ADVERTISEMENT

Black Knight Invitational

I see no reason to burn Levi's shirt at this point. if one thinks Levi will be a NQ then so too will TB. If one thinks TB won't, then this victory does not make me think Levi will either. however, maybe by Jan or so things might be completely different one way or another. just my opinion.
10-4. We've all the bases covered. Just my opinion. 😉

actually I think if terrell had more experience wrestling a close match with the lead he might have won that match. with a 1 point lead and 27 seconds left and feeling the ride slipping away, he might have done what tons of others do. that is release his opponent and lock up or sprawl to an headlock position or keep circling feigning shots. with the match that close and with terrell showing much improvement and with the win actually within his grasp, I see no reason to burn Levi's shirt at this point. if one thinks Levi will be a NQ then so too will TB. If one thinks TB won't, then this victory does not make me think Levi will either. however, maybe by Jan or so things might be completely different one way or another. just my opinion.
my guess is he had room knowledge and thought he could ride him out.

I think people are discounting how much room familiarity matters. Unless you are just head and shoulders better than your opponent like Facundo was with Lee close matches with someone you wrestle everyday is the norm. They know your best attacks and what to stay away from. I don’t think we can take away much about how Levi or Claw will do the rest of the year against other opponents from that match. I hope Levi gets a few matches against ranked opponents in the next month or so because that will give us a much better idea of where he’s at.

I think people are discounting how much room familiarity matters. Unless you are just head and shoulders better than your opponent like Facundo was with Lee close matches with someone you wrestle everyday is the norm. They know your best attacks and what to stay away from. I don’t think we can take away much about how Levi or Claw will do the rest of the year against other opponents from that match. I hope Levi gets a few matches against ranked opponents in the next month or so because that will give us a much better idea of where he’s at.
2-1 does not warrant the shirt pull. Now, things MAY change in a month or 6 weeks, but for now, no. At least in my mind, but Cael has 9 National Championships and I went 0-2 in Hershey in my last season as a wrestler lol.

2-1 does not warrant the shirt pull. Now, things MAY change in a month or 6 weeks, but for now, no. At least in my mind, but Cael has 9 National Championships and I went 0-2 in Hershey in my last season as a wrestler lol.
I think you missed my point. A 2-1 match with a teammate is not an indication that each guy will have similar results going forward just because they wrestled a close match.

I think you missed my point. A 2-1 match with a teammate is not an indication that each guy will have similar results going forward just because they wrestled a close match.
I do think Levi has higher bonus potential. Barraclough is tough on top, but more of a rider. Levi gets him flat and works on turns.

So let's see; starting next year and running through 2028, with the kids and recruits we already have in hand through the class of 2024, for 149-197, contributors;

SVN, Haines, Barraclogh, Facundo, Lee/Lee, Starocci, Gibson, Brooks, Barr, Kasak, Sealy, Ryder, and Perry.

Then you have Grey shirts, Red shirts, Olympic shirts.

Throw in a Knox, Duke or Forrest likely inbound in the out years and what do you have?

For TnT or Ryan

For Cael

Reactions: 1AA
Kharchla lost his wrestleoff this year.

I suspect that Haines will get a better tourney such as the Scuffle to show if he should start or shirt.

Oh. OK my bad. You make a great point there. Let's see how Levi does at the scuffle...

I
Remember when Hershey was all that mattered to us as kids? Those days are long gone. Now it's these super tournaments and the Gibson kids and Bo Bassett dont even care. Man, time flies...
Saw some of the best matches in my life at Hershey. Lots of energy in that building even before the first whistle blows. Nothing like it in high school wrestling in my opinion

I

Saw some of the best matches in my life at Hershey. Lots of energy in that building even before the first whistle blows. Nothing like it in high school wrestling in my opinion
giphy.gif

My takeaway is that we need to tamp the breaks on Haines. Unless I've read the board wrong, it seems that most fans had Levi in the lineup by Big Tens.

Like you say, maybe it's room familiarity. Maybe in 5 weeks, things will be different. Right now, though, we have just one data point, and it's possible 2-1 is a good indication of how close they are.

Either way, I think we will be a tough out at 157.

I admit that I thought the new rules would hurt 1st year freshman and their ability to get matches. It seems to be the opposite.
It seems that it has put the burden on the schools to get the kids to the tournaments, rather on their own dime. Saves some of that Slush Fund money.

Plus if you got an injury or want to try a kid out, you can do so without affecting the plan for him (burning his redshirt).

put the burden on the schools to get the kids to the tournaments, rather on their own dime
For true freshman, yes. But due to limits on official competition dates, some schools (e.g., Iowa) have shifted the unattached cost-burden to upperclassmen, who already had to foot the same bill when they were true freshman in RS.

Last edited:
For true freshman, yes. But do to limits of official dates, some schools (e.g., Iowa) have shifted the unattached cost-burden to upperclassmen, who already had to foot the same bill when they were true freshman in RS.
It’s hurting Iowa? Even better!

It’s hurting Iowa? Even better!
Tom Brands mentioned it during an earlier presser.

It may have been an unanticipated side-effect of having already scheduled 16 team competition dates. Next year, maybe Iowa will only schedule 15, like Penn State did this year.

And geographically, maybe Penn State benefits from having more nearby opens that it can send smaller contigents to, so as not to count as a competition date.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcpat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT