ADVERTISEMENT

Official PSU - Buffalo Game Thread

I assume you are holding yourself out to be a medical expert.

At least I admitted I never heard the term compound used in that way, because it is not the term used in current fracture description terminology. Basic knowledge does not equate to expert knowledge, but more to layman’s knowledge. And I will leave it at that.
MAJOR CONCERNS going forward:
OL
Secondary & LB pass coverage
--TE coverage has been an issue for several years now
Offensive play calling is too often questionable
DL pass rush not as strong as advertised
Blitz packages are either badly timed/wrong gap or leave gaping holes in the secondary.

What say you?

So, given that last week was nothing more than a glorified scrimmage, let's hope that the improvement, typically expected between game 1 & 2, actually happens between game 2 & 3. Gave up way too much rushing yardage tonight.

Missed the game while driving back from Philly - worth watching on DVR? My FIL texted that we were down at the half - should I just read the whole 'in game' thread?

Dotson is not the biggest or fastest receiver, but he somehow plays fast in a football uniform. That’s what made him so impressive on his recruiting tape. He is a damn good elusive man with the ball in his hands.

If you read the in game thread, you will think we lost by 30.

Ok - gonna do both then. Here goes...

giphy-6.gif

As evidenced tonight, obviously Clifford can run, but there did seem to be about 2 instances in which he kept the ball that I thought the RB would have been a better decision...
Hopefully just part of the growth/ experience

Yep

Missed the game while driving back from Philly - worth watching on DVR? My FIL texted that we were down at the half - should I just read the whole 'in game' thread?

Don't read the game thread. It's pitiful. A bunch of hysterical shriekers screaming that the world is ending.
Watch the game and see how we woke up in the 2nd half and remembered that Friermuth was on the team.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Everyone knows we can’t win every game 79-7 right???? Oh wait, people bitched about that game too.

What you tend to miss is that some people critique performance based on the play needed to be competitive in our conference -- what's necessary for a championship. It's not hard to spot things, even in a 79-7 win, that aren't going to fly when the opposition is Ohio State. If you want to celebrate mediocrity, or getting beat at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball by a MAC team, then so be it.

We don't look like a team that is fundamentally sound on defense. And I sense that our offensive line is going to get man-handled when they face a stout DL. We do have excellent skill players on offense though. QB/RB/TE/WR -- no problems there, just future stars.

Reactions: HunterPSU96
OL
Blitz packages are either badly timed/wrong gap or leave gaping holes in the secondary.

What say you?

Agreed. The dropped passes (Hamler), ugh. The fumbles by Slade, ugh. Mis-tackles, ugh. Same issue as forever on 3rd and long on D (WTF- how can we be so bad)

Strengths:
Jordan Stoudt
P Freiermuth
S Clifford (as mentioned, some if his runs were ill-advised; get rid of ball sometimes)
Receivers did pretty well
John Reid
Micah (would like more from him).
I think S Simmons should play more

Not strengths, but happy we showed the ability to do some adjusts post halftime on O and D.

What you tend to miss is that some people critique performance based on the play needed to be competitive in our conference -- what's necessary for a championship. It's not hard to spot things, even in a 79-7 win, that aren't going to fly when the opposition is Ohio State. If you want to celebrate mediocrity, or getting beat at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball by a MAC team, then so be it.

We don't look like a team that is fundamentally sound on defense. And I sense that our offensive line is going to get man-handled when they face a stout DL. We do have excellent skill players on offense though. QB/RB/TE/WR -- no problems there, just future stars.

The stupid never stops.

what's that -- Stout without a touchback? He squibb quicked it. PSU offsides on the kick, so PSU will have to rekick the KO

LOL, so after moving back 5 yards, Stout kicks it out of the end zone.
Try and explain the squib at this point in game. W T

OL

What say you?
Fans, definitely have to add us to the list. Always a question mark it seems. :)

Don't read the game thread. It's pitiful. A bunch of hysterical shriekers screaming that the world is ending.
Watch the game and see how we woke up in the 2nd half and remembered that Friermuth was on the team.

I mean, are we 'Florida State' bad? As in, the formation below and almost losing to Louisiana-Monroe tonight?

ED6CCAHXsAExBzi

I assume you are holding yourself out to be a medical expert.

At least I admitted I never heard the term compound used in that way, because it is not the term used in current fracture description terminology. Basic knowledge does not equate to expert knowledge, but more to layman’s knowledge. And I will leave it at that.

Why would you assume I’m holding myself out as a medical expert? No, I’m just a schmoe (in this subject matter) with basic knowledge of medicine you receive as a “consumer” of medical services.

Again, look all over the internet, for all references to compound fractures by medical professionals. They’re all up to date, and they use "compound fracture" interchangeably with "open fracture." And it's not some well-kept medical secret ... everyone knows this. The announcers referenced it, the people on the board (other than you) understood it ... if I walked down the street and stopped 50 random strangers of sound mind they would know it. If I knocked on the door of 50 random doctors and asked them what a compound fracture was, they'd give me the response I'd expect.

But what really capped off your issue is when you claimed that "compound fracture" usually means a bone broken in multiple places. THAT is not a thing. I don't know where you dreamt that up, but that just doesn't happen ... maybe if you found a drunken hobo, or a child, they might give you that answer ... but, no, it doesn't "usually" mean that.

It's like if we were talking about the biggest thing on the end of your foot. I'd say it was the big toe. You'd make some snarky remark like "how do you know, did you take off your gloves?" and I'd respond that it's not necessary to take of my gloves, because I don't have gloves on my feet. You'd respond that current super ultra modern terminology references that big thing on the end of your foot as the hallux, and that "big toe" usually references that big thing on the end of your hand, and that it's archaic in modern phalanges vernacular. I'd point out that "big toe" and "hallux" are synonymous, and you'd claim you never heard of "big toe" being referenced, even though you just said it usually references something on the end of your hand.

So, anyway, the dude had a compound fracture, meaning his bone pierced the skin, and you don't need an x-ray to see that ... the Buffalo punter is hurt badly, PSU won and poured it on in the 2nd half. You're a little bit more knowledgeable now, to boot ... so it's a win/win for you.

Unlike OSU’s 24 point win over FAU or Michigan’s double OT win over Army. Apparently they are okay for Big conference games, but our 79-7 and 45-13 wins aren’t enough....got it.

Unlike OSU’s 24 point win over FAU or Michigan’s double OT win over Army. Apparently they are okay for Big conference games, but our 79-7 and 45-13 wins aren’t enough....got it.

Did we win, yes. Did we look good, no. Will we be 8-4, yes. A good D will eat this Oline up

Agreed. The dropped passes (Hamler), ugh. The fumbles by Slade, ugh. Mis-tackles, ugh. Same issue as forever on 3rd and long on D (WTF- how can we be so bad)

Strengths:
Jordan Stoudt
P Freiermuth
S Clifford (as mentioned, some if his runs were ill-advised; get rid of ball sometimes)
Receivers did pretty well
John Reid
Micah (would like more from him).
I think S Simmons should play more

Not strengths, but happy we showed the ability to do some adjusts post halftime on O and D.
Hamler only dropped one. I don't think that's a problem.

Slade fumbles are a concern. I think PSU needs to pick a starting RB. Brown looked good tonight but only had 6 carries. Slade had 3.

I like PSU's corners but I'm concerned about Wade/Brisker at safety. I

Stout is amazing.

Slade fumbles are a concern. I think PSU needs to pick a starting RB. Brown looked good tonight but only had 6 carries. Slade had 3.

Stout is amazing.

Hamler actually had 2 drops, tho’ the 2nd one could be debated that it was a little low. I thought it was completely catchable. Agree with you on all fronts above

Stout is amazing.
########

Concerned about the OLine not opening up holes for our RBs.

Reactions: bdgan
No. Look, we played a crappy first half, without a doubt. However, they made adjustments and blew their doors off in the 2nd half. It happens.
Exactly...and Buffalo, although not a great team, is not bad by any means. They’re as good or better than Pitt and we beat them 45-13 regardless of the stats or the halftime score. You play a bad game against a decent team and win by 32...not exactly something to be too worked up about.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT