ADVERTISEMENT

2021-2023 Transfer Portal news

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wear life like a loose garment.
toga-animal-house-shouting-gjc7tuyumze8t5p3.gif

Looks like Franek and Caliendo from NDSU are in the portal. According to HR.
I thought the portal was closed? I’m sure there are exceptions especially when there is a coaching change. Losing those 2 would be horrible for NDSU. Would seem kind of odd seeing how Obe Blanc was on staff for the last 4 years but maybe they have a great relationship with Kish or just looking for greener pastures

Last edited:
You give yourself too much credit.
Or he is trying to say that he is Gunsie under another user name. Or he slipped because who besides Gunsie would think that they are the most hated here? Not anyone that interacted with him.

Last edited:
Reactions: PD4thespawn
No amount of scholly money is worth what some coaches put athletes through mentally and physically.
That’s why so many scholarship athletes over the years have given up their scholarships and walked away… because the money just wasn’t worth it.

Oh wait…

I thought the portal was closed? I’m sure there are exceptions especially when there is a coaching change. Losing those 2 would be horrible for NDSU. Would seem kind of odd seeing how Obe Blanc was on staff for the last 4 years but maybe they have a great relationship with Kish or just looking for greener pastures
I think Franek would be a graduate senior. So he can go at any time. Not sure with caliendo. But Mineo posted that Iowa offered Caliendo six figures. I’m pretty sure he posts that on every transfer to troll HR and they take the bait every time.

Or he is trying to say that he is Gunsie under another user name. Or he slipped because who besides Gunsie would think that they are the most hated here? Not anyone that interacted with him.
"We we we we we.."

Grow a pair. 😆 🤣 😂

He wrestled Figueroa really tough at Cliff Keen, he almost beat him in SV.
At some point last year McHenry was ranked in the top 25 by some ranking site. He is very quick and has talent. What he needs is height, weight, length and strength. Nothing a few surgeries and a recovery year can't fix. Seriously....I look forward to watching him if Robbie takes a few matches off.

Last edited:
Reactions: David Keller
McHenry is a fringe qualifier type guy. Maybe some top 20 upside. With Howard's injury struggles, that is a nice depth improvement at 125 over Steen.

I wouldn't expect him to have a big impact though. He took Figs to OT, but also lost to Mauger and Andre Gonzalez. His best result was 5-4 over teammate Medley, who eventually beat him out for the spot anyway.

McHenry is a fringe qualifier type guy. Maybe some top 20 upside. With Howard's injury struggles, that is a nice depth improvement at 125 over Steen.

I wouldn't expect him to have a big impact though. He took Figs to OT, but also lost to Mauger and Andre Gonzalez. His best result was 5-4 over teammate Medley, who eventually beat him out for the spot anyway.
All of this is true but I think 125 is the weight where a fringe Top 20 guy can make a run to the podium with a favorable draw. A 27/28 seed AA'ed this year (though Cardinale isn't a typical 28 seed but he was super banged up), a 10/8 seed was the 3/4 match. Hell, no offense to your former Hoosier but Liam Cronin was the 3 seed.

I can see McHenry being a better tournament wrestler (without making a cut) since he is a 2x Cadet World Champ (at 100 pounds lol) I wouldn't bet on it at all (more likely he misses NCAAs or goes 1-2) but I am excited at the prospect of a potential NQ since sadly, that's more of a sure thing right now than Howard.'I'll use the term you used before, it's just a weight where you need to get a guy there and maybe something happens.

For a note though, almost every top guy has a bad loss of some kind last year. Noto lost to Tucker Owens last year. Ramos lost to Anthony Molton and got majored by a hobbled DeAugustino. It's a weight with parity. Also, Medley rewon the spot because McHenry got hurt at CKLV.

All of this is true but I think 125 is the weight where a fringe Top 20 guy can make a run to the podium with a favorable draw. A 27/28 seed AA'ed this year (though Cardinale isn't a typical 28 seed but he was super banged up), a 10/8 seed was the 3/4 match. Hell, no offense to your former Hoosier but Liam Cronin was the 3 seed.

I can see McHenry being a better tournament wrestler (without making a cut) since he is a 2x Cadet World Champ (at 100 pounds lol) I wouldn't bet on it at all (more likely he misses NCAAs or goes 1-2) but I am excited at the prospect of a potential NQ since sadly, that's more of a sure thing right now than Howard.'I'll use the term you used before, it's just a weight where you need to get a guy there and maybe something happens.

For a note though, almost every top guy has a bad loss of some kind last year. Noto lost to Tucker Owens last year. Ramos lost to Anthony Molton and got majored by a hobbled DeAugustino. It's a weight with parity. Also, Medley rewon the spot because McHenry got hurt at CKLV.
Also--Medley just completely dominated Gary in the dual, and beat 7-2 at B1Gs. Kurt may well be an upgrade, but as we all now, there are many levels to this thing.

Don't forget, even Spencer was a top 6 guy last year.

I get it, Shane had a phenomenal tournament…..if that’s the Shane we saw this year then he can definitely win…..I assume sasso stays at 49 and ridge Lovett will be back this year…..def has a chance though
And Shapiro. Definitely a tall order but love the progression.

Reactions: NCPsuFan and USPMAN
Owen Pentz is in the portal as well as Franek and Caliendo from NDSU. Those are their 3 best guys. Really sucks for that program and new coach Obe Blanc. I know people are saying Iowa is pushing hard for Caliendo but he’s a 165 where they already have Kennedy and then they have Brands at 174 so where does he fit? I would rather have Caliendo over Kennedy but it’s close and if he comes then I wouldn’t be surprised if Kennedy left. Franek would be a great 1 year option for them however and Pentz would be a massive upgrade over Franklin or Glazier. Juan Mora transferred out of NDSU as well and he followed Kish to Oklahoma. Wonder if any of these other guys are going that route? Overall, NDSU has 6 guys in the portal including DeAnthony Parker

This is "my son, my wife, and I went there on a recruiting trip and the coaches were completely open and blunt about it" knowledge. As a private school I don't think Villanova's NCAA Report is public.
Would be interested in seeing the report as Universities are required by the Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act to file athletic-related revenues and expenses reports each year.

I’m curious to see how good of a recruiter Hidlay is. Having PA roots with connections in NC should help to broaden NDSU’s recruiting area
His personality seems awesome and obviously he has credibility as a wrestler. That being said, NDSU might be geographically tough to convince the best top kids to come from PA.

His personality seems awesome and obviously he has credibility as a wrestler. That being said, NDSU might be geographically tough to convince the best top kids to come from PA.
Was out in ND last winter. It was one of 2 states that I’ve never seen, so I drove the whole loop (Minot, Bismarck, Fargo). Fargo is industrial in that midwestern kind of way. East, West, North, or South of the city …. it’s a lot of white. The bars were great! For a kid with the right kind of personality, Fargo would be a cozy and friendly place. You could definitely focus exclusively on wrestling. Most eastern kids would equate the place to Siberia.

Reactions: Sullivan
They did get a pretty good PA wrestler a few years ago. Mifflinburg HWT Nazar Mironenko. But he didn't last long. Word was the oil fields paid better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT