ADVERTISEMENT

2024 NCAA's - Day 1 - Match/discussion thread

This.

We wait allllllll year for NCAAs, and some folks can't remember to sign up or refuse to pay $10.

It's the best $10 spent all year long. It's common sense.
Get the bundle Hulu, ESPN+, and Disney...$13 for all three...
Really hate the wrestling from the knees BS.
Truax was telling him c'mon man stand up!!!

Negron leading 3-1 and on top is reversed to his back. The fall is called. But did time run out in 2nd period? They review it and say it was a fall.

285: #1 G.Kerkvliet vs. #17 G.Griess (NAVY)
P1:
Kerk quickly in low on a double for the TD 3-0
Kerk on top, Griess flat
Griess trying to work his way up, but it's Kerk on top, so that's not going very well
Griess flat again
They go out of bounds, restart
Kerk over 1-min RT
Griess on his knees, and then flat again
Kerk trying to lock up a tilt
Griess stall warning
Kerk over 2-min riding time, Griess flat again
Griess gets to a knee & then is flat again
Kerks working a wrist for a turn, cranking on Griess, but nothing
Griess stalling, point Kerk 4-0
Kerk rides him out

P2:
Kerk takes down
Kerk quick turn & escape 5-0
Back on their feet
Tying up in the center of the mat & hand fighting
Kerk shoots, gets another low double for the TD 8-0
Kerk back on top, riding time goes over 3-min, Griess on his belly again
Kerk with a leg in, Griess isn't doing anything or going anywhere
Kerk just trying to find a way to turn
Riding time goes over 4-min
Kerk rides him out

P3:
Griess takes down, but I have no idea why. I guess he likes being on his belly, because he's flat again.
Griess gets to his feet, turns & gets the escape 8-1
Riding time locked
Both guys are tired now. Not much action. Headgear issue, restart
Tying, pushing & backing out, no more action, period ends

#1 G.Kerkvliet MD #17 G.Griess 9-1

Kerk does what was expected & gets the 7th bonus point win this session! What a round!

Session 2:
2 Falls
2 Techs
3 Majors
3 Decisions

Last edited:
Does he really have another year?
He does and want to know whats wild is he could redshirt and come back 2 years from now

19-20 ORS (he qualified so it counts automatically)
20-21 COVID
21-22 FR
22-23 SO
23-24 JR
24-25 SR (but he has his regular redshirt)

Reactions: diggerpup
Mekhi makes that happen doesn't he? It's not like Mekhi is going to try to light it up.

Exactly, 16 Seed Turley (Rutgers) gave Lewis everything he wanted in RD 2 - Turley had a chance to win it in 3rd. Kemp was an 8 Seed and Starocci beat him much easier than Lewis beat 16 Seed Turley. How precisely has Lewis looked better so far than Starocci? Kemp is no slouch and Carter handled him pretty easily - wrestled him extremely conservatively the last 2 periods, probably to conserve energy and take no chances, but controlled the match from the point he scored his TD to the end.

The Nagao and Kasak first round matches surprised me. I had Aaron losing in round two. I did have Kasak winning the first two rounds but thought it possible that Braeden would lose in the first two rounds. So overall, we are sitting almost exactly where I thought we would be going into Friday. 8 in quarters, 2 still going on the backside.

I'm happy with the day!

It is frustrating the way Kerk wrestles. He could have teched this guy with takedowns with ease. I just will never understand the philosophy of riding a guy 4 plus minutes when there is a 3 point takedown and Kerk could have broke him on his feet and got a techfall. Yeah i know it is complaining and in the long run it will not matter. But as a fan its also boring to watch a guy just lay on the other guy when both guys are not really doing anything.

Iowa and OSU trading wins/Losses? Feldman goes to the quarters to be felled by Kerk. Glazier lives to fight another day.

3rd Round Matches:
125: #1 B.Davis vs. #8 R.Figueroa (ASU)
consi 133: #10 A.Nagao vs. #24 J.Chlebove (ASU #2)
141: #2 B.Bartlett vs. #26 V.Vombaur (MINN)
consi 149: #7 T.Kasak vs. #9 E.Fernandez (COR)
157: #1 L.Haines vs. #8 P.Robb (NEB)
165: #2 M.Mesenbrink vs. #10 M.Amine (MICH)
174: #9 C.Starocci vs. #1 M.Lewis (VT)
184: #6 B.Truax vs. #3 D.Plott (OKST)
197: #1 A.Brooks vs. #8 S.Buchanan (OU)
285: #1 G.Kerkvliet vs. #9 N.Feldman (OHST)

It is frustrating the way Kerk wrestles. He could have teched this guy with takedowns with ease. I just will never understand the philosophy of riding a guy 4 plus minutes when there is a 3 point takedown and Kerk could have broke him on his feet and got a techfall. Yeah i know it is complaining and in the long run it will not matter. But as a fan its also boring to watch a guy just lay on the other guy when both guys are not really doing anything.
we'll take him if you don't want him

I think it's mostly to stay healthy. Getting caught under one of these rhinos probably doesn't feel so good. Why put yourself in that position if you can just lay on him the whole time and stay healthy.

It’s day 1. There are 3 days of competition. It’s possible that those guys are coached to pace themselves accordingly.

I think it's mostly to stay healthy. Getting caught under one of these rhinos probably doesn't feel so good. Why put yourself in that position if you can just lay on him the whole time and stay healthy.
Yeah catch and release is no big deal if you're 125 but throwing your body around if you're a giant like GK will take it's toll in you.

Exactly, 16 Seed Turley (Rutgers) gave Lewis everything he wanted in RD 2 - Turley had a chance to win it in 3rd. Kemp was an 8 Seed and Starocci beat him much easier than Lewis beat 16 Seed Turley. How precisely has Lewis looked better so far than Starocci? Kemp is no slouch and Carter handled him pretty easily - wrestled him extremely conservatively the last 2 periods, probably to conserve energy and take no chances, but controlled the match from the point he scored his TD to the end.
Carter has given up a TD in both of his matches to way lesser opponents, he's clearly not going to fight certain positions (and rightfully so) Taking down Mekhi is hard enough as is when you're healthy.

I hope I look like an idiot for doubting Carter but I don't see it unless he REALLY sandbagged today.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT