ADVERTISEMENT

2024-25 PSU Lineup (The Dynasty Continues)

The way Mirasola lost to Sinclair is the main reason why I think a redshirt is essential. Maybe Sinclair is a top hammer (not too familiar with his style) but getting ridden by a high schooler probably not the best indicator that Connor will be ready to go against top college 197s early on the mats. In neutral? I'm sure he can hang now.

The way Mirasola lost to Sinclair is the main reason why I think a redshirt is essential. Maybe Sinclair is a top hammer (not too familiar with his style) but getting ridden by a high schooler probably not the best indicator that Connor will be ready to go against top college 197s early on the mats. In neutral? I'm sure he can hang now.
So, who exactly are the top college 197 pounders coming back next year? Who might Penn State go with? Is Cochran the early favorite? Will they bring in a transfer?

So, who exactly are the top college 197 pounders coming back next year? Who might Penn State go with? Is Cochran the early favorite? Will they bring in a transfer?
A lot coming back if these all decide to return.

Buchanon 3rd
Cardenas 4th
Elam 6th
Little 7th
Beard 8th
Smith, Poznanski, Allred Rd of 12

I expect Salazar to go to 197. Wouldn't be shocked if maybe Bennett Berge did also, he looked bad early season and first match at NCAAs .... might be signs of a hard cut.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
What is interesting is when you look at that group of guys coming back at 197, is that every one of those guys is a bona fide all American. Some of them are probably going to be preseason picks to win it all next year, and Aaron Brooks majored, teched and pinned everybody who he saw this past year in that group.
Agreed. For all our riches, it’s sobering to know that whoever fills 197 this fall (for ALL teams) won’t come close to the next-topic domination we just witnessed in the irreplaceable AB.
It’s equally sobering to rivals that his successor will be rolling around and learning all he can from this all-time great.

What I gathered from the Pyles video is that once AGAIN Cael doesn't have a plan. What we really need is the predictability of a Brands. Tom will only get you half way home but you know that in advance.

Cardenas is in the portal, which means he’s probably calling Cael himself, LOL. If it’s not a sure fire high AA like that in the portal, Cochran is more than fine. He’s not going to win, but he’ll qualify with a chance to get on the podium with a good tournament. If not, PSU will only win by 65 instead of 75, no big deal.

Potential starting lineup in 2025:

Davis
Nagao
Bartlett
SVN
Haines
Messenbrink
Starocci
Barr
Mirasola
Kerkvliet

Potential 2nd String Lineup:

Lilledahl
Gibson
Evans
Kasak
Sealey
Barraclough
Facundo
Ryder
Cochran
Mirasola

The 2nd string lineup could have two finalists (Lilledahl and Kasak) and 6 additional All-American contenders (Evans, Sealey, Barraclough, Facundo, Ryder and Cochran)

Cardenas is in the portal, which means he’s probably calling Cael himself, LOL. If it’s not a sure fire high AA like that in the portal, Cochran is more than fine. He’s not going to win, but he’ll qualify with a chance to get on the podium with a good tournament. If not, PSU will only win by 65 instead of 75, no big deal.
Right now it's Frichionne, Cochran, Connor Mirasola, and that's it, correct? Barr is at 184? I noticed in wrestled stat(or whatever it's called) they have Barr as preseason #15 in the nation. That's how much respect he got already. I think they have Facundo in a similar spot not certain.
Cactus wrestling predicted Lilledahl to win it all at 125. Imagine a program that is so loaded that you have a guy who hasn't enrolled yet as a true freshman who at the moment is a back up.

Davis
Nagao
Bartlett
SVN
Haines
Messenbrink
Starocci
Barr
Mirasola
Kerkvliet

Lilledahl
Gibson
Evans
Kasak
Sealey
Barraclough
Facundo
Ryder
Cochran
Mirasola

The 2nd string lineup could have two finalists (Lilledahl and Kasak) and 6 additional All-American contenders (Evans, Sealey, Barraclough, Facundo, Ryder and Cochran)
U think the 2nd string lineup could beat a top team like Iowa? Ohio st? Etc

Davis
Nagao
Bartlett
SVN
Haines
Messenbrink
Starocci
Barr
Mirasola
Kerkvliet

Lilledahl
Gibson
Evans
Kasak
Sealey
Barraclough
Facundo
Ryder
Cochran
Mirasola

Wow!

Reactions: dicemen99 and mcpat
Right now it's Frichionne, Cochran, Connor Mirasola, and that's it, correct? Barr is at 184? I noticed in wrestled stat(or whatever it's called) they have Barr as preseason #15 in the nation. That's how much respect he got already. I think they have Facundo in a similar spot not certain.
Cactus wrestling predicted Lilledahl to win it all at 125. Imagine a program that is so loaded that you have a guy who hasn't enrolled yet as a true freshman who at the moment is a back up.
Can ryder go 197 or is he too small?

Can ryder go 197 or is he too small?
They mentioned the possibility of Ryder at 184 if Barr wants to bump up to 197, but that was the guy from Flo, and I doubt that can be confirmed or denied. A lot of possible combinations though so I suppose that's another one to throw around. One thing for sure though is this kid Barr is the real thing and is going to be something special, wherever he starts out.

They mentioned the possibility of Ryder at 184 if Barr wants to bump up to 197, but that was the guy from Flo, and I doubt that can be confirmed or denied. A lot of possible combinations though so I suppose that's another one to throw around.
I'm guessing Ryder is going to show vast improvement rolling with dt all year at M2. Can't wait to see this kid wrestle. Of course you can say that about any recruit we have at this point. Barr is another and sealy is another and duke is another and Luke is another ...... Wow we are blessed. Cael must wake up smiling every morning

Reactions: creamery freak
Not those schools…. But maybe a team ranked 10-15
I wouldn't mind seeing the "2nd team" competing for the team dual team championship, if their was such a thing.
Could the "2nd team" make it interesting?

Not those schools…. But maybe a team ranked 10-15
I kinda think the bottom five will go five for five against Iowa. The top five will be interesting but I'm thinking at a minimum we go two for five. This assumes the match is in Rec Hall. The youngsters would get Carvered in CHA.

Reactions: chuckmowl
Hey, maybe next year Gabe Arnold will get his wish and see Carter S. in the dual meet? You never know. That might be a case of the old saying "be careful what you wish for"

The lineup I would like to see:

Lilledahl
Davis
Kasak
SVN
Messenbrink
Haines
Facundo
Barr
Cardinas
Kerkvliet

Yep lots of turmoil, but I kind of want to see both Beau and Carter move on, they have made their mark (granted it's not going to happen), only one transfer at 197, and Mitch and Levi swap. I don't think it's crazy that Kasak could win the spot from Beau if he can manage the weight, and I want to see Facindo with a second chance at being really great. Far too many are writing him off. I didn't want to be negative towards Nagao, but I think Davis' ceiling is higher.

PS - even without Carter and Beau, I think this lineup sets a new points record.

I agree with the last guy who said it, punt years are a thing of the past, if not for any other reason that even a punt year can result in a national championship. That is insane but true.

Lilledahl
Davis
Kasak
SVN
Messenbrink
Haines
Facundo
Barr
Cardinas
Kerkvliet

Yep lots of turmoil, but I kind of want to see both Beau and Carter move on, they have made their mark (granted it's not going to happen), only one transfer at 197, and Mitch and Levi swap. I don't think it's crazy that Kasak could win the spot from Beau if he can manage the weight, and I want to see Facindo with a second chance at being really great. Far too many are writing him off. I didn't want to be negative towards Nagao, but I think Davis' ceiling is higher.

PS - even without Carter and Beau, I think this lineup sets a new points record.
No Carter, No Nagao? Why not redshirt Davis and let him get comfortable at 133 and let Nagao roll. Kasak at 141 sounds easy, but he was allowed to eat, LOL. It sure will be interesting. Bartlett has decided not to come back already? Or just a guess?

That’s it? How many guys do you need? Only one can take the mat. LOL.

Lilledahl
Davis
Kasak
SVN
Messenbrink
Haines
Facundo
Barr
Cardinas
Kerkvliet

I think Davis and Kasak will both redshirt. They were supposed to this year, so I think they’ll take it next year.

Lilledahl
Nagao
Bartlett
SVN
MM/Haines
Haines/MM
Facundo
Barr
Cochran (Cardenas if he comes here but it’s not necessary)
Kerk

RS: Davis, Kasak, Sealey, Ryder, both Mirasolas

I don’t think Starocci is coming back, but we’ll see, I guess. That group of redshirts is comparable to the caliber of the 2015 RSs, so I guess this is what a “punt” Year looks like now. LOL.

125 Lilledahl
133 Nagao
141 Bartlett
149 SVN
157 MM
165 Levi
174 Barraclough/Facundo - co-starters through mid-January
184 Barr
197 Mirasola (in RS 1st semester, until then Cochran holds down the spot)
285 Kerk

I believe this is how I see it play out as well, although it is nice that PSU has multiple options at several weights (backups, redshirts, stiff competitions, etc. etc.).

I think Davis and Kasak will both redshirt. They were supposed to this year, so I think they’ll take it next year.

Lilledahl
Nagao
Bartlett
SVN
MM/Haines
Haines/MM
Facundo
Barr
Cochran (Cardenas if he comes here but it’s not necessary)
Kerk

RS: Davis, Kasak, Sealey, Ryder, both Mirasolas

I don’t think Starocci is coming back, but we’ll see, I guess. That group of redshirts is comparable to the caliber of the 2015 RSs, so I guess this is what a “punt” Year looks like now. LOL.

I'm not sure why Starocci wouldn't come back. He obviously has aspirations for World and Olympic titles. Other than wrestling, what else is he going to do between now and 2026?

I'm not sure why Starocci wouldn't come back. He obviously has aspirations for World and Olympic titles. Other than wrestling, what else is he going to do between now and 2026?
Train for freestyle and not have to worry about taking classes? He's been very consistent about not coming back. Of course, he could change his mind, but until then, I'm just taking him at his word.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT