ADVERTISEMENT

2021 B1G Tournament Session IV Thread

I think the diff between the first match (which Venz won) and the second two can explain a lot in regards to the impact of an injury. No excuses for AB in the first match, perhaps his dad can weigh-in, but the point is that injuries, although 'minor' can play a huge impact. That is why we should give some of these young men a break - no idea what they're going through...

Aaron Brooks makes me so proud. He's a BAD ASS. But damn if he's not the politest and most enjoyable bad ass to hear during an interview. He makes me wish we could have a team full of Aaron Brook's and not run out of them. Bo clone, Jason Clone... Now we have what I wish we could clone... for years. Kid is just a dynamite young man... Gritty, unbelievably talented on the mat... but I think I love Aaron's interviews just as well. KID IS PURE CLASS. John.... you have a GREAT YOUNG man that just makes Penn State fans just ooze with PRIDE. 🙏 He's a joy in literally every aspect.

Last edited:
Well you can be bored with 2nd place.

Not bored at all. This is a young team and we all knew there would be bumps in the road. That said I'll take our style of training/competing that has both won us 8 out of the last 9 National Titles and doesn't set the sport back 50 years when all but two of its competitors take the mat.

197 5th Place Match: Michael Beard vs. Lucas Davison (NW)

Per 1
Beard in on a single, takes him to his back but Davison rolls thru, 2-0. Stoppage as Davison may have been injured. Looks as though they'll put him in the concussion protocol, so who knows how long the stoppage will be. Davison is coming back out. 2:42 left in the 1st period. What, the TD was waved off, so it's 0-0. I'd like to see a replay of that. Beard shoots in on a single, to a double, Davison sprawls, puts Beard in a headlock, and nothing either way. Beard shoots, and Davison sprawls again. Davison tries a throw-by, and they are OOB with 1:09 left. Division shoots but the buzzer sounds. End

Per 2
Davison takes bottom. He's to his feet, and he's out in 9 sec, 0-1. Beard in on a high crotch, they scramble, Beard gets behind and gets the TD, 2-1. Davison out quickly, 2-2. Beard gets a low single but the whistle sounds. End. RT @ 13 sec for Beard

Per 3
Beard takes bottom. Davison cuts him, 3-2. Beard in on a single, loses it, grabs the other leg, Davison grabs the far ankle and gets the counter TD, 3-4. Beard has got to stop giving up TD when he's in good position. Beard out, 4-4. Davison in on a low single, Beard grabs an ankle, a scramble, but Davison gets behind for the TD, 4-6. Davison throws in legs. Beard tries a roll, and they go OOB with 29 sec left. Beard with a roll, but Davison stays with him. End. Final, 4-6 decision for Davison

Michael Beard takes 6th place in the B1G Championship

Disappointing. Beard had every opportunity to win that match. Had 3 or 4 great shots but could not finish, then gassed pretty hard in the last 90 seconds. Offered little resistance to the last couple TDs.

• Haha
Reactions: ClarencButthorn
It’s becoming evident that, as supremely talented as our young guns are, they need just a bit more experience. Even if this season was regular in length it would have made a difference.

Next year, though, I don’t care how many Iowa guys come back, it’s our year!

Beard has a way to go with conditioning. Got to legs, can't finish.

Reactions: hohmadw
Think Beard had a little problem with the guys length. Was in on plenty of shots. I think if get some finishes and he can beat that guy.

• Haha
Reactions: ClarencButthorn
The freshman problem: Beard, Joe Lee and even a few others snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Not being able to close out matches when you are ahead. Small mistakes that have big impacts. Ok, yes, hopefully, they learn. But it is obviously happening and happening

And both were grey shirts. You think they would have cleaned this stuff up, so ' freshmsn' problem, not so much

Reactions: Callthestall
Kerkvilet has major bottom issues. He seems to give up when taken down. Also a weight issue. Seems like he is a 220 pounder more than a heavyweight.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT