ADVERTISEMENT

The McAndrew Board OFFICIAL PSU-tOSU Gameday Thread!

He's just completely tied to JoePa ... and anyone who doesn't have some positive affiliation with JoePa will not be worthwhile. He's like the little kid whose dad dies ... and it doesn't matter which guy his mom dates thereafter - they won't be good enough (unless, oddly enough, they were around before his dad's death).

I'm pretty sure all of the unreasonably hyper-critical anti-Franklin guys suffer from that same neurosis.

But they're not all doxxers like PeetzPoolBoy.

The thing is I love Joe. My first born’s middle name is Joseph for a reason. There is nothing wrong with believing Joe was a legend who got screwed and deserves to be honored AND really like what Franklin is doing. I believe if Joe was still alive he would have wanted the program handed over to a guy like James. I guess it is just the pitfalls of the internet. I can make a conscious effort to not suffer fools in my everyday life. I have him on ignore, but it is unbelievably irksome that there are a group of people who believe they are the only “true fans” and that denigrating the current coach is means to show it. Just sad.

I haven't missed a Clemson home game in45 years so you have no clue.
Sure you are. This board is frequently visited by Clemson fans with a sudden and noticeable interest in Penn State. :rolleyes:

Why do I suspect that you're the Pitt troll who has also claimed to have held PSU season tickets for XX years?

Your schtick is so transparent.... Pitt Boy

You eloquently explained what I have been trying to communicate.....Franklin & Co. are clearly not the practice-week perfectionists that will allow PSU Football to rise above the "Good" category. As a PSU fan it is frustrating.

Tool Boy,

You are WITHOUT a doubt the village idiot of the McAndrew forum! You make previous clowns on this board like Miles Kaufman and 21 Guns look like football geniuses. Congrats on this amazing feat!
You eloquently explained what I have been trying to communicate.....Franklin & Co. are clearly not the practice-week perfectionists that will allow PSU Football to rise above the "Good" category. As a PSU fan it is frustrating.

Reactions: bison13
Tool Boy,

You are WITHOUT a doubt the village idiot of the McAndrew forum! You make previous clowns on this board like Miles Kaufman and 21 Guns look like football geniuses. Congrats on this amazing feat!
I especially like your double quotation. Well done :rolleyes:

Sure you are. This board is frequently visited by Clemson fans with a sudden and noticeable interest in Penn State. :rolleyes:

Why do I suspect that you're the Pitt troll who has also claimed to have held PSU season tickets for XX years?

I love college football, and as a Clemson fan I was pulling for PSU today. I have always been a Clemson fan and PoolBoy--with fans like you, PSU fans need no enemies

I love college football, and as a Clemson fan I was pulling for PSU today. I have always been a Clemson fan and PoolBoy--with fans like you, PSU fans need no enemies
Oh Pitt Boy, which dorm at PSU did you once claim to have lived in?

I love TM but he was a 3 star safety prospect for most schools. CJF believed in his talent and the kid is a total winner - he willed his way out there most of the time. His final year though, when dinged up and without Barkley, he was pretty average. My point is I'd love to see Franklin with someone like Hurts or Fields. Someone who can tuck the ball and really, really run with it.

As to your second point, I think Franklin has a higher ceiling than Richt, and the CFP is a different animal than the BCS.
Fair point on TM, but when healthy he was hardly holding the team back. On Franklin, I’d love to be wrong but Georgia fans were probably posting the same stuff after year 5. The team 4 years ago was better than this team.

Fair point on TM, but when healthy he was hardly holding the team back. On Franklin, I’d love to be wrong but Georgia fans were probably posting the same stuff after year 5. The team 4 years ago was better than this team.

Part of success in CFB is luck. Another part is keeping guys. Imagine this team with S. Miller, R. Bates, C. McGovern, and K. Givens (or Sanders)? Not to mention some of the transfer stuff that seems to have snakebit us - tough to lose guys who have been through camps and through weight training. I think we had 21 guys enter the portal last year - not all were big losses, but two were safeties (Humphries, Monroe) three were WR's (Polk, Johnson, Charles), four were LBs (Bowen, Darien, Faison-Walden, Miller), two were CBs (McPherson, Butler) and we lost Gellerstedt on the OL, Stevens at QB, and Dalton at TE. Even if not stars, that's a lot of depth to replace. Having to count on inexperienced talent is risky when it comes to playing teams like OSU who have years of stockpiled elite talent at every position.

Last edited by a moderator:
Part of success in CFB is luck. Another part is keeping guys. Imagine this team with S. Miller, R. Bates, C. McGovern, and K. Givens (or Sanders)? Not to mention some of the transfer stuff that seems to have snakebit us - tough to lose guys who have been through camps and through weight training. I think we had 21 guys enter the portal last year - not all were big losses, but two were safeties (Humphries, Monroe) three were WR's (Polk, Johnson, Charles), four were LBs (Bowen, Darien, Faison-Walden, Miller), two were CBs (McPherson, Butler) and we lost Gellerstedt on the OL, Stephens at QB, and Dalton at TE. Even if not stars, that's a lot of depth to replace. Having to count on inexperienced talent is risky when it comes to playing teams like OSU who have years of stockpiled elite talent at every position.

Man, really great point

Reactions: Storm at Sea
Part of success in CFB is luck. Another part is keeping guys. Imagine this team with S. Miller, R. Bates, C. McGovern, and K. Givens (or Sanders)? Not to mention some of the transfer stuff that seems to have snakebit us - tough to lose guys who have been through camps and through weight training. I think we had 21 guys enter the portal last year - not all were big losses, but two were safeties (Humphries, Monroe) three were WR's (Polk, Johnson, Charles), four were LBs (Bowen, Darien, Faison-Walden, Miller), two were CBs (McPherson, Butler) and we lost Gellerstedt on the OL, Stephens at QB, and Dalton at TE. Even if not stars, that's a lot of depth to replace. Having to count on inexperienced talent is risky when it comes to playing teams like OSU who have years of stockpiled elite talent at every position.
Not to mention bad luck with the health retirements of Nana Asiedu and Jordan Miner.

He is checking them out for the playoff.

exactly, we had it close. Though if they didn’t catch fumble-itis it’s a 20point win.

We’re cathcing up, but they’re still the king of the B10

I swear
I haven't missed a Clemson home game in45 years so you have no clue.
If I’m not mistake Clemson fans were screaming for Dabo to be fired early in his coaching career. But the university did the right thing and stood behind the coach. And look what happened a little patiences. End of story. Franklin will have similar results in the near future.

Prove you are a Clemson fan, what does IPTAY stand for?
When it began it stood for I Pay 10 a year then it went up and up-obviously today, to get any decent benefits you have to pay through the nose. Wy brother, my oldest son and I go in together for tickets. I have not missed a home game in 45 years. My older brother graduated in 66, and 2 of my 3 sons got their BA there-while my youngest son got his masters there. I promise you that my only reason for coming on here was the arguments about play calling etc. and it rang a bell so to speak. I remember some very lean years and like I said, today we have fans that complain if we "only" win by 20. I am not fond Of OSU and was hoping PSU would win. I am sincere when I say I like your coach and love college football. The PoolBoy seems to have issues. Sorry if I caused any hassle-that was not my intention

Reactions: katchthis
I swear

If I’m not mistake Clemson fans were screaming for Dabo to be fired early in his coaching career. But the university did the right thing and stood behind the coach. And look what happened a little patiences. End of story. Franklin will have similar results in the near future.
you are correct-when we lost to our rival 5 years in a row, many wanted to fire Dabo-I won't lie-i had my doubts-shows how smart i am lol

Sure. But, look at Franklin's QB recruiting - the best dual threat QBs he's recruited (Roberson, per Rivals; and Johnson who was a composite 4 star) haven't played a snap yet. Zembiec was a 4 star, but didn't last. TM was a 3 star. Levis a 3 star. Stephens was a 3 star and transferred. Just look at OSU, Oklahoma, Clemson, LSU, and Bama - they all have outstanding QB play nearly each and every year.

Excellent point about QBs. James has not successfully recruited that 5-star QB as Clemson, Georgia, OSU have done. He almost had Fields, but I think Penn State lacks the offensive "cache" of those programs you mention (well, LSU didn't have any until this year) needed to attract a legit 5-star stud QB.

Those schools can point to scoring-machine offenses to attract QBs ... even from other P5 programs. Oklahoma turned transfers into Heisman winners. LSU used a transfer this year to change its reputation as a graveyard for QBs. We all know too well what the Buckeyes did when they needed a star QB.

Over the last 20 years, our top QBs have been Mills (no NFL), MRob (turned FB in NFL), Clark (no NFL), McGloin (some NFL), and Trace (current backup NFL). None was a 1st-round draft pick. Perhaps if Hackenberg had blossomed in the NFL, perception of PSU as a QB school would have changed.

Rahne needs Clifford or Levis to light up defenses next year through the air or he must develop Roberson/Johnson into true dual-threat guys ... otherwise, Penn State will have trouble matching the top programs in QB play annually.

Part of success in CFB is luck. Another part is keeping guys. Imagine this team with S. Miller, R. Bates, C. McGovern, and K. Givens (or Sanders)? Not to mention some of the transfer stuff that seems to have snakebit us - tough to lose guys who have been through camps and through weight training. I think we had 21 guys enter the portal last year - not all were big losses, but two were safeties (Humphries, Monroe) three were WR's (Polk, Johnson, Charles), four were LBs (Bowen, Darien, Faison-Walden, Miller), two were CBs (McPherson, Butler) and we lost Gellerstedt on the OL, Stevens at QB, and Dalton at TE. Even if not stars, that's a lot of depth to replace. Having to count on inexperienced talent is risky when it comes to playing teams like OSU who have years of stockpiled elite talent at every position.
This is going to be the new normal, if any of these player pay proposals go through (and I expect they will). There will be a few top teams and agents, shoe companies, and marketers will steer their players there. We likely will be in the second tier. Good but rarely great. Teams in the top tier will just grab a few stars from the transfer portal and reload. Our drawback is location. We're not in a big market and endorsements with good value for players will be harder to come by. This isn't anything new--we always had a challenge in getting players to come to place in the middle of nowhere--but a legendary coach made it possible. Franklin's a really good coach. But he's not legendary (and that's ok, I'm not complaining). We'll still have good teams and once in a while we'll sneak in a Big Ten championship. Instead of the Power Five conferences, we'll have the Power Five (maybe 10) teams, and it will just be like European soccer were most teams have no chance (Bayern has won over half of all the Bundesliga championships in history--and 8 of the last 10). I will still be fun--but not the same.

Edit: 18 players is almost an entire recruiting class.... If you are only allowed 25 a year...

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Even if not stars, that's a lot of depth to replace. Having to count on inexperienced talent is risky when it comes to playing teams like OSU who have years of stockpiled elite talent at every position.

I'd really like to have kept basically every kid we lost. The LBs weren't missed, and the WRs are probably a wash in the exchange, but the OL and DL depth in particular would have been awesome. Hell, those guys would have been starters. Who am I kidding?

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Excellent point about QBs. James has not successfully recruited that 5-star QB as Clemson, Georgia, OSU have done. He almost had Fields, but I think Penn State lacks the offensive "cache" of those programs you mention (well, LSU didn't have any until this year) needed to attract a legit 5-star stud QB.

I have to point out your one misspelling. It is not "cache" but "ca$h".

Reactions: Option Bob
Re-watching the game (yes, masochist) and it’s unbelievable how many times am they went 5 wide and were able to make huge chunks of yardage. On designed runs their center would man up with our shadow LB (seemed to vary - why not keep Parsons there full time?) and Field should wait for them to engage and then make a move. On broken pass plays we did better but missed some tackles that gave way to big yardage. We did better containing Dobbins when we didn’t run blitz. Parsons would get swallowed up at the line and Dobbins would bounce outside for big gains.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT