ADVERTISEMENT

2021-2023 Transfer Portal news

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt we see a lot of Olympic redshirts. Take Brooks, he greyshirted, has a Covid year and then an Olympic redshirt. To use the last year of eligibility in 2025, he will be 25 years old, with nothing to prove other than being a 4 timer. At that point strong consideration would have to be given to joining NLWC fulltime and getting paid.

Similar for Carter. He wants Olympics and then MMA. Why come back to college in 2025 to use the last year of eligibility when he can get paid to fight/wrestle.

I think they both wrestle next year but are on pitch counts throughout the season to allow for freestyle competitions. That is what we saw with Cassar in 2020.

Cael doesn’t punt anymore…. That’s a myth. He just reloads and coaches the kids for the bright lights. Duals, tournaments, and B1Gs are just preliminaries for the mid March run. Look at the margins since the last punt year. PSU, but for injuries, would have been all over Iowa in 2020 and 2021. Yes, PSU does suffer from injuries like everyone else. It bit them in those two years.
It seems like TNT also coaches the kids for the bright lights. I noticed Lee squinting while looking at the bright lights.

For the record, I hope we do not bring in a transfer. Howard has been working his butt off for a chance to compete healthy next year. But if they were to get a transfer, I doubt it would be Ramos. He sounded like a kid who loves where he is and the people around him. It’s fun to root for non-PSU wrestlers- can’t bring everyone into the PSU room.
I agree with you on Howard and I'm hoping in 2 years that an improving Cael Nasdeo can help the team at 125.

Reactions: PSUer1989
North Carolina is pretty good graduate degree
True, though within the MBA world it's viewed as more of a Southeastern regional school than a national school.

Meaning, their placement office doesn't have the reach of some other schools. They do get some NYC employer interest but you're more likely to get hired into Charlotte or Atlanta. If you want to go to Chicago or west of the Mississippi, other schools can help more.

For that reason, starting salaries average lower than at national schools like NW and Michigan.

Reactions: District four
I doubt we see a lot of Olympic redshirts. Take Brooks, he greyshirted, has a Covid year and then an Olympic redshirt. To use the last year of eligibility in 2025, he will be 25 years old, with nothing to prove other than being a 4 timer. At that point strong consideration would have to be given to joining NLWC fulltime and getting paid.

Similar for Carter. He wants Olympics and then MMA. Why come back to college in 2025 to use the last year of eligibility when he can get paid to fight/wrestle.

I think they both wrestle next year but are on pitch counts throughout the season to allow for freestyle competitions. That is what we saw with Cassar in 2020.
This. IMHO we are done punting. Our program is at the point where we bring in enough talent every year or so to keep the ball rolling continuously. Aaron and Carter have bigger goals but are also deeply vested in the team. They will likely follow the 'Snyder Plan' next year, focusing mostly on freestyle but wresting some for the team. Let's face it, they don't need to practice folkstyle to dominate at NCAAs next year. They are that talented.

Yeah just find top 10 MBA programs and filter out wrestling programs. That leaves what El Jefe said. NW or Michigan seem like the obvious choice and to me NW seems better because of the Chicago land connections especially around the I-Banking if that's what he wants to do.
If he asked me --- and thankfully for him he doesn't -- I'd advise him to go to Michigan.

You're right about Chicago connections but Michigan has tons of them too. The big difference is immediate proximity -- but as a varsity athlete with an MBA workload, he won't have time to take full advantage. He'll have to pick and choose his spots.

There is no comparison from the wrestling angle -- and especially if he wishes to do any freestyle at all, with Beloglazov at Michigan.

If he weren't wrestling, different story.

Reactions: hlstone
Alright, I'll jump in, and just for the entertainment value, I'll aim for complete thermonuclear HR Meltdown.

Navy Seals be damned, or at least for 5 more years. Nate Jesuroga, Bam!
Hmmm, Penn State does have an excellent ROTC program 🤔😉

I'll go on the record they will be taking it and we are punting next year, but when we punt and we start to figure out how many points we will have at NCAAs with a Truax, Robbie Howard, etc., we will be pleasantly surprised and realize how good we really have it.
I respectfully disagree. This program and team is way beyond the punting years. I firmly believe you will never see another punt season during Cael’s tenure.

If he asked me --- and thankfully for him he doesn't -- I'd advise him to go to Michigan.

You're right about Chicago connections but Michigan has tons of them too. The big difference is immediate proximity -- but as a varsity athlete with an MBA workload, he won't have time to take full advantage. He'll have to pick and choose his spots.

There is no comparison from the wrestling angle -- and especially if he wishes to do any freestyle at all, with Beloglazov at Michigan.

So 174? Is Massa still around to roll with too?

Duke could fit for school, but why for wrestling.

Alright, I'll jump in, and just for the entertainment value, I'll aim for complete thermonuclear HR Meltdown.

HR if that happened:

HardZealousDarklingbeetle-max-1mb.gif

Reactions: Ja1339
So 174? Is Massa still around to roll with too?

Duke could fit for school, but why for wrestling.
Not sure where Massa ended up. He was teaching in Lansing when he returned for his last year, but had quit that job.

Duke is also seen as more of a southeast regional MBA with some NYC ties. Also zero wrestling scholarships and a shallow roster.

What was that other kid that was 125 that went somewhere else in big tens. Shit can't remember his name everyone wanted him as a top recruit. Sucks getting old lol

What was that other kid that was 125 that went somewhere else in big tens. Shit can't remember his name everyone wanted him as a top recruit. Sucks getting old lol
Goofer Troy Spratley is the only other one in that neighborhood.

Not sure where Massa ended up. He was teaching in Lansing when he returned for his last year, but had quit that job.

Duke is also seen as more of a southeast regional MBA with some NYC ties. Also zero wrestling scholarships and a shallow roster.
I thought Barr - in the recent interview - says he still practices with Massa...

Reactions: El-Jefe

Does it really matter these days? He’s a high profile student with plenty of stars on his resume. There is no allotted salary based on school.

Does it really matter these days? He’s a high profile student with plenty of stars on his resume. There is no allotted salary based on school.
At that level, you bet it does.

My brother attended a top 10 MBA program. He had a fighter pilot classmate who got the 3rd degree in interviews over having missed an enemy target in combat.

Reactions: NCPsuFan
For the record, I hope we do not bring in a transfer. Howard has been working his butt off for a chance to compete healthy next year. But if they were to get a transfer, I doubt it would be Ramos. He sounded like a kid who loves where he is and the people around him. It’s fun to root for non-PSU wrestlers- can’t bring everyone into the PSU room.

Maybe their looking at the portal to fill a gap at 33 if Howard is going 25.

Reactions: creamery freak
Maybe their looking at the portal to fill a gap at 33 if Howard is going 25.
The portal at 125 is a good insurance policy if Howard re injures himself. Steen will be bigger and improved but possibly not ready yet to be a potential point scorer at Nationals.

Im rooting for him but Steen has a long way to go physically, mentally and technically before he’s in the conversation. He showed effort but match results speak for themselves
The same can be said for the Freshman seasons of many others like Adam Lynch, Brian Pearsall, Frank Molinaro, James English and many others who went on to success...give Gary some time.

That's an unusually positive outlook for you. But let's bully Facundo off the team.

A few days ago, you were bullying Facundo off of campus.

Your level of hypocrisy & inconsistency is staggering.

From his posting it seems more like he’s anti-Howard than he is pro-Steen.

I think he’s been angling to snag Cathy Lee as our 125lb transfer and views Steen as less of a threat to compete to start at that weight.

With the recruits coming the next couple of years for the mid to upper weights there will be no need to bullying someone off the team. It will be the Darwin theory.

Last edited:
The same can be said for the Freshman seasons of many others like Adam Lynch, Brian Pearsall, Frank Molinaro, James English and many others who went on to success...give Gary some time.
Molinaro was an AA as a RS Fr.

I get the "give Gary some time" sentiment, but if we are discussing next year's line-up, I think he'll need more time than that.

Going from 6-15 (0-3 at Bigs) to a NQ is a big step in one year. Sure, it could happen. Howard staying healthy all year could also happen, I hope so, but I'll be okay if Cael brings in an insurance policy at the lower weights.

Reactions: Antaeus and Ski
I would love to see Steen do well but I just dont think he will ever get big enough as for Nasdeo I said earlier he will not be a starter but he looked much better the 2nd half of the season I hope I am wrong!But Robby is still here!

Reactions: diggerpup
I would love to see Steen do well but I just dont think he will ever get big enough as for Nasdeo I said earlier he will not be a starter but he looked much better the 2nd half of the season I hope I am wrong!But Robby is still here!
Really? When was his last match?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT