ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread Maryland Dual Discussion/PBP

I don't have an issue with the coach complaining about 174. His guy was clearly overmatched and that match could have been over, but at the same time it's not penn states join to protect the kid.
And the kid needs to at least try. Carter was frustrated that the kid was trying to lose and get out of there that he refused the last TD then taunted him a bit, and waited to be on top to stick him. Maybe if the kid put up any resistance, Carter would have just taken the TDs.

To put the 149 match into perspective, our unranked wrestler, who went into the season as our fourth option at that weight, held the 14th ranked wrestler to a regular decision. That, my friends, is depth. I hope everyone appreciates how special this team (dynasty) is. Winning a match or a dual meet is not a birthright. It is earned. Appreciate it. It won't last forever. (Just ask Iowa.) Gratefully enjoy the fun ride.

Way back, I used to work with a guy who is a “wig” at Md school of pharmacy. He’s a wrestling fan and was at the match. From what he could gather, Clemson was upset with Carter’s sportsmanship. He went out of his way to embarrass a kid who did not belong on the mat. I offered that getting pins is the objective of the game. My old Bud replied: “what the fook is one extra point in a blowout”.
"He went out of his way to embarrass a kid who did not belong on the mat. "

Well then Alex if he doesn't belong there-why did YOU put him there?

Just watched the 141 match (hadn't seen it previously, just listened to Byers). The scramble in the first period went forever (Clemson whined about it), but in fairness, they were never in a true stalemate position, Beau continued to work to improve and score the takedown. Admittedly, I'm biased, but I have no problem with the ref letting them wrestle through that. It was a nice win for Beau over someone that beat Mathews by major decision this year.

On one hand good for the Maryland Coach sticking up for his guy. On the other hand, grow the F up this isn't 8U Wrestling. It's not Casey or Carter's Fault that the grown a** man that you put on the mat is too terrified to compete. As a coach you either motivate him to compete or put somebody else out there who wants to be there.

I don't get it. That kid has probably put tens of thousands of hours into training, conditioning, and competing for well over a decade to become a Division 1 Wrestler. He's suddenly gifted an opportunity to wrestle an all-time great in a match where no one alive expects him to have a shot, and that's the result?

This was house money. It should have been Vespa vs. Lee or Todrank vs. Nolf. You are going to lose. Badly. Why not let it fly and at least have fun in the moment? It was like his only goal was to not be pinned, and he would achieve it by allowing Carter to Tech him. Hang em up bro, this sport isn't for you.
If Kerry McCoy was still coach, can you imagine him barking at Cael and Casey? 😆

When watching the match , psu had a few with limited matches

Does anyone else need to hit a tournament in February, or will they get enough matches with the remaining schedule/ BIGs (baring no one forfeits a match

I don't have an issue with the coach complaining about 174. His guy was clearly overmatched and that match could have been over, but at the same time it's not penn states join to protect the kid.
There's complaining....then there is poking an opposing coach in the chest. Different ballgame when you put your hands on someone.

Imagine if an Iowa wrestler would have tweeted that about an opposing coach. You guys would've been all over that talking about class and respect. I guess it's a culture thing. 🤷 🤣

We’ve all been broken at one point or another but man that kid should have just thrown the kitchen sink at him and taken a beating.

Reactions: goldenanimal
so Self righteous good job Turk

NLI.gif

So this is a real question…was that Maryland coach seriously complaining that there were too many pins? Is that real?

If so, how freaking pathetic.
I think he was bitching that Starocci wouldn’t just take the tech when his kid gave up and was trying to lose.

Techs are for wussies.
I remember several years ago, PSU had a dual with Oklahoma State and Jason needed only a TD for a technical fall. He did all that he could to avoid just a TD. He wanted feet to back. Didn’t get it, but the idea was to look for something better. Carter did the same thing, and he was right to do so.

Carter is opening it up even more this year, having not even spent an entire 7 minutes on the mat yet. MM and Carter seem to have the same style on the feet. Iron sharpens iron.

Look, every wrestler should ultimately be trying to pin the other guy every time they go on the mat. How many times have we seen a PSU wrestler build his lead near a TF, but when they get close - go for a pinning combination as last score that will put them past TF so if they hit it, they get the pin.... if no pin, TF. A HC complaining about an opponent pinning his wrestler is beyond weak.

I remember several years ago, PSU had a dual with Oklahoma State and Jason needed only a TD for a technical fall. He did all that he could to avoid just a TD. He wanted feet to back. Didn’t get it, but the idea was to look for something better. Carter did the same thing, and he was right to do so.
Levi tried the same thing a couple weeks ago and the rev awarded the dreaded phantom TD to foil the plan.

Levi did it early this year also, except the ref gave a mercy takedown while Levi was attempting to avoid it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT