ADVERTISEMENT

The Ferrari Family Circus

He does because he won a U17 world medal way back whenever so yes, very flawed. I don't think it'll change though going forward.

Facundo qualified for the same reason but he also you know ... was actually trying to qualify for OTT (and he did, so he would have gotten an ORS even if he didn't previously qualify)
Yeah, it seems like a really easy fix would be that if you don't even qualify for OTTs then you were never seriously training for the Olympics and you lose the eligibility. Just qualifying for the trials doesn't seem like too high of a bar to clear to prove you are actually a serious contender for the Olympic team and deserve an extra year to pursue your Olympic dream. AJ didn't even try to qualify for the OTTs, and that doesn't really sit well with me.

Ferrari is a practically guaranteed finalist with at least two years* of eligibility, Iowa desparately needs one guy at that tier. That they couldn't work something out probably says more about Ferrari than Iowa at this point, but maybe Iowa is finally getting the idea that any publicity isn't good publicity. Ferrari delivered multiple bad headlines to Iowa without once putting on a black and gold singlet.

* The eligibility discussion in this thread, premised on Ferrari actually using whatever eligibility he has remaining, is hilarious.

Ferrari is a practically guaranteed finalist with at least two years* of eligibility, Iowa desparately needs one guy at that tier. That they couldn't work something out probably says more about Ferrari than Iowa at this point, but maybe Iowa is finally getting the idea that any publicity isn't good publicity. Ferrari delivered multiple bad headlines to Iowa without once putting on a black and gold singlet.

* The eligibility discussion in this thread, premised on Ferrari actually using whatever eligibility he has remaining, is hilarious.
"Practically guaranteed finalist" is a huge stretch. This is a guy who needed SV1 to beat NQ Glazier (until his double finger salute to the Iowa parents section changed the "official" result to an L). He won 4 years ago and hasn't really wrestles since. After all that time off and all that has happened since then, it takes a huge leap of faith to think he'll be able to flip the switch and immediately return to that level.

"Practically guaranteed finalist" is a huge stretch. This is a guy who needed SV1 to beat NQ Glazier (until his double finger salute to the Iowa parents section changed the "official" result to an L). He won 4 years ago and hasn't really wrestles since. After all that time off and all that has happened since then, it takes a huge leap of faith to think he'll be able to flip the switch and immediately return to that level.
Yeah, I'm not putting a ton of stock into that early season match. There's no one at 197 besides Starocci, assuming he goes there, who can match Ferrari's skill. It shouldn't take much to get him into contention again, it's not like he's approaching 30.

If he could ever just wrestle for a season he would be, he's that talented, especially since he's what, like 23 now? Glazier and Joey Novak from Wyoming were both Top 15 level kids and AJ basically beat them off the couch after shrinking his body the past 2 months. As close as it was, Glazier never threatened to actually take AJ down. Plus, AJ has wrestled matches like that before since his dip to a knee style makes him virtually impossible to score on.

If ever there was a candidate for HEW it's AJ three years from now. Or maybe his fate is a complete breakdown of his body before his eligibility runs out ...

Yeah, I'm not putting a ton of stock into that early season match. There's no one at 197 besides Starocci, assuming he goes there, who can match Ferrari's skill. It shouldn't take much to get him into contention again, it's not like he's approaching 30.
The most important ability is availability. Ferrari has not had that ability in 2 years so far, both by his own doing.

Also, "he goes there" is a vastly under-used phrase in the Ferrari thread.

Reactions: okcpokefan12
Does he go d2 for a year then transfer back to d1 if he can keep his nose clean or is he to high on his horses and only stay d1?

Serious question though is Nebraska or Rutgers desperate enough to take him or maybe even an OU at least for a one year trial.

PSU going 184 Starocci, 197 Ferrari would be hilarious. I know it won’t happen (I don’t want it too), but it would be kinda awesome.

You know you are an idiot if even Iowa wants rid of you. These freak show won’t be able to find a place to take them.

Reading between the lines, does this mean the WWE doesn’t want AJF either?
Considering he previously stated that he was done with wrestling, and we all saw his video (attempting) shadow boxing......I would venture to say MMA doesn't want him (or he got wacked in the face by a guy) and neither does WWE. Pretty sad when your only option is to go back to college or get a job and become anonymous.

Reactions: hlstone
if he stays at iowa every cop in the city will have a picture of him on their dash saying if you see this man do not arrest under any circumstances!

You know you are an idiot if even Iowa wants rid of you. These freak show won’t be able to find a place to take them.
giphy.gif

The Olympic Redshirt is a friggin joke. Whatever the case, I seriously doubt he wrestles another 3 years.
Why wouldn't we want to support the Olympic process as completely as possible? Even to the extent that some knucklehead might take advantage. If it ends up bringing some value and we get a Kyle Snyder thru and AJ meathead takes advantage, that is OK in my mind. As you say, he will likely never use all of those years for various reasons anyway (Incarceration, MMA, HEW)

Why wouldn't we want to support the Olympic process as completely as possible? Even to the extent that some knucklehead might take advantage. If it ends up bringing some value and we get a Kyle Snyder thru and AJ meathead takes advantage, that is OK in my mind. As you say, he will likely never use all of those years for various reasons anyway (Incarceration, MMA, HEW)
For me it’s easy to support the process and not the charade.

For me it’s easy to support the process and not the charade.
Do you think coaches and athletes won't game the system?

It would be far worse to cost athletes a year of eligibility because they didn't go to OTTs due to an injury suffered after the folk season was over. For example. And yet that's a gaping loophole for coaches and athletes.

Why don't we just open it up to anyone that wants to pursue the Olympic team? Why not provide a potential extra year to everyone equally?

My issue is the "half-measure" approach of Olympic Redshirt eligibility. If it's going to be treated as a special exception for only the elite guys, then let's put real requirements on using it (such as requiring guys to enter any kind of qualifying event). Or...if it's going to be a generally applied extra year for anyone who wants to try, let's open it up to anyone.

I'd be OK with either, but I think they should pick one.

To earn an Oly redshirt you should have to attempt to qualify (edit - and finish in the top 10). Easy.

Injury? Forgettaboutit.
Congrats, you just cost Nico Megaludis his national title.

And for what purpose? So we can feel better about denying a year of eligibility to a guy who probably won't use it anyway?

BTW, any "top 10" provision will end the Olympic Shirt altogether. Nobody will use it, that risk is far too great. So now we're putting our disdain for one bad actor ahead of the entire USA Wrestling development program.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT