ADVERTISEMENT

Black Knight Invitational

Time to grab a white claw
Are You Kidding Jason Sudeikis GIF by Apple TV+

Reactions: PASLP2 and mcpat
What did we learn today?

Steen is a fringe NQ level wrestler. Tough to say he’ll qualify with the Big Ten as good as it is, but he’s probably around 30-40 if I had to guess.

Evans is for real. He was in deep a couple times on Beau. Two good options there. They wrestled a great match. Great scrambles.

SVN is looking like an AA level guy this year. Great win with so little college experience over #14.

Haines and Barraclough are very close at this point and both NQ level. Is it too close to pull Haines’ redshirt?

Facundo shows good activity and prob needs to finish a bit more cleanly to be a AA.

165 has great depth. Nice tourney by Matt Lee.

Ball continues to impress with a 3rd place finish after giving a ranked wrestler a great match.

Dean is the same guy we thought he was.

Cochran looked tough when I saw him wrestle too, but I see he withdrew in the consis.

Does anybody know if Levi wiped out Bearclaw's RT point?
I rewatched it. Reversal with about 30 secs to go and subsequent rideout erased it. Flo called it right. I just missed it completely.

I edited the PBP. It’s right now.

Reactions: Idahopennstatefan
Looks like we won the tournament with 110.5 points. Army tied with Indiana for second with 95.

Reactions: mcpat
Wonder for the 141 and 157 matches, did familiarity lead to the close and scores or are the guys close in talent and progression at this point. Not sure how to read into these.

Other than that, great win by SVN against a ranked opponent.

Dean was Dean. Probably did need to be at that tournament other than to get some work in this weekend.

Facundo sounded very active and impressive. Good showing for a guy who has a defense first reputation.

Backups had a nice showing as well.

Wonder for the 141 and 157 matches, did familiarity lead to the close and scores or are the guys close in talent and progression at this point. Not sure how to read into these.

Dean was Dean. Probably did need to be at that tournament other than to get some work in this weekend.

Facundo sounded very active and impressive. Good showing for a guy who has a defense first reputation.

Haines beat the #28 and #29 ranked wrestlers, Lukez and Nation, before beating #31 Barraclaugh. I don’t think it is room familiarity. They are just close at this point with Levi having more upside. He won this wrestle off. Turn him loose on Dec 2!

Ski covered 157.

Beau and Evans let it fly and with some of Evans’ wins, I have to think it is that close too.

Reactions: PAgeologist
What's the background with evans

I’m sure others can do better than me, but he’s over-achieving since arriving at PSU. I think he’s now beaten 3, maybe 4 NQs between his redshirt freshman year last year and this year. He wrestles an aggressive style too. Fun to watch.

He’s beaten the following wrestlers who have been NQs at some point: Rooks, Flores, Koderhandt, LaJoie.

Last edited:
I’m sure others can do better than me, but he’s over-achieving since arriving at PSU. I think he’s now beaten 3, maybe 4 NQs between his redshirt freshman year last year and this year. He wrestles an aggressive style too. Fun to watch.
He had a really good Senior season in HS. Finished 4th but lost to Crookham and Arrington. He wrestled one of my guys twice that year, solid kid and he mopped the floor with him. He really jumped levels from jr to Sr year and looks like he is still on that upward trajectory.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT