ADVERTISEMENT

Black Knight Invitational

Bartlett-Evans was the most fun I've had watching a match in a while. I hope Evans can make 133 next year. SVN looks legit, but we expected that. Facundo's tank and pace look great, but those finishes. BearClaw is obviously much improved - I wouldn't pull Levi's shirt after that match, but think that he will be a lot better come February. Dean looks like the Terminator. He just breaks people now. I am friends with Steen's dad and am pulling hard for Gary. He has a lot to clean up, but if he does he'll be fine.

He had a really good Senior season in HS. Finished 4th but lost to Crookham and Arrington. He wrestled one of my guys twice that year, solid kid and he mopped the floor with him. He really jumped levels from jr to Sr year and looks like he is still on that upward trajectory.
Which high school did he wrestled for?

Which high school did he wrestled for?
Tunkhannock.

Adding onto Rhino's post: Evans that year finished 45-3 with 31 pins. Finished 4th at states behind Crookham, Levi, and Arrington. Losses were 6-1 up a weight to 3x champ Brock McMillan, 6-3 in the state semis to Crookham, and 8-5 in the 3rd place match to Arrington.

His body count was probably a little inflated because D2 AA, still he was a very active wrestler who looked to score points, and didn't wrestle scared of the top guys -- i.e., the kind of guy you want on the team, and who will maximize his opportunity.

Tunkhannock.

Adding onto Rhino's post: Evans that year finished 45-3 with 31 pins. Finished 4th at states behind Crookham, Levi, and Arrington. Losses were 6-1 up a weight to 3x champ Brock McMillan, 6-3 in the state semis to Crookham, and 8-5 in the 3rd place match to Arrington.

His body count was probably a little inflated because D2 AA, still he was a very active wrestler who looked to score points, and didn't wrestle scared of the top guys -- i.e., the kind of guy you want on the team, and who will maximize his opportunity.
Good stuff! If he can't make 133 next year things are gonna be quite interesting between he and Beau..

For those saying a close match with Barraclough shows Levi shouldn't have his redshirt pulled ...

Other than his flu sacked match against Hartman ... nobody could blow it open on Barraclough.
Kaleb Young (2x AA) - won 2-0
Will Lewan (2022 5th) - won 5-2 (think got a late TD also)
Peyton Robb (2022 4th) - won 3-2 (and Barraclough was close to finishing a TD at the end)

But people thought Levi in his second college tournament as a true freshman was going to blow him out when there is room familiarity added? Cael also added that Claw put in a great summer and is better than ever and it's shown. He beat Eyler who was a 2022 NQ and also Munson who just beat Ed Scott also.

Not saying this result is 100% a sign Levi should go but him beating Claw is a really good first step. Levi looked better this weekend than last and is going to loo better next month than this month. By January, it might be a very easy decision tbh.

Last edited:
Another thing that's huge for Beau, he's going to be very difficult for anyone at 141 to finish on ... and I certainly can't see him getting ridden at 141 either. Beau will never be a mass volume attacker but his defense (great positioning) was a very strong point coming out of high school but at 149, wrestlers often just powered through his good positioning.

He had a really good Senior season in HS. Finished 4th but lost to Crookham and Arrington. He wrestled one of my guys twice that year, solid kid and he mopped the floor with him. He really jumped levels from jr to Sr year and looks like he is still on that upward trajectory.
Oh wait did our coaching staff mine another diamond.
Tunkhannock.

That weight was loaded. Saw Rhino talk about his jump from 11-12 grade. Boys must have seen something his senior year.

Bartlett-Evans was the most fun I've had watching a match in a while. I hope Evans can make 133 next year. SVN looks legit, but we expected that. Facundo's tank and pace look great, but those finishes. BearClaw is obviously much improved - I wouldn't pull Levi's shirt after that match, but think that he will be a lot better come February. Dean looks like the Terminator. He just breaks people now. I am friends with Steen's dad and am pulling hard for Gary. He has a lot to clean up, but if he does he'll be fine.
If Gary wasn't on his 👠 he would have better last second shot defense.... The kid knows where he stands on the ladder now and how he can climb it.

Reactions: ChillW
I just don't get defending on your knees. Zero threat offensively. Bad habit?
It works in high school, especially for older kids at lower weights. Most of guys at 106/113 are freshmen/sophomores and aren't powerful enough to blast through an 18 year old. Kinda like mixers for the peewee set. I'm sure it's a hard habit to break.

Reactions: Ski
I think we all agree, that's only a question Beau can answer in his actions. Looking much more aggressive early than last season.
I think we all agree, that's only a question Beau can answer in his actions. Looking much more aggressive early than last season.
It’s really up to him, right? He’s down in the room practicing right now. 😉

Tunkhannock.

Nice. We are blessed that's for sure.

Question is: will he wrestle that way against more seasoned wrestlers or will he revert to his style from last season?
These early season wins are huge for his confidence.

I think last year he KNEW he wasnt at his ideal weight and was extremely tentative to try much.

Maybe C3 will do this with all new guys now.…

Wrestle up your redshirt year🤔😖

They look quite interesting this year.
Yeah most definitely. Guess what I meant by that is this year if reports are true Beau beat him in wrestle offs and now beat him here too I think Cael will roll with Beau. Now next season with another year under his belt and the way Evans is developing, I could see him passing Beau. That would just be crazy to me but in other ways not so much.

Another thing that's huge for Beau, he's going to be very difficult for anyone at 141 to finish on ... and I certainly can't see him getting ridden at 141 either. Beau will never be a mass volume attacker but his defense (great positioning) was a very strong point coming out of high school but at 149, wrestlers often just powered through his good positioning.

Here's some commentary regarding his move to 141, from the man himself:

Also in this weeks (and way more weeks coming) episode of 141 is wide open ...

3 of the Top 8 on Intermat lost
Carlson to Happel
Hart to Vasquez
D'Emilio to McNeil (who is 4-3 on the year) and D'Emilio might not end up the starter

Woods is injured and Matthews hasn't posted a bonus win yet despite wrestling 3 non NQ.

Cole Mattin looks poised to make a jump into the Top 8 after his start and I would be shocked if Bartlett ever loses to him (Beau is 2-0 against him, once at 141 in the free year 8-4 and last year unfortunately Mattin got injured like the first 10 seconds but Beau looked in position to at least get 2+2 early)

Reactions: NittanyChris
even setting aside any improvement in his actual wrestling from being at the correct weight, he should see an improvement from being at a much weaker weight. he could get zero % better and AA at 141. i'm expecting a solid year (unfortunately). but you're right, he's not likely to be an entertainer.

even setting aside any improvement in his actual wrestling from being at the correct weight, he should see an improvement from being at a much weaker weight. he could get zero % better and AA at 141. i'm expecting a solid year (unfortunately). but you're right, he's not likely to be an entertainer.
I also do expect some actual wrestling improvement. I pointed out before that the 2nd to 3rd year in the room jump is often when we see the biggest improvements from PSU guys. Combined with the fact Beau's first year was the COVID year and I think we do see improvement.

I said before but Luke Pletcher at 133 might be a solid comparison for Beau. He would randomly beat guys ranked in the 60s 5-3 but then beat #5 4-3 lol.

Reactions: js8793
For those saying a close match with Barraclough shows Levi shouldn't have his redshirt pulled ...

Other than his flu sacked match against Hartman ... nobody could blow it open on Barraclough.
Kaleb Young (2x AA) - won 2-0
Will Lewan (2022 5th) - won 5-2 (think got a late TD also)
Peyton Robb (2022 4th) - won 3-2 (and Barraclough was close to finishing a TD at the end)

But people thought Levi in his second college tournament as a true freshman was going to blow him out when there is room familiarity added? Cael also added that Claw put in a great summer and is better than ever and it's shown. He beat Eyler who was a 2022 NQ and also Munson who just beat Ed Scott also.

Not saying this result is 100% a sign Levi should go but him beating Claw is a really good first step. Levi looked better this weekend than last and is going to loo better next month than this month. By January, it might be a very easy decision tbh.
actually I think if terrell had more experience wrestling a close match with the lead he might have won that match. with a 1 point lead and 27 seconds left and feeling the ride slipping away, he might have done what tons of others do. that is release his opponent and lock up or sprawl to an headlock position or keep circling feigning shots. with the match that close and with terrell showing much improvement and with the win actually within his grasp, I see no reason to burn Levi's shirt at this point. if one thinks Levi will be a NQ then so too will TB. If one thinks TB won't, then this victory does not make me think Levi will either. however, maybe by Jan or so things might be completely different one way or another. just my opinion.

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT