittsburgh — 690K
Army — 683K
Virginia — 663K
NC State — 661K
UCF — 621K
Boston College — 617K
Arizona State — 603K
Houston — 587K
Stanford — 549K
True, but...you can't just use one year. A five to ten year rolling average would be probably be a better indicator. CU is up there because of Deion. In normal times, you could broadcast an old Bob Ross rerun and it would have more viewers than CU football.

Also, you need to discount the viewing platform. Some of the P12 schools are way down because the P12 network was carried by something like 14 homes.

Reactions: Sullivan
You're seeing how that is playing out now in the ACC these contracts are basically the same. When FSU and Clemson win or negotiate their way out it will be Katy Bar the Door on those contracts because it's going to become a jail break. Those payoffs if that's the route it goes will be nothing like what's in the contract or what's been suggested. Teams like Kansas are conservative and wealthy schools. Unlike ND and other their Alums actually donate big money too. They are making huge improvements because they want to make themselves more attractive so they can make the move sooner rather than later. The new projects don't actually have to be completed but merely in the works with the financial commitment. Kansas has actually done that. I think the SEC wants them and as soon as the ACC shakes out Kansas will get their SEC offer.

Kansas fans aren’t so sure. They like the direction they’re heading and the planned investment but they aren’t sold it will last. Time will tell.

As for the SEC, I don’t see them really focused on Kansas. KU fans would have serious pushback about joining that conference. They’d much prefer the Big Ten but if it was SEC or Big 12 they’d obviously hold their noses and take SEC for the money.

Reactions: PSU4U and KCLion
People need to stop thinking about "markets". Markets were important when Rutgers and Maryland were added because it pumped up B10 network subscribers including peolle who had no interest in those schools. That model is no longer in play due to streaming. The new model is all about actual viewers of games.

The top schools in play by 2023 viewers are: Colorado, FSU, ND, OreSt, Clemson, Utah, Louisville, Miami, Duke, Kansas. Stanford is way down the list at 64th behind bc, pitt, Syracuse, army etc.

Ohio State — 5.55M
Alabama — 5.08M
Michigan — 4.78M
Colorado — 4.50M
Georgia — 3.95M
Texas — 3.61M
Florida State — 3.58M
Notre Dame — 3.46M
Penn State — 3.31M
LSU — 2.85M
Southern Cal — 2.83M
Washington — 2.68M
Tennessee — 2.67M
Oklahoma — 2.40M
Nebraska — 2.39M
Florida — 2.12M
Auburn — 2.074M
Oregon — 2.067M
Texas A&M — 2.062M
Oregon State — 1.74M
Mississippi — 1.71M
Clemson — 1.70M
Missouri — 1.63M
Iowa — 1.60M
Utah — 1.53M
Michigan State — 1.48M
Wisconsin — 1.45M
TCU — 1.42M
Maryland — 1.41M
Minnesota — 1.37M
Louisville — 1.36M
Miami FL — 1.33M
Duke — 1.32M
UCLA — 1.25M
Kansas — 1.24M
BYU — 1.21M
Indiana — 1.18M
Iowa State — 1.15M
Oklahoma State — 1.14M
Arkansas — 1.13M
West Virginia — 1.095M
Navy — 1.090M
Washington State — 1.08M
Kentucky — 1.04M
Rutgers — 977K
North Carolina — 966K
Texas Tech — 950K
South Carolina — 900K
Illinois — 862K
Mississippi State — 839K
Colorado State — 814K
Kansas State — 810K
Georgia Tech — 766K
Syracuse — 703K
Purdue — 694K
Pittsburgh — 690K
Army — 683K
Virginia — 663K
NC State — 661K
UCF — 621K
Boston College — 617K
Arizona State — 603K
Houston — 587K
Stanford — 549K
The University Presidents will be looking at “markets” not just football viewing for additional opportunities for students and research dollars.

This is a bit older but read some sports writers saying the B1G said they’d like to have a presence in Texas by 2026.

2 day old article with the same info.

Reactions: Obliviax

Ohio State — 5.55M
Alabama — 5.08M
Michigan — 4.78M
Colorado — 4.50M
Georgia — 3.95M
Texas — 3.61M
Florida State — 3.58M
Notre Dame — 3.46M
Penn State — 3.31M
LSU — 2.85M
Southern Cal — 2.83M
Washington — 2.68M
Tennessee — 2.67M
Oklahoma — 2.40M
Nebraska — 2.39M
Florida — 2.12M
Auburn — 2.074M
Oregon — 2.067M
Texas A&M — 2.062M
Oregon State — 1.74M
Mississippi — 1.71M
Clemson — 1.70M
Missouri — 1.63M
Iowa — 1.60M
Utah — 1.53M
Michigan State — 1.48M
Wisconsin — 1.45M
TCU — 1.42M
Maryland — 1.41M
Minnesota — 1.37M
Louisville — 1.36M
Miami FL — 1.33M
Duke — 1.32M
UCLA — 1.25M
Kansas — 1.24M
BYU — 1.21M
Indiana — 1.18M
Iowa State — 1.15M
Oklahoma State — 1.14M
Arkansas — 1.13M
West Virginia — 1.095M
Navy — 1.090M
Washington State — 1.08M
Kentucky — 1.04M
Rutgers — 977K
North Carolina — 966K
Texas Tech — 950K
South Carolina — 900K
Illinois — 862K
Mississippi State — 839K
Colorado State — 814K
Kansas State — 810K
Georgia Tech — 766K
Syracuse — 703K
Purdue — 694K
Pittsburgh — 690K
Army — 683K
Virginia — 663K
NC State — 661K
UCF — 621K
Boston College — 617K
Arizona State — 603K
Houston — 587K
Stanford — 549K
This is 100% factual. Specific media markets mean absolutely nothing. Use the list, and match who is AAU, and you’ll find the next several additions to the Big 10 conference as each p2 Conference builds a portfolio of schools.

So, Colorado, ND, Utah, and Miami to be the Big?
The Big will fight hard for VA UNC GT and ND is a given, ND is not going to the SEC. If FSU lands in the Big Miami will still be on the outside looking in. FSU would give everything, and more than what Miami can without the problems. The Big is not taking a team that's not financially committed to being in their own stadium. But FSU could easily end up in the SEC. Then if Miami puts up the money for their own stadium I think they have a good chance.

As for the teams in the west CO would be last on that list their athletic department is broke and it doesn't seem that help is arriving anytime soon. Athletic department financial health is a big thing and one of the boxes that gets checked first. When Primes son is gone so will Prime. Prime will end up at a better place most likely in TX.

Ranking teams in the west to the Big, Stanford but only as a travel partner for ND which might not happen, Utah AZ CO ASU. Warren wanted to invite ASU, but the place was a hot mess at the time so no. IMO only two have a shot at getting in. Keep in mind that USC and UCLA are lobbying hard for Utah relationships matter. How will it all turn out no one knows but everything in the west depends on what happens in ACC country. If that goes badly then add Kansas to the list.

Reactions: KCLion
Kansas fans aren’t so sure. They like the direction they’re heading and the planned investment but they aren’t sold it will last. Time will tell.

As for the SEC, I don’t see them really focused on Kansas. KU fans would have serious pushback about joining that conference. They’d much prefer the Big Ten but if it was SEC or Big 12 they’d obviously hold their noses and take SEC for the money.
Kansas has been soliciting the Big 10 for years and it's only recently that the door has slightly cracked open. They are doing all the right things to make themselves attractive in football. They have always had the other things in order.

Reactions: psu00
The Big will fight hard for VA UNC GT and ND is a given, ND is not going to the SEC. If FSU lands in the Big Miami will still be on the outside looking in. FSU would give everything, and more than what Miami can without the problems. The Big is not taking a team that's not financially committed to being in their own stadium. But FSU could easily end up in the SEC. Then if Miami puts up the money for their own stadium I think they have a good chance.

As for the teams in the west CO would be last on that list their athletic department is broke and it doesn't seem that help is arriving anytime soon. Athletic department financial health is a big thing and one of the boxes that gets checked first. When Primes son is gone so will Prime. Prime will end up at a better place most likely in TX.

Ranking teams in the west to the Big, Stanford but only as a travel partner for ND which might not happen, Utah AZ CO ASU. Warren wanted to invite ASU, but the place was a hot mess at the time so no. IMO only two have a shot at getting in. Keep in mind that USC and UCLA are lobbying hard for Utah relationships matter. How will it all turn out no one knows but everything in the west depends on what happens in ACC country. If that goes badly then add Kansas to the list.
I was trying to make a point that it wasn’t as simple as going down a viewing list, comparing it to the AAU list and taking the top 4 on that viewing list from 1 year of data.

It is interesting for sure like the other realignment news out there, but I just don’t see it with Texas A&M. It was reported they are upset that the SEC invited Texas despite verbal assurances in the past, but I can’t see them being that foolish to pay a huge exit fee to break the current contract to make roughly the same revenue in the B1G and make every road trip excruciating for their student athletes. At least with USC and UCLA there was the promise of a lot more revenue in their new Conference.
While the Big has wanted to be in TX for a long time with TX off to the SEC the picking are really slim. Would A&M be a take absolutely but that's a long shot. A&M continues to rattle sabers, but I think at this point that's all it is. I think A&M would be a great add and TCU would be no slouch. Both have a pretty big follow. Not sure TCU controls any markets which FOX requires.

As the BIG is working on a HUGE new money stream IF IF IF it happens markets might not be as important where just a couple teams are concerned. If it happens it will probably take a couple years to happen, so not applicable at the moment.

I was trying to make a point that it wasn’t as simple as going down a viewing list, comparing it to the AAU list and taking the top 4 on that viewing list from 1 year of data.
That list is pretty consistent year to year, with the exception of Colorado who got a Prime bump . You literally can use that list and select AAU schools with high tv viewership (not already in the SEC) to determine the next candidates. It’s the methodology that’s been used for USC/UCLA and Oregon/Washington expansions.

Reactions: PSU4U
Are the contracts between the schools and the conferences public information?
I keep reading about the costs to exit a conference, but I have never seen a list.
How about the SEC's deal with Texas A&M?
How about Kansas and the Big 12?
How about the three new members of the ACC? Are they under the same deal as the other schools?
Thanks for any inormation.

FSU is not AAU, which appears to be a hard requirement for B1G presidents. As such the only ticket into Florida would be Miami, who is somewhat marginal in terms of tv viewership/revenue but the B1G likely would add them anyway just to get into the important state. The other Florida AAU school option is USF. With a Tampa location that region is filled with midwestern retirees and B1G alum, but obviously the school does not generate enough interest to garner an invite.

While the Big has wanted to be in TX for a long time with TX off to the SEC the picking are really slim. Would A&M be a take absolutely but that's a long shot. A&M continues to rattle sabers, but I think at this point that's all it is. I think A&M would be a great add and TCU would be no slouch. Both have a pretty big follow. Not sure TCU controls any markets which FOX requires.

As the BIG is working on a HUGE new money stream IF IF IF it happens markets might not be as important where just a couple teams are concerned. If it happens it will probably take a couple years to happen, so not applicable at the moment.
Yeah, we would take A&M in a heartbeat, but I just do not think that sour grapes about Texas entering the SEC will guide the decion-making. They would look really bad as if they are running away from their rival and take a financial hit to do so.

Reactions: PSU4U and psu00
Yeah, we would take A&M in a heartbeat, but I just do not think that sour grapes about Texas entering the SEC will guide the decion-making. They would look really bad as if they are running away from their rival and take a financial hit to do so.
Agreed, they aren't leaving the SEC. It's just angst because they feel Texas was deemed more important than them by the powers that be in the SEC--which Texas is. They need to accept they're place as the "little brother".

Agreed, they aren't leaving the SEC. It's just angst because they feel Texas was deemed more important than them by the powers that be in the SEC--which Texas is. They need to accept they're place as the "little brother".
It seems like Texas was a missed opportunity for the B1G.

True. I just don’t see Texas A&M leaving the SEC either.

Theres lots of speculation on which teams are (realistically) in play. It’s interesting to read the different takes and arguments for each of them. I still say that if the Big Ten allows Florida State to go to the SEC without a fight it will be a massive mistake they will regret for years.

Notre Dame will only join some conference at the absolute last minute. If they have any intention of brining along a partner like Stanford, then they can’t wait that long. Once the ACC dominos begin to fall things will move quickly IMO.

True. I just don’t see Texas A&M leaving the SEC either.

Theres lots of speculation on which teams are (realistically) in play. It’s interesting to read the different takes and arguments for each of them. I still say that if the Big Ten allows Florida State to go to the SEC without a fight it will be a massive mistake they will regret for years.

Notre Dame will only join some conference at the absolute last minute. If they have any intention of brining along a partner like Stanford, then they can’t wait that long. Once the ACC dominos begin to fall things will move quickly IMO.
We disagree on FSU--I'd happily let the SEC take them. Same with Clemson. Neither add much to the Big Ten.
UNC and UVa are the big fish in the ACC which I'm sure the SEC will be fighting us on them
I'd rather take Georgia Tech than FSU as well.
Notre Dame eventually joins the Big Ten--whether that's in a year, a decade or 25 years--it's inevitable.

FSU is not AAU, which appears to be a hard requirement for B1G presidents. As such the only ticket into Florida would be Miami, who is somewhat marginal in terms of tv viewership/revenue but the B1G likely would add them anyway just to get into the important state. The other Florida AAU school option is USF. With a Tampa location that region is filled with midwestern retirees and B1G alum, but obviously the school does not generate enough interest to garner an invite.
For the presidents but is meaningless for FOX, however the presidents cast the votes so yes. FOX desperately wants to be in FL I'm not absolutely sure it's that big of a deal for the presidents. They like to be in other states but with their requirements and current and past relationships are very important. I will say that FSU is working very hard toward that AAU designation so maybe they make it the next time. I still think push come to shove FSU makes it in.

Here's a tidbit if the BIG has to take NCS to get UNC they will and until recently that was a no go.

Reactions: LMTLION
In terms of the ACC, I would estimate that FSU and Clemson comprise 25% of the tv valuation. If they leave, the conference is at best a Big 12 valuation and the dominoes fall immediately. I think FSU, Clemson, Miami, Duke, UNC comprise 50%+ of that valuation and without them the conference is closer to a Group of 5 valuation than a power conference. In terms of AAU in the ACC it is UNC, Duke, UVA , Miami, GT and Pitt.

That list is pretty consistent year to year, with the exception of Colorado who got a Prime bump . You literally can use that list and select AAU schools with high tv viewership (not already in the SEC) to determine the next candidates. It’s the methodology that’s been used for USC/UCLA and Oregon/Washington expansions.
That's the thing that kills the narrative that FOX is running the whole show, but it just so happened with USC and UCLA the stars all aligned.

That's the thing that kills the narrative that FOX is running the whole show, but it just so happened with USC and UCLA the stars all aligned.
I need to amend my post. I keep forgetting Stanford and Cal are entering the ACC and they are obviously AAU members. Still not used to pacific coast universities being in an Atlantic coast conference!

Reactions: psu00 and PSU4U
For the presidents but is meaningless for FOX, however the presidents cast the votes so yes. FOX desperately wants to be in FL I'm not absolutely sure it's that big of a deal for the presidents. They like to be in other states but with their requirements and current and past relationships are very important. I will say that FSU is working very hard toward that AAU designation so maybe they make it the next time. I still think push come to shove FSU makes it in.

Here's a tidbit if the BIG has to take NCS to get UNC they will and until recently that was a no go.

From what I’ve read FSU is pushing for AAU status. It’s been a while since I dug into the details but they appear to have a similar situation to Nebraska where they have to reorganize their Med school/ health system which was part of what was holding them back. I suspect FSU gets AAU status whenever the next round of acceptances are offered.

Kansas has been soliciting the Big 10 for years and it's only recently that the door has slightly cracked open. They are doing all the right things to make themselves attractive in football. They have always had the other things in order.
Kansas seems like Illinois with a little better basketball. I agree it looks and smells like a B10 school but so do Indiana and Purdue but that doesn't mean they deserve a bid.

Reactions: PSU4U and psu00
From what I’ve read FSU is pushing for AAU status. It’s been a while since I dug into the details but they appear to have a similar situation to Nebraska where they have to reorganize their Med school/ health system which was part of what was holding them back. I suspect FSU gets AAU status whenever the next round of acceptances are offered.
FSU is a high ranked school by US News & World Report, I believe #55. Say what you want about those rankings but it is a metric out there that carries weight. So academics should not be an issue and if they do get AAU status that is a bonus. I think they are the top prospect for the B10 after ND, of course.

If 24 is the number the B10 is looking at (who knows about that) then they must be looking at pods. So if FSU gets admitted they need at least a few other southeast schools, three more probably.

FSU is a high ranked school by US News & World Report, I believe #55. Say what you want about those rankings but it is a metric out there that carries weight. So academics should not be an issue and if they do get AAU status that is a bonus. I think they are the top prospect for the B10 after ND, of course.

If 24 is the number the B10 is looking at (who knows about that) then they must be looking at pods. So if FSU gets admitted they need at least a few other southeast schools, three more probably.
I’d like to see an eastern pod of Penn St, Florida State, Miami, North Carolina, Maryland, and Rutgers.

Reactions: NedFromYork
I’d like to see an eastern pod of Penn St, Florida State, Miami, North Carolina, Maryland, and Rutgers.
It would be one hell of a pod. The weakness with the pod setup is that you still end up with a pod in the upper Midwest without traditional powers, somewhat mimicking the east west imbalance that we have had for years. The three other pods would be gauntlets.

If ATM is in play to leave the SEC (even if it is unlikely), why wouldn't Texas also be in play? Texas seems like they would be a much better fit for the B10 than ATM.

I haven’t heard any rumblings about Texas. In all reality they’d be out as they’ve literally just joined the SEC with Oklahoma. They also have that southern pull which drags them to the SEC over Big 10, (especially where their fans are concerned).

It would be one hell of a pod. The weakness with the pod setup is that you still end up with a pod in the upper Midwest without traditional powers, somewhat mimicking the east west imbalance that we have had for years. The three other pods would be gauntlets.

True. I was thinking maybe putting Notre Dame in there (assuming they join) with Iowa, Nebraska, and Wisconsin? So many variables depending on who joins the conference.

I just liked the idea of Penn St having a more eastern presence rather than an eastern pod of ACC teams and PSU stuck out of place in a Midwest pod with Ohio State, Indiana, Purdue etc.

True. I was thinking maybe putting Notre Dame in there (assuming they join) with Iowa, Nebraska, and Wisconsin? So many variables depending on who joins the conference.

I just liked the idea of Penn St having a more eastern presence rather than an eastern pod of ACC teams and PSU stuck out of place in a Midwest pod with Ohio State, Indiana, Purdue etc.
I similarly like the idea of PSU in an Eastern pod. You have a good idea about putting ND in the central type of pod. Alternatively, if the rumors about Texas A&M are actually true and they’re crazy enough to join our conference, they could enhance that central pod as well.

Reactions: psu00
Kansas seems like Illinois with a little better basketball. I agree it looks and smells like a B10 school but so do Indiana and Purdue but that doesn't mean they deserve a bid.
They are acceptable from a Big 10 presidents' point of view but as I've said many times down the list. And a Midwest team like Kansas or even a rocky mountain high team like CO or any other in the west or southwest it all depends on how it shakes out in the ACC.

And on that note, it is now almost certain that FSU and Clemson as a pair will not make the Big 10 this cycle unless something changes but GT is rising. Please don't kill the messenger on that one. FSU is not completely out of it but would need someone to be an ally, IMO GT would fit that bill or of course a ND or UNC.

Last edited:
It looks like Clemson and FSU as a pair are both out of the Big 10 running this cycle unless something big changes. At this point I don't see Clemson making it in. I and a lot of other people thought they were a lock now it seems that is not the case at all.

Last edited:
It looks like Clemson and FSU as a pair are both out of the Big 10 running this cycle unless something big changes. At this point I don't see Clemson making it in. I and a lot of other people thought they were a lock now it seems that is not the case at all.
Clemson doesn’t surprise me too much- although I’d love to have them in the conference. It just seemed like their academic status held them back and South Carolina is relatively small compared to Florida or North Carolina to push for an exemption.

I still say the Big Ten letting FSU go to the SEC without a fight will be a big mistake.

Clemson doesn’t surprise me too much- although I’d love to have them in the conference. It just seemed like their academic status held them back and South Carolina is relatively small compared to Florida or North Carolina to push for an exemption.

I still say that if the Big Ten allows FSU to go to the SEC without a fight it’ll be a big mistake they’ll regret for years.
My info is FSU at this time has work to do and needs a travel partner. If they could help land a UNC a ND or even a GT imo they would easily get in. In the past the Big has offered ND VA UNC and GT striking out each time but the money then was much different. Down the road I think if FSU wants in they get in but not in this cycle.

I think the news to break that everyone is waiting on is on a settlement or some other agreement on taking their (FSU) broadcast rights with them or something along those lines.

Last edited:
My info is FSU at this time has work to do and needs a travel partner. If they could help land a UNC a ND or even a GT imo they would easily get in. In the past the Big has offered ND VA UNC and GT striking out each time but the money then was much different.

So what have you heard regarding Miami vs Georgia Tech? It’s seems GT is supposedly in demand while Miami is not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT