ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Olympic Trials match and discussion thread

Why? It doesn't make JB a better human being. 2 things that never go on my pedestal or get worship. Athletes and fking politicians. Ya know who does? People that defend my country, and those that risk their lives for others. Gold medals don't make the man a better man than someone else. If that were the case, folks like Armstrong, Tiger, OJ and hundreds of others would still be heroes. A hero is a great parent, not money and medals.
I put no one on a pedestal until you personally earned it for me or from me. Right now it’s Mom And Dad and a few other people on the planet the rest I do not trust.

All these people talking crap on social media about Mitchell, saying he deserved the head smash for wrestling after the whistle and all.

How dare they after all Mitchell has accomplished in wrestling. Junior world champ, NCAA finalist as a freshman, etc.

Is that how this works?
They sound like stupid girls in those online videos about dating how they demand so much for men, but the instance of man says she should look a certain way or weigh a certain weight. They get all upset. It’s called a double standard.

Reactions: Ski and danoftw
If these guys want no harassment, or comments from friends in the stands, why do we even allow people in? Why have people even watch these things? You want people to care about the sport and be passionate sbout the sport but not even make a peep?

Maybe we should just not have sports so people behave? Or maybe these guys should get a thicker skin and understand that college or freestyle wrestling isn’t more special than hockey, basketball, football. Tom Brady must have a skin made out of about 100 foot titanium with the kind of violent rhetoric that’s been thrown at him compared to a guy like Jordan Burroughs.

For burrows, my wife who knows nothing about wrestling made a comment that he sure takes a lot of time pulling up his socks. She asked 35 year old man can’t buy better socks. I said that Mitchell pushes the pace hard and he’s older and he’s just stalling.
Yeah, the sock thing was unbelievable. JB was literally playing with the ref.

IDK, ask JB. He's the one who asked the question. But yeah, I might give "cured cancer" a pass.
Burroughs is owed nothing by me. He represented the country has benefited him more than me, and he gets no more respect than the guy taking my fast food order for me. He gets basic human respect, that’s it nothing more I do not care how sacrifice, because I could show you, hundreds and hundreds of people I know who sacrificed to help others. I know people taking care of sick relatives, on their own, gone to war and suffered serious entries, giving everything they had. He’s a guy that got to make a successful living playing a sport, he is owed nothing by me or anyone else because he’s gotten his by his own efforts .

Yeah, the sock thing was unbelievable. JB was literally playing with the ref.
My wife is a smart cookie but knows nothing about wrestling and here she is watching this match with me and notices it right away. Of course she is a mom and a Nana now and you do know when kids are screwing off.

• Haha
Reactions: diggerpup
about Mitchell, saying he deserved the head smash for wrestling after the whistle
I don't know about deserved, but I certainly understand JB having reached his limit.

Love Mitchell's energy and vibe. Continuing to wrestle past the whistle to the degree he does seems somewhat unique to him. In society and sport, deviating from the norm like that is usually met with some form of rebuke. I trust Mitchell understands this.

I doubt he will continue to wrestle past the whistle for his career. And when a match is reasonably lost (such a wide margin, so late), I hope that will be part of his future considerations.

I don't know about deserved, but I certainly understand JB having reached his limit.

Love Mitchell's energy and vibe. Continuing to wrestle past the whistle to the degree he does seems somewhat unique to him. In society and sport, deviating from the norm like that is usually met with some form of rebuke. I trust Mitchell understands this.

I doubt he will continue to wrestle past the whistle for his career. And when a match is reasonably lost (such a wide margin, so late), I hope that will be part of his future considerations.
If I was in his league he would piss me off to no end. I’m not saying he’s wrong, I can see how it would aggravate someone.

And I love it.

Burroughs is owed nothing by me. He represented the country has benefited him more than me, and he gets no more respect than the guy taking my fast food order for me. He gets basic human respect, that’s it nothing more I do not care how sacrifice, because I could show you, hundreds and hundreds of people I know who sacrificed to help others. I know people taking care of sick relatives, on their own, gone to war and suffered serious entries, giving everything they had. He’s a guy that got to make a successful living playing a sport, he is owed nothing by me or anyone else because he’s gotten his by his own efforts .
Ok. But what does that say about yelling 'career is over?' Is that the kind of basic human respect to which you speak?

I believe basic human dignity is better preserved when mercy is shown to the vanquished.

Who gives a s!!t what a fan yelled at a athlete. If an athlete is that worried about what a fan or fanbase has to say maybe they need counseling or just don’t compete. As far as willie goes, dude try not to get on social media when you’re drunk. Love you content on you’re show but when you get on after to many buds you’re credibility takes a hit. You sound like those whining bitches on HR.

Ok. But what does that say about yelling 'career is over?' Is that the kind of basic human respect to which you speak?

I believe basic human dignity is better preserved when mercy is shown to the vanquished.
Why is Burroughs insulated from banter? Him and manning blew kisses to the same section and talked smack after MM match , then he lost so what do you expect to happen ? JB has been poking the bear (or the nittany lion) for years on twitter and always biased against penn state guys when announcing. Manning is always running his mouth and just recently accused penn state of cheating and lied about the Suriano situation for the whole twitter verse to see .,I’m from NJ and known JB since high school and have rooted for him for over a decade but the guy is a raging Narcissist and a sore loser ..hell it was less than a year ago JB was talking smack about chance for not medaling and claiming he would have

Imagine if Spencer makes the Olympics how the entire world will get to see his mom make a spectacle of herself. Yes, wrestling fans have seen the video but with the Olympics it will include a couple of billion more people.
She should go with it. Imagine how much money she could make being a national spokesperson for contact lenses or better yet Lasik. Destroying your glasses publicly as a positive expression of being able to see again without them, could become a 'thing'..

Why is Burroughs insulated from banter? Him and manning blew kisses to the same section and talked smack after MM match , then he lost so what do you expect to happen ? JB has been poking the bear (or the nittany lion) for years on twitter and always biased against penn state guys when announcing. Manning is always running his mouth and just recently accused penn state of cheating and lied about the Suriano situation for the whole twitter verse to see .,I’m from NJ and known JB since high school and have rooted for him for over a decade but the guy is a raging Narcissist and a sore loser ..hell it was less than a year ago JB was talking smack about chance for not medaling and claiming he would have
Exactly , peace out JB

For those who don't like criteria, go to confession and tell the priest that for contrition you'll watch the Suriano-Fix 26-minute HS match on a loop for a full day.
Well I have seen that one and it was actually entertaining, but having it repeat often would not. How about this, retain criteria but have it only carry over into a 2-3 minute OT? I find that option far better, granted not perfect.

Since I'm the one who made the Iowa and Downey comparisons, let me be clear:

I agree with Verk:

I have never booed or heckled athletes. Booing Burroughs during the matches is one thing -- he took multiple lungers and got chippy against a home athlete -- but afterward makes the match about him and not about Jason. I celebrate our guys.

Unfortunately that's unrealistic. It has never happened that way anywhere on earth in any high-stakes, high-intensity event.

So if a few guys yelled at him -- didn't throw batteries or coins at him, didn't slur him, didn't threaten him or his family -- then I'm not getting worked up over a professional athlete getting yelled at. Burroughs will somehow survive. Doesn't make it right, just what it is.

And the public response to those fans was way over the top and mockable. One fan yelling "your career is over" is not newsworthy. It's either an emotional overreaction (which IMO is the case with Willie) or an attempt to smear an entire fanbase by association.
Pretty much. This is it.

This was a JC centric response, not an indictment on the fans or fanbase. The one fan yelled something I wouldn’t. But I also wouldn’t cover my kids ears if they heard it or say something to the guy. It didn’t cross into inappropriate.

I really think that wrestling media overplays how much JB means to fans. I am a grow the sport fan, never wrestled, and watched him all the way back to college. He’s great but he wrestled for the enemy and beats my team’s guys domestically since.

I’m not a Bulls fan, so even when he was in his prime, I didn’t think a ton about Michael Jordan unless he played my team or was in international play. It’s just not how sports fans act. I’m actually kind of shocked the media has gone here with that thinking. But again, every wrestling media member is essentially a beat reporter. There’s such a small circle of things to report on that if you burn a bridge, or upset someone inside it, you’re done.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ski
what do you expect to happen ?
What I expected might happen did happen, but that's not the same as what could happen.

I wasn't exonerating JB or Manning. I simply prefer others' bad actions not affect my own behavior.

Just hoping for something better while not putting any faith in men, is all, I guess.

Now that the match and the shock is behind us, who didn't think that fireman's/dump by Ringer on Brooks wasn't a friggin thing of beauty. Wow! I even think Brooks had a quick WTF moment? Then to see him keep his composure and get back to work was equally awesome.

The Zahid match was not my favorite, and was unpleasantly surprising as well.

I am far less convenienced than I was yesterday morning, that this version of AB has a chance against DT. 1 of 3 sure, 2 of 3, now that is a very tall order indeed.

Reactions: Brian LB-U
I've never believed that Aaron Brooks had a very good chance to beat DT 2 out of 3, as much as I love Aaron. Obviously, he has a MUCH better chance than Dieringer, Zahid or anyone else of course. Nice to see so much competition in the room, but it's tough seeing PSU guys going up against each other at 65 and 86KG (not to mention the NLWC/PSU matchups at 74KG).

Any chance we can focus on Nolf’s victory over Burroughs rather than what one ‘fan’ said after the match?

It seems like this is a distraction and a great disservice to Nolf’s excellent game plan and performance to have his win overshadowed by a discussion on…*checks notes*…proper arena etiquette.

Any chance we can focus on Nolf’s victory over Burroughs rather than what one ‘fan’ said after the match?

It seems like this is a distraction and a great disservice to Nolf’s excellent game plan and performance to have his win overshadowed by a discussion on…*checks notes*…proper arena etiquette.
Was so happy to see Jason get it done. He’s been getting better and bette, and he used an excellent strategy—he’s ready. Today is gonna be tough to watch in some ways. Lion blood will be spilt, and watching DT tear up about what Dake is going through hit me hard. But Jason Nolf is a warrior, 1st class.

Was so happy to see Jason get it done. He’s been getting better and bette, and he used an excellent strategy—he’s ready. Today is gonna be tough to watch in some ways. Lion blood will be spilt, and watching DT tear up about what Dake is going through hit me hard. But Jason Nolf is a warrior, 1st class.
Nolf has been so close for several years now and I really want him to break through and make the Olympic team, but it is difficult to root against Dake for the reasons you mentioned. We are in for a few exciting battles today for sure.

Tomorrow is here and I can't wait either. While the wrestling was fantastic, the craziest moment of the day from my seat was when Spencer's Mom and Larry were walking up the steps in my section. First I saw a big LEE on Larry's shirt and then Mom right behind him, no glasses. I elbowed by brother and said "That's Spencer Lee's mom. Then, spontaneously, everyone around us, including the older lady next to us, started taking their glasses off and reaching into their pockets for their glasses and holding them out. I don't think Mom saw this. I almost passed out laughing.
Don’t let the wrestling media know about this, or else we’ll get a mean Tweet about it.

Reactions: Ski and WEAREPSU_LI
She should go with it. Imagine how much money she could make being a national spokesperson for contact lenses or better yet Lasik. Destroying your glasses publicly as a positive expression of being able to see again without them, could become a 'thing'..
Lens Crafters says hello Cathy!

25 minutes out!

When:
Saturday, April 20 at 10 am - 2:30 pm EDT; and at 6:30 - 10 pm.

Streaming/TV:
Streaming: Peacock, NBCSports.com, NBC Sports app
TV: USA Network - Day 2 Finals (6:30 to 10 pm)

Session 3 (10 am to 2:30 pm) 4 mats will be streamed, as well as a Quad box option.
Session 4 (6:30 to 10 pm) streamed and on TV.

Session 3:
Round 1 of Best-of-3 Championship Series, all styles and weight classes, plus Round 2 of Best-of-3 Championship Series in the five weight classes not yet qualified for the Olympics. Also the completion of the Challenge Tournament: consolation semifinals, consolation finals, third place bouts and True third (if necessary).

Session 4:
Round 3 of Best-of-3 Championship Series (if necessary) in the five weight classes not yet qualified for the Olympics. Followed by Round 2 and Round 3 (if necessary) in the 13 weight classes qualified for the Olympic Games. The session concludes with the presentation of the U.S. Olympic Team.

Radio:
98.7 State College radio (local coverage only - no streaming). Saturday - last couple hours.

PBP:
Thanks again to @SlipperyPete12 for his hard work. His extremely detailed posts gotta take away from his enjoyment of watching just so that others will have good, accurate information. He's got my nod for Poster of the Year.

Mat assignments/Brackets:
https://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/opentournaments/VerifyPassword.jsp?tournamentId=853157132

I still can't believe I'm rooting for Thomas f'ing Gilman but here we are. I'm hoping nobody around Spencer's mom is wearing open-toed shoes because there's gonna be some glass on the floor.

57kg Best of 3 Championship- Thomas Gilman vs. Spencer Lee

P1:
Gilman's ready to go & bouncing around on the mat.
Here we go!
Hand fighting in the center, Tying up & trying to horse each other around
Gilman shoots for a leg, nothing
Back to center, tying up, Lee half shot, Gilman chest lock, stalemate, restart
Tying up in the center
Lee warned for passivity, restart
Tying up again, Lee looking for underhooks, pushing Gilman to the edge, out of bounds, grounded, restart
Tying up & fighting for position
Passivity on Lee, on the shot clock
Tying up in the center
Point Gilman, shot clock, 1-0
Gilman shoots, action stopped, potentially dangerous?
Passivity warning Gilman
Lee shoots, gets a leg, elevates it & pushes Gilman off the mat, step out point Lee, 1-1
Time expires
1-1, advantage Lee

P2:
Gilman pushes forward & they tie up.
Lee looking for an underhook, nothing
Gilman shoots, nothing, head snapping, Lee reaches for a leg, nothing
Back to center tying up & pushing, looking for an opening
Gilman with a half shot, nothing
Lee with a half shot, Gilman blocks him off
2-min left
Lee with a swing single, gets the leg & is working, Gilman grabs Lee's foot & Lee works for the TD, 3-1
Lee has an arm locked up and gets a turn for another 2, 5-1
Restart, Tying up, Gilman looking for an opening, Lee with great defense
Gilman shoots, gets a leg, Lee tries fighting him off, Gilman elevates Lee & returns him to the mat for 4, but they only call it for 2 & Gilman is challenging. It should be either 5-3 Lee or 5-5, advantage Gilman after the challenge.
Challenge Gilman, 37-sec left.
2 points confirmed, Challenge for 4 lost, point Lee, 6-3 Lee
Tying up and blocking off as time expires.

Thomas Gilman DEC Spencer Lee 6-3

Spence Lee wins Match #1, I think this is best of three.

Reactions: danoftw
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT